Defensive Recruiting Looking Up

AuburnNTexas

Throughout this past year I hear a lot of woe is Auburn we can't recruit. All the best players are going somewhere else.

Two biggest areas of need on Defense were D-Line and Line Backer.

So far we have gone a long way towards addressing those needs.

We have 5 players were say they will commit to us on D-line all are Defensive Ends but have very good size for SEC and a couple might grow into DT's

Nick Coe 6'5" 260

Marlon Davidson 6'4" 260

Paul James (JC Player) 6'4" 255

David Marshall 6'4" 265

Daquan Newkirk 6'3" 245

In addition we expect Prince to be healthy enough to play this year

Keith N just CB's Derrick Brown if that holds and we pick up Gary or Jackson or both we will be stocked in D-Line

LB we only have one so far but Tre Threat is a pretty good player. We still need at least two more Linebackers three would be ideal

In addition we have a quality CB John Broussard and a very good Safety with Marlon Character.

For those who are asking what Garner has done for us lately a lot of the D-Linemen in this class like Auburn because of Garner.

We have a lot of talented young DB's this year who have seen a good bit of PT so we are strong there but could always use another lockdown corner if available.

At this point in time I am very pleased with D recruiting and we still have time to finish filling some needs especially Line Backer.

With returning players we will have real solid depth in D-Line next year allowing us to keep fresh players on the field especially in the 4th quarter.

I still don't like the type of d ends we're getting. We're getting d ends that will be good against the run but we're not recruiting those super athletic types that can rush the passer it seems. I could be wrong I'm just going off of film and stuff which certainly doesn't tell the complete story

I still don't like the type of d ends we're getting. We're getting d ends that will be good against the run but we're not recruiting those super athletic types that can rush the passer it seems. I could be wrong I'm just going off of film and stuff which certainly doesn't tell the complete story

Agreed. Cowart certainly isn't a rush end. Maybe Prince will be though.

Holland is a pass rusher. His future is to be Cass McKinzy 2.0.

Also, from what I saw of his film, Newkirk is a pass rusher on the edge.

The fact of the matter is, Will prefers a 3-4, and defensive ends in the 3-4 don't look like the DEs that we're used to seeing. You're looking for Marcel Dareus or Marcus Spears. Not Dee Ford. Pass rushers have a role, but they often play with their hand out of the dirt in this defense. The thing we (and Bama) are searching for is a guy that can create pressure from the inside of the line.

Don't you wish that upon Jeff.

With the way he played this year, I think it's safe to say he'll be a notch or two better than McKinzy.

However, had we had WM the last 2 years McKinzy is probably a much better player as well.

Also, from what I saw of his film, Newkirk is a pass rusher on the edge.

The fact of the matter is, Will prefers a 3-4, and defensive ends in the 3-4 don't look like the DEs that we're used to seeing. You're looking for Marcel Dareus or Marcus Spears. Not Dee Ford. Pass rushers have a role, but they often play with their hand out of the dirt in this defense. The thing we (and Bama) are searching for is a guy that can create pressure from the inside of the line.

Newkirk could be a running back. He can fly. LoL. He is a great athlete

Newkirk could potentially have grade issues. Don't be surprised if JaMarcus King rejoins this class to give us added experience in the secondary. I agree that we need 2 more LB's, Antwuan Jackson, one of Derrick Brown or Rashan Gary, and a highly rated safety.

I'd hate to not get Newkirk, especially if he has that edge rush ability we DESPERATELY.

Hopefully we do see this class round out nicely.

Mckinzy was our best defensive player once he moved to the buck

I meant more like the inconsistency leading up to him playing buck and his career as a whole.

Mckinzy was our best defensive player once he moved to the buck

I meant more like the inconsistency leading up to him playing buck and his career as a whole.

Yes. That's what I read your comment to mean. No doubt he played great after being moved to buck this year. I'm glad he got that chance to show his stuff. Too bad he was under utilized and perhaps under motivated until this year. He obviously has great skills.

Fine. Holland's future is to be Cass-at-Buck 2.0

Similar build. Similar skills and aggression rushing the passer.

Throughout this past year I hear a lot of woe is Auburn we can't recruit. All the best players are going somewhere else.

We have 5 players were say they will commit to us on D-line all are Defensive Ends but have very good size for SEC and a couple might grow into DT's

Nick Coe 6'5" 260

Marlon Davidson 6'4" 260

David Marshall 6'4" 265

Daquan Newkirk 6'3" 245

Keith N just CB's Derrick Brown if that holds and we pick up Gary or Jackson or both we will be stocked in D-Line

LB we only have one so far but Tre Threat is a pretty good player. We still need at least two more Linebackers three would be ideal

In addition we have a quality CB John Broussard and a very good Safety with Marlon Character.

For those who are asking what Garner has done for us lately a lot of the D-Linemen in this class like Auburn because of Garner.

We have a lot of talented young DB's this year who have seen a good bit of PT so we are strong there but could always use another lockdown corner if available.

At this point in time I am very pleased with D recruiting and we still have time to finish filling some needs especially Line Backer.

With returning players we will have real solid depth in D-Line next year allowing us to keep fresh players on the field especially in the 4th quarter.

Marlon is 6'3" 280 lbs, btw

I would love to see us sign 2 of the 3 big DTs, a couple of top LB prospects, and another top DB.

WR was our biggest need on O imho. And we knocked that out of the park!

Now, with JJ being a total flop and the jury still out on SW (I think he has a lot of potential btw), we need to take a serious look at some HS QBs. It may be too late for 2016.

I think Gus needs to decide if he wants DTQBs or PPQBs and stick with his plan. I'm not sure this "best available" approach is working out.

Nick Coe 6'5" 260

Marlon Davidson 6'4" 260

David Marshall 6'4" 265

Daquan Newkirk 6'3" 245

I left out a DT in my original post'

Tashawn Manning 6'4" and 270 while only a 3* many people think he is a steal and will surprise a lot of people.

Archived