UAB

CarolinaTiger

July 12, 2003

UAB given reprieve from '04 deadline

The Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM — Members of the University of Alabama System board on Friday backed off an earlier threat to shut down the UAB athletics department if it didn't turn a profit by 2004, saying the program has made financial progress and improved campus life.

The board's athletics committee voted to recommend that the full board remove the deadline issued in April 2002. The board said then it would cut off funding to athletics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham if it did not turn around a $7.6 million deficit.

Trustee John Russell Thomas said Friday the ultimatum was a mistake.

"We made judgment too quickly without proper discussion, without looking into it," Thomas told the Birmingham Post-Herald.

UAB President Carol Garrison told the board the school's football program — often blamed for the athletic department's financial troubles — was expected to make a $248,000 profit in the 2003-04 budget year after losing $703,000 this year. She attributed the gains to increases in donations, ticket revenue, game guarantees, student fees and Conference USA revenue.

Overall, the athletic department lost $2.5 million this year, an improvement of more than $5 million since the board's ultimatum.

Board members said recent gains in enrollment were due to improvements in campus life, including Division I athletics. Since the fall of 1998, freshman enrollment is up 20 percent, with the number of out-of-state students increasing by one-third.

UA System Chancellor Malcolm Portera said Garrison, hired in July 2002 from Mississippi State, has helped remove the doubt over the program's future.

"It is clear to me that measurable progress is being made under the leadership of Carol Garrison and this administration," Portera said. "She articulates a persuasive case about the value of intercollegiate athletics at UAB."

The committee also authorized Garrison to continue any discussions about the Blazers' conference affiliation.

The recent move of Miami and Virginia Tech from the Big East to the Atlantic Coast Conference has led some to speculate about the future of some Conference USA members, particularly Louisville.

Source

I can remember in the 1950's, Bruno's Grocery in Birmingham would give Bama football tickets when you bought food at their stores. They had plenty of help, why shouldn't UAB?

You do realize that it took a 500,000 dollar individual donation from R. Scrushy last time to bail them out?

105248[/snapback]

That would only be 10% of what they saved in budget deficit that year. Although it is a huge sum of money...large donations are not new to college athletics.

Besides, provide a source for that comment, because Srushy's legal problems with the Securities and Exchange Commission began in early 2003. When did he supposedly give UAB this huge sum of money.

March 31, 2003: 5:15 PM EST

The board of Birmingham, Ala.-based HealthSouth said it removed Scrushy from the position of chairman of the board, declared his employment agreement null and void and asked him to resign as a director. Source

I believe UAB should cut their ties to UAT and become the University of Birmingham. With their renown med school, I'm sure they would survive. I'm pretty sure a majority of their alumni would agree.

Great Idea! UAB could also avoid all of the uat negativity ! ! !

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

Archived