SEC Runningbacks

AuNuma1

I'm really impressed with this year's group of SEC runningbacks. Yeah, Minnesota has a couple of them but the real deal is right here in the SEC.

I thought for SURE that UGA's running game would take a hit when Lumpkin got hurt for the year...but no. A freshman by the name of Danny Ware steps in HUGE for UGA. Kid is good! And tough...did you guys see when he got tackled at like the 5 yard line when UGA was up 10 to 0 and they flashed the camera to him and his helmet visor was covered with his own blood?? He couldn't even see out of his helmet it was so bad.

Teams are definitely keying on Carnell this year...I would too. He hasn't been able to break many of his big runs like he did last year (80 yard Iron Bowl scamper!). I think it's only a matter of time though. But look at Ronnie's numbers! 7.4 yard avg. We're going to miss these two next year.

Also, I thought with Alabama losing Shaud that they would take a serious drop. But no, Darby and Hudson are one of the top RB pairs in the SEC. Even if Alabama's offense is a bit one dimensional now, these two guys are still pretty good runners.

And as a surprise to not very many, there's Justin Vincent posting average numbers. Yes, he played on a National Championship team. Yes, he's talented. No, he will not win the Heisman as many declared after last season. Put the kid behind an average O-line, you'll see that he's also average. But he does have a NC ring, so I'll give him credit.

Rushing Car Yds Avg TD

Williams 106 490 4.6 4

Brown 44 326 7.4 2

Ware 48 285 5.9 3

Vincent 51 225 4.4 2

Hudson 74 539 7.3 3

Darby 59 338 5.7 3

Houston 52 365 7.0 2

Riggs 51 301 5.9 1

Fason 80 458 5.7 5

Fason is surprising me this year. The SEC does have several great backs this year. This seems more typical of the SEC smash-mouth style than in years past.

What do you guys think about the possibility of Ray getting drafted?

I think he's got the talent, but no more than 4 backs will go in the first round...those will probably be Sproles, Brown, Williams and someone else.

If he keeps up the way hes producing this year...i think he could go late second early third.

What do you guys think about the possibility of Ray getting drafted?

I think he's got the talent, but no more than 4 backs will go in the first round...those will probably be Sproles, Brown, Williams and someone else.

If he keeps up the way hes producing this year...i think he could go late second early third.

108679[/snapback]

I can see him being a late pick, something like Galloway. If he improves through the season he could go earlier. I definitely don't see him being taken the first day of the draft as it stands right now. He's a solid back but he hasn't shown anything that's pressed him into being a "great" back. He's solid enough that he's scary to face. If he can wrestle more carries away from Darby I think he'll be awesome by the end of the year.

I could definitely see him going. What year is he?

Williams 106 490 4.6 4

Brown 44 326 7.4 2

Ware 48 285 5.9 3

Vincent 51 225 4.4 2

Hudson 74 539 7.3 3

Darby 59 338 5.7 3

Houston 52 365 7.0 2

Riggs 51 301 5.9 1

Fason 80 458 5.7 5

All specluation, im sure, is based on the assumption that he can avoid lingering effects from that concussion sustained against WCU.

108684[/snapback]

And, unfortunately, greater exposure and greater injury risk since it's pretty obvious that your running game is going to have to work harder due to the lack of a passing game. At least you've got three good backs, so Ray-Ray won't have to carry the whole load.

Brown 44 326 7.4 2

Ronnie needs to get more carries. With that average he should be getting a lot more carries.

108690[/snapback]

I'd agree with that. The UPS man could use more carries with an avg like that.

But to credit Borges, our offense is MUCH more balanced than even Petrino's offense IMHO (won't even mention last year's). With Borges, it seems like we don't have to rely on the run as much as we had to in the past. If you'll notice in our two biggest games so far, neither Carnell or Ronnie hit the 100 yard mark. People are going to stack the box against us like they have in the past and try to limit our running, but now they're going to get bitten by our passing game...ask LSU and UT. Gorgeous Borges is the man!

i had some thoughts after the last game about caddy and ronnie.

1. caddilac is the best runner i have seen at auburn since maybe fullwood. he's better than rudi, ronnie, or stephen davis were.

2. ronnie is the dream ace back for the nfl. he's a great runner, blocker, and he's apparently got great hands (all our coaches have said that but none of them ever actually used him to catch the ball until last game).

3. caddilac is just as good at pass blocking. both of them are nearly flawless on blitz pickups.

4. both of them are going in the first round along with cedric benson.

as for the rest of the sec, i thought fason and broussard and summers were the best backs i saw outside of auburn last year. now, broussard is lsu's work horse (he was better than vincent last year, just didn't get the touches). fason has pushed deshaun wynn out of the rotation, and summers is apparently a false call on my part. i think now i'd replace him with either hudson (total shocker to me; i never respected him before), ware, or houston (who still isn't that scary).

i still think ronnie benefits from teams overlooking him for caddy. i don't think his per carry average would be that high if he got more touches (as was shown against ut) b/c he won't get the "letdown" that most of his runs have. i really don't think other teams appreciate how good he is so they kinda breathe easy when caddy is out of the game or split out wide. then ronnie runs over jason allen and bam! they take note. keep the rotation like it is b/c carnell is the best tailback we've got, and ronnie is more likely to hurt you in other positions than caddy is.

i had some thoughts after the last game about caddy and ronnie.

1. caddilac is the best runner i have seen at auburn since maybe fullwood. he's better than rudi, ronnie, or stephen davis were.

2. ronnie is the dream ace back for the nfl. he's a great runner, blocker, and he's apparently got great hands (all our coaches have said that but none of them ever actually used him to catch the ball until last game).

3. caddilac is just as good at pass blocking. both of them are nearly flawless on blitz pickups.

4. both of them are going in the first round along with cedric benson.

as for the rest of the sec, i thought fason and broussard and summers were the best backs i saw outside of auburn last year. now, broussard is lsu's work horse (he was better than vincent last year, just didn't get the touches). fason has pushed deshaun wynn out of the rotation, and summers is apparently a false call on my part. i think now i'd replace him with either hudson (total shocker to me; i never respected him before), ware, or houston (who still isn't that scary).

i still think ronnie benefits from teams overlooking him for caddy. i don't think his per carry average would be that high if he got more touches (as was shown against ut) b/c he won't get the "letdown" that most of his runs have. i really don't think other teams appreciate how good he is so they kinda breathe easy when caddy is out of the game or split out wide. then ronnie runs over jason allen and bam! they take note. keep the rotation like it is b/c carnell is the best tailback we've got, and ronnie is more likely to hurt you in other positions than caddy is.

108704[/snapback]

I'd agree with that assessment -- I think ronnie is going to get a lot of love in the NFL for his versatility as well.

I that Ronnie will have an impact in the NFL. Size, speed, great blocker and great hands. I wish he would get more carries. I still think that Ronnie is the better all-around back.

Stat any chance you can give us total yards for the running backs in the SEC, not just rushing???

:au:

ALL PURPOSE Team Cl G Rush Rcv PR KR Yds Avg/G

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Ciatrick Fason...... UF JR 4 458 92 0 0 550 137.5

2. Ray Hudson.......... UA SR 5 539 72 0 0 611 122.2

3. Troy Williamson.. SC JR 5 0 545 6 57 608 121.6

4. C. Williams......... AU SR 5 490 37 2 19 548 109.6

5. Ronnie Brown........ AU SR 4 326 107 0 0 433 108.2

6. Mike Espy........... UM JR 5 17 175 91 222 505 101.0

7. Vashon Pearson.... UM JR 5 481 15 0 0 496 99.2

8. Danny Ware.......... UG FR 3 285 1 0 0 286 95.3

9. Cedric Houston..... UT SR 4 365 14 0 0 379 94.8

10.Kwane Doster...... VU JR 4 113 36 0 228 377 94.2

http://secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/04stat...rs.htm#conf.wi2

Archived