Does a bye week concern anyone else?

GoAU

Is anyone else concerned about the bye week? I know CTT said the team needs it, and 9 straight games is tough. But, I hate to see a break in the "rythem" we had going. Maybe it's just me, but it seems we never really seem to come out of the gates strong after a bye week. I think this group of players is a truly special group, and I don't think they fall into a complacency trap, but nevertheless I am concerned about UGA (partly because my brother graduated from there, and we got greens fees riding on the game). I know thier offense has struggled this season (except for LSU), but they seem to be gaining momentum. All being said, I think we will pick up right where we left off and keep on winning. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

A little bit, but I think in this particular case, the rest is needed. Frankly, I feel that our "rhythm" was starting to get out of whack the last couple of weeks. More penalties and missed assignments than we'd been seeing all year. We're tired. I think it will help the players to heal up and be more ready mentally.

A little bit, but I think in this particular case, the rest is needed.  Frankly, I feel that our "rhythm" was starting to get out of whack the last couple of weeks.  More penalties and missed assignments than we'd been seeing all year.  We're tired.  I think it will help the players to heal up and be more ready mentally.

117101[/snapback]

Exactly what I was going to say. I think our sloppiness the last two weeks could well be a sign of exhaustion. Let's rest up and recharge this week, have a couple of tough, intense practices next week to hone our edge again, and go out ready to make the next four games our best four of the year.

I think back to the '97 season. We played our worst game of the year against :msu: , took a bye week, and then played maybe our best game of the year against :uga: in Athens. Also, that was the last time the Dawgs beat the Gators. :D

I don't think that being tired caused us to play like we did the last two weeks. i'm sure it had something to do with it, but not the main factor. I just hope that the players aren't gettin caught up in the rankings and NC talk like everyone else in auburn is. they'll be ready, but so will UGA.

Not even the mighty (holy?) P W Bryant *pause, head bowed* could decide whether off weeks were good or bad. This was 'way back in the days when both AU and UA had byes before they played each other.

Not sure how Hansel has such insight to dismiss the fatigue factor, but I'd say that was a major contributor to the UM game--when we only won by 21 points.

I don't think that being tired caused us to play like we did the last two weeks. i'm sure it had something to do with it, but not the main factor. I just hope that the players aren't gettin caught up in the rankings and NC talk like everyone else in auburn is. they'll be ready, but so will UGA.

117170[/snapback]

I disagree. I think it was a big part in it. Not all of it, but a big part. Most people have their bye weeks much earlier in the season than week ten. We've played nine game, six of them in conference. If you don't think that makes a person tired, then I'd like to know what would this side of the Tour de France.

I see no indications this team is caught up in rankings. We were a little sluggish, we had some goofy stuff happen on a couple of early drives that probably got the players pressing a little on offense until the score right before halftime. And don't discount the fact that Ole Miss has been improving the whole year and had two weeks to prepare.

I wouldn't worry so much about NC talk. First, it's unavoidable. Second, we've shown remarkable poise this whole year. I think the week off will help us calm down, refocus, work on some fundamentals and give us a second wind going into the homestretch.

117170[/snapback]

I disagree. I think it was a big part in it. Not all of it, but a big part. Most people have their bye weeks much earlier in the season than week ten. We've played nine game, six of them in conference. If you don't think that makes a person tired, then I'd like to know what would this side of the Tour de France.

I see no indications this team is caught up in rankings. We were a little sluggish, we had some goofy stuff happen on a couple of early drives that probably got the players pressing a little on offense until the score right before halftime. And don't discount the fact that Ole Miss has been improving the whole year and had two weeks to prepare.

I wouldn't worry so much about NC talk. First, it's unavoidable. Second, we've shown remarkable poise this whole year. I think the week off will help us calm down, refocus, work on some fundamentals and give us a second wind going into the homestretch.

117194[/snapback]

do you just like trying to prove me wrong? Honestly, I think we have been playing better than we are all season, or we should have done this last year also. There should be some serious holes in our defense, especially the front seven, but they are playing out of their minds. Campbell is having a crazy year also, and our offense is clicking in almost every aspect. What this tells me is that we obviously had the talent to do this last year, and the media was right at the preseason, but we just didn't preform. We've gotten smaller on defense, got a new OC and have become a better team, weird. I know that we do have a lot more experience with a lot of seniors on the team, but it's not a whole lot different than last years team, besides the play calling. being tired does affect a team, but shouldnt make for poor play against poor teams. I don't think that Ole Miss is a very good team, and I think that playin in oxford had something to do with it also. I do think that we looked tired, but I don't think that was the only reason for us playin the way we did. I think that if we hadn't had that fumbled snap early, we would have played a lot better. That first pass was right on the money to Taylor and our defense started well, so I think that the fumble was huge and so was us getting stopped on the two yard line or whatever four straight plays. That gave Ole Miss a lot of confidence.

do you just like trying to prove me wrong?

Not particularly, but if you're going to repeat the same argument on different threads, I'll repeat the same response.

Honestly, I think we have been playing better than we are all season, or we should have done this last year also. There should be some serious holes in our defense, especially the front seven, but they are playing out of their minds. Campbell is having a crazy year also, and our offense is clicking in almost every aspect. What this tells me is that we obviously had the talent to do this last year, and the media was right at the preseason, but we just didn't preform. We've gotten smaller on defense, got a new OC and have become a better team, weird. I know that we do have a lot more experience with a lot of seniors on the team, but it's not a whole lot different than last years team, besides the play calling.

Well, it does help when the offense isn't going three and out, constantly forcing the defense back onto the field. It also helps not to turn the ball over deep in your own territory. Those two things hurt our defense big time last year. So yes, getting a new OC that knows what he's doing will help the defense.

And what we lost in overall talent and experience, we are making up for in speed this season. Also, I think the secondary is better with Rosegreen full time at safety and Herring having a season under his belt. That gives us opportunities for coverage sacks. I just think there are less glaring weaknesses in this defense even if there are no bonafide stars.

being tired does affect a team, but shouldnt make for poor play against poor teams.

Actually, being tired will tend to make you play poorly no matter who you're up against. But when the other team is Kentucky or Ole Miss this year, you still win by 32 and 21 points respectively. Had we been up against a stronger team, they could have hurt us more.

I don't think that Ole Miss is a very good team, and I think that playin in oxford had something to do with it also. I do think that we looked tired, but I don't think that was the only reason for us playin the way we did.

I have repeatedly said it isn't the "only" reason, but that it is a significant reason. Ole Miss having an extra week to prepare and scheme had something to do with it too. And some of it was due to them accurately attacking some holes.

I think that if we hadn't had that fumbled snap early, we would have played a lot better. That first pass was right on the money to Taylor and our defense started well, so I think that the fumble was huge and so was us getting stopped on the two yard line or whatever four straight plays. That gave Ole Miss a lot of confidence.

This I agree with.

My main concern with the bye week is whether I can keep the whole hatred of the pups thing goin' for two whole weeks.

Hey Tim, can you help a brotha out?

The bye week will be good for the team. These guys are exhausted. They need to regroup and think about what is ahead. They acheived ONE of their goals last weekend - I believe there are at leat about hmmmmmmmmm ..... 4 more goals to meet. Beat :uga: Beat :ua: Beat :ut: AND Beat Whoever we meet in a bowl! Besides, I can not take another game on TV or in person like last weekend. My heart and voice will NOT take it!

Archived