***Auburn vs. Samford -- Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

Auburn 31

Samford 7

B3_GKXEn_Cc_AAFx_I8.jpg

Scott Fillmer photo

Coach Malzahn with Seniors after the game ...

B3GGmG9IIAAfGpf.jpg

via @fototodd

• Auburn finishes with 386 total yards; 200 on the ground
  • Cameron Artis-Payne, SEC's leading rusher, had 24 carries, 129 yds 1 TD
  • Kris Frost had 13 tackles and an interception
  • Lot of guys on offense got time for first time in a while. Peyton Barber, for one, Jonathan Wallace with a catch at WR

B3_GKVQGIYAAWOj_X.jpg

via @WesleySinor

Malzahn is here. "Happy to get win No. 8. Happy for our seniors. This is a special group, and it's good to send them out on a high note."

Malzahn: "Real special for me to coach against Coach Sullivan...we knew they were going to play their guts out."

Malzahn on Auburn's slow start: "They knew a couple of our plays early. We've got to do a better job dealing with that."

Malzahn said last week that he felt like there was carryover from the A&M game to the UGA game. Said he didn't feel the same way tonight.

Malzahn said "we're hoping" WR D'haquille Williams will be back next week for the Iron Bowl.

Malzahn has no update on DE DaVonte Lambert, who injured his leg on Samford's first play from scrimmage.

Malzahn on the "football-only" mentality of this week without school: "I think it will help."

Malzahn: "I feel good about we're at going into the Iron Bowl."

@JFergusonAU

image.jpg

via @FootballAU

image.jpg

via @FootballAU

image.jpg

via @FootballAU

image.jpg

via @FootballAU

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sucks that JJ only got 1 possession though. Wasted opportunity to get some more PT for next year.

par for the course... less the better it seems.... the same 4-5-6 get the ball and rest show the new recruits what to expect.

Did what needed doing....keep it simple and don't get anyone hurt......mission accomplished.

Shame jj didn't get much time on the field. This was the game to get alot of different people the ball.

Not particularly a pretty game at any point other than the second half of the 2nd quarter. We won though. Good for now and hopefully didnt hurt recruiting.

Not a masterpiece, but the D played well. O was O-kay, so to speak. War Eagle!

This was Samford for goodness sake. Our D sees their offense every day.

I'm never gonna fault the D if we give up only 7 points. Sorry.

Cant argue with that.

I'm just perplexed as to what happened to the team I watched destroy LSU. AU comes out week after week and looks like they want to be doing anything besides playing football to begin the game. It's one of the most puzzling things I've ever seen watching AU football.

We have given up more to other FCS teams so yes that was a good thing. I have to say that in spite of the troubles they have had this season the last two games haven't been that terrible on that side of the ball. It seems like we can't get both sides to play good at the same time.

What's the deal with Melvin Ray? All he does is catch every pass thrown to him, and then go to the bench. Is it blocking? Body odor? For an offense that looks like we looked the last two weeks, he had to have po'd somebody, cause he looks better than anyone we play at this position, with the possible exception of Duke. Any thoughts?

We have given up more to other FCS teams so yes that was a good thing. I have to say that in spite of the troubles they have had this season the last two games haven't been that terrible on that side of the ball. It seems like we can't get both sides to play good at the same time.

LSU was our most complete game. If we can summon that against Bama, I bet we win. If not, it'll be a long day.

If we play like we have the last two weeks we get our brains beat out next weekend. If we play like we are capable of playing we have a chance. Should be interesting to see which Auburn team shows up. The guys that ran LSU off the field or the mess we have seen recently.

What's the deal with Melvin Ray? All he does is catch every pass thrown to him, and then go to the bench. Is it blocking? Body odor? For an offense that looks like we looked the last two weeks, he had to have po'd somebody, cause he looks better than anyone we play at this position, with the possible exception of Duke. Any thoughts?

Ray looked great. Keep him in and feed him the ball, I say.

We are told by those who know more than we do to just trust these coaches. That is all we can do. I am like you, though. Sometimes it doesn't make sense, but who am I to question?

Archived