War Damn Bar-B-Q visitors list & thread (July 23rd)

ellitor

2018 OL Tank Jenkins .... 4-star kid from Montgomery, Ala. .... just arrived.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Britt, I'm told the AU staff thinks he has made great strides as a player the past 6 months. They are impressed by his work ethic and the fact he continues to improve.

2018 LB Nathaniel Watson named Auburn his leader.

Tigers are really high on him.

6-4/215

Only 15 years old.

Watson is great nephew of Tommie Agee, former Auburn great.

Linebacker De'Andre Wilder says Auburn and Miami are his co-leaders.

Will return for the Clemson game.

Will be an official visit.

4-star safety Devon Hunter DID make it.

Tray Bishop leaving now.

In sum, we believe Auburn hit a homerun and is VERY close to adding him to the class.

He COULD still announce Monday. Stay tuned.

Big day for Auburn.

Sounds like the coaches doing work. 

Former Tide safety commit Xavier McKinney is wrapping things up.

Auburn now a factor, he says. Plans to attend the Auburn-Clemson game. ... He didn't say it, but Clemson probably is the team to beat.

Sounds like Auburn really improved its stock.

4-star WR Henry Ruggs just left .... Lot of positives for AU.

Has delayed decision. Plans to return. Likes Kodi Burns a lot.

Story coming.

My guess based on everything before today is Bama may not be ready to take him.

Britt will stay the night ....

Buggs' visit going well. Spending the night. Plans to spend lots of time with Devaroe Lawrence and Maurice Swain.

Brandon Martin offered a couple of "no comment" answers when asked about his recent decommitment. He also wouldn't say what schools he's looking at right now. He did say Auburn is still in the mix and he was thankful the coaches stood by him through the whole fiasco.

Am told the staff is very pleased with how things went today. Lot of bounce in their step.

But as one source told us, "They've got to play ... they've got to win."

Tigers believe this could be a really strong class, particularly if they do well on the field.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Sounds like he was one of the best linebackers at The Opening as well.

I won't feel as bad about Benton if we can secure Britt's signature. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Great news on Devon Hunter coming down from Virginia - if he's not a 5-Star then I don't know what is. Hopefully he gets a bump before it's all said and done. I've been really impressed with this kid as a safety.

Jordyn Peters update

DB builds relationships, trust at War Damn BBQ

AUBURN | Jordyn Peters isn’t ready to make a commitment, but believes he’s getting close.

The defensive back from Muscle Shoals camped at Auburn on June 16, earned an offer and returned to campus again Saturday for the Tigers’ final recruiting event of the summer, the “War Damn BBQ.”

“It’s the home feeling I get, and also being a school that I always wanted to go to,” Peters said of Auburn. “I had a feeling when I first came here, so I liked being able to get back (Saturday) and be around and make sure it’s a true feeling.”

Peters was one of approximately two dozen recruits at the barbecue. His parents and younger brother were with him. They met with coaches, toured the campus, played games and ate.

“It was great,” Peters said. “I got a better feel of the campus and got to hang around the coaches a little bit more.”

Peters spent time with Auburn secondary coach Wesley McGriff, area recruiter Herb Hand and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele.

“I was around them a lot,” Peters said. “We talked and built our relationships, gained that trust between each other. Being in the indoor (facility), playing games and being around the coaches, playing with them and building those relationships was my favorite part. That’s what it’s all about. I have the feeling that I can trust them and they can trust me.”

Peters also formed bonds with several fellow recruits at the barbecue, including Auburn commitments Malcolm Askew and Nick Brahms and linebacker target K.J. Britt. Askew, who has earned the reputation as one of Auburn’s biggest salesmen and promoters and the nickname “Alexander Shunnarah,” took advantage of the time with Peters.

“‘When you pulling the trigger? When you pulling the trigger?’ That’s all (Askew) asked,” Peters said.

His answer?

“Before the start of the season,” Peters said.

Auburn, Virginia Tech and Ole Miss currently are Peters’ top three.

“I’m not rushing anything," Peters said. "But I like (Auburn)."

Brandon Martin

Former commit catches good vibe at Auburn

AUBURN | Brandon Martin, who committed and then de-committed to Auburn in a span of five days earlier this month, was back at the SEC West school for a visit Saturday.

Martin, 6-foot-4 and 205 pounds, declined to comment on the details of his recruitment but said the Auburn staff has remained cordial and open through the entire process.

“They didn’t really get mad about it. They were cool about it,” Martin said. “They’re still recruiting me hard. They told me to take my time because I’m still their No. 1 guy.”

Martin, a four-star wide receiver from Gulf Coast Community College in Perkinston, Miss., attended Auburn’s cookout with several of his teammates including defensive lineman Isaiah Buggs.

“Everything is together and they do everything as a family and I feel comfortable coming here,” Martin said.

Martin spent time with several Auburn coaches including Kodi Burns.

“They’re real cool and straight up. I can feel their bond and catch their vibe,” he said.

Martin, a December graduate, plans to return to Auburn for the Clemson game Sept. 3 and again for an official visit later this fall.

He declined to name any schools other than Auburn that he’s currently considering but he also has offers from Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Arizona State, Iowa State and Southern Miss. LSU and many others are showing interest.

“I’m just taking it slowly so I can weigh my options,” he said.

Isaiah Buggs

Buggs returns to War Damn BBQ

AUBURN | Isaiah Buggs, the top junior college defensive end recruit in the 2017 class, returned to Auburn Saturday for his second overnight visit of the summer.

The five-star recruit from Gulf Coast Community College in Parkinson, Miss., arrived on the Tigers’ campus around noon for the Tigers’ War Damn BBQ.

“I hung out, ate and talked to the coaches and players and had a great time overall,” Buggs said. “Every time I come here I feel like I’m at home. They have great players, great coaches. It’s a big family here. It’s a great program.”

Buggs spent the majority of the day with Auburn defensive line coach Rodney Garner.

“We got closer today,” Buggs said.

The player and coach have known each other since Buggs’ high school days at Ruston (La.) High School.

“He always stuck with me since the first time he came and recruited me,” Buggs said. “He is a great man. He takes care of his players. He loves his players.”

Garner is a big reason Buggs continues to have Auburn among his favorites, but not the only one. Buggs has built friendships with several Auburn players, including former junior college defensive tackles Maurice Swain and Devaroe Lawrence.

“Auburn is really high on my radar,” Buggs said. “I fit in well. Maurice and Devaroe, the last time I came (in June) we had a great time. They told me Auburn is a great program. They said when you come here, you love it like you’re at home.”

Buggs already has that feeling.

“I feel that way and I haven’t even made a decision,” Buggs said.

His decision will come soon. Buggs is set to announce his commitment on Aug. 24, his 20th birthday. Buggs has heard the rumors that he’s destined to sign with LSU.

“That’s not necessarily true,” Buggs said. “Just because I’m from there doesn’t mean I’m going to go there.”

Auburn could be LSU’s toughest competition, especially after Saturday’s visit and his growing relationship with Garner.

“Coach Garner told me whatever decision I make he’s going to love me as a person whether I come here or don’t,” Buggs said. “He is great guy, a great person. He just wants the best for me as a kid.

Tray Bishop

Commitment may be back on for Bishop

AUBURN | Visits to Florida and Georgia in the past week had Tray Bishop rethinking his plans to commit on Monday.

But another visit to Auburn Saturday and that commitment timeline may be back on.

“After my visits I was going to reevaluate so I put a hold on it. But by tomorrow at midnight, I'll know if I'm still going to release it,” Bishop said.

Bishop plans to post on Twitter around Sunday at midnight if he will commit Monday.

If he does, Auburn appears to be in good shape for a top quarterback target they’ve been actively recruiting for more than a year.

“Nothing has changed from day one. Everything is still the same. Today I saw myself excelling in that offense a lot,” Bishop said.

Bishop said Gus Malzahn and Auburn’s staff showed him a video with his highlights right next to a former Auburn quarterback who excelled in the zone read.

“They had this nice video made where they had the Auburn plays and the plays I had similar to that,” Bishop said. “Most of them were the Nick Marshall plays he had and the plays I had alike. That boosted it up for the offense.”

Bishop said Georgia is “probably’ pushing him the hardest besides Auburn. The Gators, who have offered Bishop as a defensive back, also remain in the mix. Georgia told him he’ll get a shot at quarterback. but Bishop doesn’t consider that a real shot.

“No, not for real,” he said.

Bishop, 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds, has visited Auburn a number of times and has a strong relationship with the coaching staff, players and other recruits.

“With this recruiting class we’ve got some big linemen coming in so that kind of keeps me wanting to play quarterback,” he said. “The receiver group that just came, they’ll be here next year too.”

Auburn made it clear to Bishop that they’re looking to add a dual-threat quarterback to the 2017 class as soon as possible and hope he’ll jump on board soon.

“Things could be getting pretty close,” Bishop said.

Austin Troxell

Troxell enjoys "laid-back" Auburn visit

For 4-star offensive tackle Austin Troxell, Saturday’s visit to Auburn had a different feel to it. While he had always enjoyed his visits to Auburn, Troxell was especially loose and easy-going on Saturday, his first visit to Auburn since his commitment on June 18.

“It was good. It was fun, laid-back,” Troxell said. “I played some cornhole with Coach (Tim) Horton. I played Pokémon Go, I guess, but I’m not a big Pokémon Go (fan).”

As one of the Tigers’ 11 commits in the 2017 class, Troxell was tasked with helping the coaches recruit the prospects who have yet to decide while on his visit. Though he wasn’t sure about it at first, he said he learned on the fly.

“I tried my best, but I’m still trying to get the hang of that, Troxell said. “Just trying to get everybody on board. I think we’re going to get some more people pretty soon, and we’re going to be a top-10 recruiting class, hopefully.”

Nick Brahms

Commitment 'weight off my shoulders' for Brahms

When 4-star offensive lineman Nick Brahms made his commitment to Auburn at The Opening, it was another decision moved off his plate. Now, Brahms is relaxed and enjoying the run-up to his senior season.

“It was a lot of weight off my shoulders,” Brahms said on Saturday after the War Damn BBQ at Auburn. “I feel comfortable with my decision. It’s been awesome. I feel good.”

What led him to commit to Auburn after a strong pushes from Tennessee and North Carolina?

“I love the people here,” Brahms said. “I love the people and just the coaches and how close everybody is together.”

Brahms, back on Auburn’s campus Saturday for the first time since his commitment, spent his time building relationships with the coaching staff, other commits and recruits who have yet to decide. Brahms, the No. 9 guard in the class of 2017, paid special attention to a number of undecided recruits, particularly linebacker Kenney Britt and defensive back Jordyn Peters.

“It was a lot of fun. I started recruiting some guys, put the recruiting hat on. It was a good time,” Brahms said. “It’s cool. I get to meet a lot more guys, I guess, just building a relationship with them.”

Malcolm Askew

Askew acting as top recruiter for Tigers

After his commitment to Auburn at Big Cat Weekend, nothing has slowed down for defensive back Malcolm Askew. But he role has changed. Now, instead of being recruited by all of the 45 schools from which he received an offer, Askew has turned into the recruiter himself.

Askew spent Saturday at Auburn’s “War Damn BBQ” recruiting event, and he used it to work on some of Auburn’s top targets, including athlete Tray Bishop, linebacker Kenney Britt, defensive lineman Ryan Johnson and fellow defensive back Jordyn Peters, who just received an Auburn offer last weekend.

“I was kind of in everybody’s ear today,” Askew said. “It’s been fun. I had a lot of offers, and I’ve had most of the offers that everybody else has. It’s kind of easy to tell them why to come to Auburn, because I’ve seen everywhere else that they’re getting recruited by. It’s easy for me to say, ‘Hey, this school’s right for you, because I’ve seen everything else you’ve seen.’”

Askew has especially focused on Bishop, an athlete from Dawson, Ga., who is one of the top players on Auburn’s board and could get a chance to play quarterback for the Tigers.

“I’ve been in his ear for a while now,” Askew said. “I know he’ll come in and contribute right away, just because he’s that type of athlete. Whether it’s quarterback or anywhere else, he’ll come in and be a guy.”

De'Andre Wilder

Auburn shares lead for Miami LB

After visiting Auburn for the second time in about a month, linebacker De'Andre Wilder of Miami (Fla.) Carol City said the Tigers are now his co-leaders with Miami.

"It went great," Wilder said of the visit. "Them and Miami, I'd put them 50-50 right now."

The reason?

"Playing early and the coaches," Wilder said. "They put me in the front of it -- like the P's and Q's. They were like, 'You're going to adapt to this defense and stuff.' "

Looking at the situation at Auburn, Wilder noted, "I think I can play early."

The 6-feet-2, 197-pound Wilder is the No. 26 outside backer in the 247Sports Composite. He made the trip Saturday with his father, who lives in Atlanta.

While at Auburn, Wilder spent lots of time with area recruiter Wesley McGriff and linebackers coach Travis Williams.

According to Wilder, he plans to officially trim his list "around November." A final decision likely will come around the end of his season.

In the meantime, he plans to officially visit Auburn in Week 1 for the Clemson game. Miami also will get an official, he said.

Having his father in Atlanta is plus for Auburn, according to Wilder.

Archived