Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Sorry, I do not understand why people think Petrino is that great a coach. He was pretty decent at Arkansas but his team didn't even compete with the top teams in the conference every year. They got beat pretty bad just like us last year against Alabama and LSU. They lost to those teams by more than 2 touchdowns each. They only beat ole miss by 5, the troy trojans by 10, and vandy by 3. They should have dominated those teams if they were as good as everyone made them out to be last year.

Petrino can't coach a team with...DEFENSE. Sorry. He isn't a great coach. SIgning him up for 4 years of mediocre defense will put the cherry on top of the disappointment sunday. You just won't see it because you will be cheering offense until we lose a game because a team shut down our O and our defense is just run over for a 2-3 touchdown beatdown.

Its just my opinion, but I think he is a bad hire for more than just the moral issues.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you are counting the Mississippi schools I don't think anyone will be nervous about the BP hire, I don't think Saban would not be concerned as he has beat Petrino like a drum the last 4 years. Noted, I think Petrino will have far better overall talent, but do any of you think our current QBS can perform in his system?

He beat a team mostly of 3-stars with a team mostly of 5-stars. And he was a year longer into his process at Alabama than Petrino at Arkansas.

As far as our QBs, there is nothing inherent about spread QBs that make them incapable of running a more traditional system. John Parker Wilson at Alabama became a pretty good QB under Saban and all he ran at Hoover was an almost Mike Leach style spread. I'm sure other examples exist as well. Not every kid can do it just like not every kid coming from a pro-style offense can run a spread well.

I'll keep saying it until we hire Petrino. He is the best out there that is available. Everyone else mentioned is not even close. Poet Tiger, I know you don't like Petrino the guy, but your continuous bad mouthing of him as a head coach is getting old. Any knowledgeable person who watches college football knows that out of the current field of coaches that are available, Petrino is number 1, and it really is not even close...

Sorry, I do not understand why people think Petrino is that great a coach. He was pretty decent at Arkansas but his team didn't even compete with the top teams in the conference every year. They got beat pretty bad just like us last year against Alabama and LSU. They lost to those teams by more than 2 touchdowns each. They only beat ole miss by 5, the troy trojans by 10, and vandy by 3. They should have dominated those teams if they were as good as everyone made them out to be last year.

Wrong. And this has been said several times now. He struggled against Bama...like everyone else. They've lost 4 games in the past three seasons plus this one. Two were to Miles, one to Spurrier and one to Chizik. So this isn't exactly some major ding against him.

But the other top teams in the league, he held his own. 2-2 vs LSU, 1-1 vs UGA, 2-0 vs South Carolina, 3-1 vs Auburn.

Petrino can't coach a team with...DEFENSE. Sorry. He isn't a great coach. SIgning him up for 4 years of mediocre defense will put the cherry on top of the disappointment sunday. You just won't see it because you will be cheering offense until we lose a game because a team shut down our O and our defense is just run over for a 2-3 touchdown beatdown.

Again, a popular thing to throw out there but factually incorrect. His defenses got better every year. By his final season at Louisville, they went 12-1 and had the 17th ranked scoring defense in the NCAA (16.3 points per game). At Arkansas they started terrible (it was also terrible under Nutt at the end) and got better every year until in 2011 they were ranked in the top 30 in scoring defense (22 ppg). They only allowed 30 points or more 3 times the entire season and two of those were to the teams that played each other in the BCS title game.

Can we please retire these tired and factually incorrect arguments?

Let me see if I can shed some light on this dismal situation. Our football players have become soft. Lets face it, they do not play very physical football. The change WILL be made to a more physical brand of football, but it cannot be made overnight, or even in one season. Bobby Petrino cannot survive a year at Auburn unless he wins the first year there. If he does not win, the division the hire would have would cause these message boards to light up again. Petrino has to win now and with having to change the physical mindset, the 4 years it took at Arkansas, and the 4 Years it took at Louisville are not good enough given his transgressions. I understand that some people want him, yeah for you, but the truth is, the mentality has to be changed for wins to come in. The softness in our football team was brought on by the move to the more finesse of the spread option. Argue all you want, but then give me a spread team that has that nasty defense, see.....

Let me see if I can shed some light on this dismal situation. Our football players have become soft. Lets face it, they do not play very physical football. The change WILL be made to a more physical brand of football, but it cannot be made overnight, or even in one season. Bobby Petrino cannot survive a year at Auburn unless he wins the first year there. If he does not win, the division the hire would have would cause these message boards to light up again. Petrino has to win now and with having to change the physical mindset, the 4 years it took at Arkansas, and the 4 Years it took at Louisville are not good enough given his transgressions. I understand that some people want him, yeah for you, but the truth is, the mentality has to be changed for wins to come in. The softness in our football team was brought on by the move to the more finesse of the spread option. Argue all you want, but then give me a spread team that has that nasty defense, see.....

The baseline of talent he would inherit here is far better than anything he inherited at Arkansas or L'ville.

Oh yea, you're right, Petrino"s "soft teams" never beat LSU or UGA or Auburn or South Carolina. Oh wait, they did: 2-2 vs LSU, 1-1 vs UGA, 2-0 vs South Carolina, 3-1 vs Auburn.

Lawyered.....

Yeah but we are not talking about hiring the other guys that beat/lost to Saban we are talking about hiring the guy that was 0-4 against him. Big difference. As for talent, his offensive talent was on par if not better than several teams, mainly because that is where he put most of his focus. And he has always had a good if not great QB at his disposal. If he would have given the defense a little attention and recruited better then maybe they would have been better. I am not bashing his coaching ability, good coach proven offensive system. Given time turns teams around. And regardless of whatever stat you throw out there his teams have never been known to excel at defense, particularly against the run, or known for stopping the run when needed. Fundamental requirements if you want to win championships in this league. I would want to know his plans or any other prospective coaches plans for addressing those areas before hired at AU.

The baseline of talent he would inherit here is far better than anything he inherited at Arkansas or L'ville.

Never once argued that.

The talent is soft. Mindsets have to be changed.

That takes time, he has never done it quickly is my point. With everything that has gone on, how will you defend him when the ones that think he should not get hired call for his head if he cannot deliver a 10 win season next year. Lets face it Jake Holland will still be Jake Holland.

Yeah but we are not talking about hiring the other guys that beat/lost to Saban we are talking about hiring the guy that was 0-4 against him. Big difference. As for talent, his offensive talent was on par if not better than several teams,

It was closer, but still not as good as Auburn, Alabama, LSU or Georgia. You said the top teams.

And yes, I realize we aren't talking about hiring the other guys that beat Saban. So then, Petrino shouldn't be judged on this criteria...unless your alternative is someone who is beating him. Choosing the "great unknown" isn't a better option.

And he has always had a good if not great QB at his disposal.

Except for his first year when he had to trot ol' Casey Dick out there. Which also contributes one to one of those losses to Saban and LSU.

If he would have given the defense a little attention and recruited better then maybe they would have been better.

He recruited as good or better than anyone has at Arkansas since joining the SEC.

I am not bashing his coaching ability, good coach proven offensive system. Given time turns teams around. And regardless of whatever stat you throw out there his teams have never been known to excel at defense, particularly against the run, or known for stopping the run when needed. Fundamental requirements if you want to win championships in this league. I would want to know his plans or any other prospective coaches plans for addressing those areas before hired at AU.

What they are known for isn't really relevant. What the facts say does and it says that his defenses get better over time, even with lesser talent both on the field and on the sideline.

I think wanting to know his plans is a reasonable thing to ask.

Never once argued that.

That takes time, he has never done it quickly is my point. With everything that has gone on, how will you defend him when the ones that think he should not get hired call for his head if he cannot deliver a 10 win season next year. Lets face it Jake Holland will still be Jake Holland.

And my point in saying that was that it's easier to get there when the baseline of talent is higher to start with. I think most of these kids want to play harder and more physical. These coaches just don't know how to do it.

And you're crazy if you think anything short of 10 wins next year would have people calling for his head. No one expects such instant results that you go from 3-9 (likely) to 10-2 in one year even if we hired Jim Harbaugh.

Never once argued that.

And my point in saying that was that it's easier to get there when the baseline of talent is higher to start with. I think most of these kids want to play harder and more physical. These coaches just don't know how to do it.

And you're crazy if you think anything short of 10 wins next year would have people calling for his head. No one expects such instant results that you go from 3-9 (likely) to 10-2 in one year even if we hired Jim Harbaugh.

That is exactly my point. 10 wins is unattainable next year. Those that don't want Petrino will never get on board unless he wins, wins big, and wins fast. If he doesn't, we will be right here again next year having the same conversation about whoever

Yeah but we are not talking about hiring the other guys that beat/lost to Saban we are talking about hiring the guy that was 0-4 against him. Big difference. As for talent, his offensive talent was on par if not better than several teams, mainly because that is where he put most of his focus. And he has always had a good if not great QB at his disposal. If he would have given the defense a little attention and recruited better then maybe they would have been better. I am not bashing his coaching ability, good coach proven offensive system. Given time turns teams around. And regardless of whatever stat you throw out there his teams have never been known to excel at defense, particularly against the run, or known for stopping the run when needed. Fundamental requirements if you want to win championships in this league. I would want to know his plans or any other prospective coaches plans for addressing those areas before hired at AU.

As I stated yesterday, and you may have not seen it or decided not to pay attention, but those teams that are in the top 10 or 20 in defense are teams like Bowling Green, UCONN, or a school that are not big names, or coaches who Auburn would never get. I am sorry, but there is not a Nick Saban out there where you can find who dominates on defense. Bobby Petrino did the best he could with the athletes he had, and he made Arkansas and Louisville relevant again. I really do not know what coach you are looking for, but you need to stop compating everything to Saban. No one in college football compares to him right now. The coaches you listed are the usual Auburn hire, and if you believe Petrino is unimpressive, well those guys you want are horrendous, and do not even have the credentials that Petrino has. And as it has been stated many times before, Petrino's defenses consistently got better every year. It's getting pretty old hearing from you and others who are against Petrino trying to find something wrong with Petrino as a coach. He is as good as they come, and he is available. The people against Petrino are only against him for his past, that's it. Everything else about his coaching ability is not up for debate....

Never once argued that.

That is exactly my point. 10 wins is unattainable next year. Those that don't want Petrino will never get on board unless he wins, wins big, and wins fast. If he doesn't, we will be right here again next year having the same conversation about whoever

If you think that I was agreeing with you on that, you're not reading me right. I'm saying that NO ONE expects 10 wins next season no matter who is hired. NOBODY. Therefore if we win less than 10 games, you aren't going to be hearing people calling for his or anyone else that gets hired's head.

Now, if we come out and go 4-8 or look terrible going 5-7 or 6-6, yeah, there will be grumbling. But 10 wins or people screaming? :bs:

Never once argued that.

If you think that I was agreeing with you on that, you're not reading me right. I'm saying that NO ONE expects 10 wins next season no matter who is hired. NOBODY. Therefore if we win less than 10 games, you aren't going to be hearing people calling for his or anyone else that gets hired's head.

Now, if we come out and go 4-8 or look terrible going 5-7 or 6-6, yeah, there will be grumbling. But 10 wins or people screaming? :bs:

Those that do not want Petrino will be. Petrino is being sold as the best available coach. Hell he is the ONLY available coach. He is the last girl to get asked to the prom, available, the best available but not someone you really want to take. Bottom line is this, is he the best coach? then lets go after the best coach. We can't hire anybody right now, the hire pretty much has to take place after the season and at that point, everyone is available.

All the majority of BP bashers see is a chic on a motorcycle, they cant see past that.

I disagree, I see the way BP left his last (THREE) jobs and I cant see past that.

If all he had done was ride a blonde chick on his Harley, he'd still be at Arky.

BUT...

- He had an affair outside of marriage (I got no problem, that's his own personal buisness)

- He used his position of power to hire his mistress to work in his department

- He had constant phone contact with her, even texting her just minutes before the Arky/Bama game (you think he was focused on his job before that huge game?)

- He had unlimited access to his mistress during office hours (how convenient, easy way to hide from Mrs. Petrino and the kiddies)

- He obvioulsy had access to his mistress during non-work hours (joy ride on Harley in broad daylight for anyone to see)

- He lied to law enforcement about his companion on his bike in the wake of his accident

- He lied and witheld information about his accident from his boss which lead to a major PR nightmare for his employer (the University)

- He lied about his affair with his co-worker, and his boss unknowingly repeats the lie publically = boss with egg on face (that's a no no in any buisness)

- He lied and witheld information from his boss about giving his mistress $20,000 gift

He didn't lose his job because he had a blonde chick glued to his backside on a freakin crotch rocket.

+1

Maybe some of those anti BP folks should start a thread about Chette Williams for HC. I am sure that will make them feel better.

Those that do not want Petrino will be. Petrino is being sold as the best available coach. Hell he is the ONLY available coach. He is the last girl to get asked to the prom, available, the best available but not someone you really want to take. Bottom line is this, is he the best coach? then lets go after the best coach. We can't hire anybody right now, the hire pretty much has to take place after the season and at that point, everyone is available.

No they won't. If he takes a 3-9 disaster and is competitive and in one year turns them into an 8-4 or 9-3 team that doesn't look like the Keystone Cops but rather is competitive in their games, people will be happy. They'll expect 10 wins in year two.

There are some better coaches. They aren't coming here. That list consists of (not exhaustive but close enough) people like Jim Harbaugh, Steve Spurrier, Les Miles, Nick Saban, Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll. That's why people say "available." It isn't just absence of a current job or being in the middle of a season. It's about who would leave where they are to come to Auburn. He's the best coach available in that respect.

Any chance Bobby would turn down an offer from AU? He may not want to jump into this dumpster fire.

No, unless we just ridiculously lowballed him, which wouldn't happen. He'd have to accept less money than he otherwise would have commanded, at least on the front end. But he wants this job and actually has wanted it for years. Had he not gone to Arky one year earlier he would have been all over it when we hired Chizik.

No they won't. If he takes a 3-9 disaster and is competitive and in one year turns them into an 8-4 or 9-3 team that doesn't look like the Keystone Cops but rather is competitive in their games, people will be happy. They'll expect 10 wins in year two.

There are some better coaches. They aren't coming here. That list consists of (not exhaustive but close enough) people like Jim Harbaugh, Steve Spurrier, Les Miles, Nick Saban, Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll. That's why people say "available." It isn't just absence of a current job or being in the middle of a season. It's about who would leave where they are to come to Auburn. He's the best coach available in that respect.

Your settling my friend.

Have you spoken to these people? Now I grant you, they probably don't want to come to this dumpster fire, but we don't need to make a rash decision before all avenues are exhausted.

All the majority of BP bashers see is a chic on a motorcycle, they cant see past that.

I disagree, I see the way BP left his last (THREE) jobs and I cant see past that.

If all he had done was ride a blonde chick on his Harley, he'd still be at Arky.

BUT...

- He had an affair outside of marriage (I got no problem, that's his own personal buisness)

- He used his position of power to hire his mistress to work in his department

- He had constant phone contact with her, even texting her just minutes before the Arky/Bama game (you think he was focused on his job before that huge game?)

- He had unlimited access to his mistress during office hours (how convenient, easy way to hide from Mrs. Petrino and the kiddies)

- He obvioulsy had access to his mistress during non-work hours (joy ride on Harley in broad daylight for anyone to see)

- He lied to law enforcement about his companion on his bike in the wake of his accident

- He lied and witheld information about his accident from his boss which lead to a major PR nightmare for his employer (the University)

- He lied about his affair with his co-worker, and his boss unknowingly repeats the lie publically = boss with egg on face (that's a no no in any buisness)

- He lied and witheld information from his boss about giving his mistress $20,000 gift

He didn't lose his job because he had a blonde chick glued to his backside on a freakin crotch rocket.

+1

These are just some of the lies BP had while at Arkansas. People in Atlanta do not like him for the lies he told as coach of the Falcons. Yes, I agree Petrino can coach offensive football. I would rather have any one of many other choices to be our coach.

Archived