Auburn swimming. Will freeman

BeatBama1972

Why has Auburn not offered Will Freeman of Spain Park and Birmingham Swim League? Multiply Al state championships, state record and 4.33 GPA. Eagle scout and comes from an Auburn family.

Kid committed to the updykes but would go to AU if offered.

• 1 month later...

Set two new state records in the 200 and 500 freestyle. One of five finalist in the nation selected for the Wendy's High School Heisman. Comes from strong Auburn Family.

Why has Auburn not offered? Why is our swim program no longer competing for SEC and National titles?

I've never tried this, but you could ask one of the AU swim coaches that question via email. I'd like to know the answer myself. Alabama produces few enough top quality swimmers, AU needs to get all of them. I believe Margaret Holtzer of Huntsville was our last in-state NCAA champion.

I've never tried this, but you could ask one of the AU swim coaches that question via email. I'd like to know the answer myself. Alabama produces few enough top quality swimmers, AU needs to get all of them. I believe Margaret Holtzer of Huntsville was our last in-state NCAA champion.

I did a little checking and he is in the top ten US in his age group for the 200 and 17th for 500. AU recruits from around the world for swimming as do our major competitors. By and large, this is not like football where the best players in the state are among the best in the nation. To get interest from AU he will have to win or place in some major national events...and they could be looking at an academic scholarship too.

I was gonna say, what are his national times ? And where does he rank in the world ? Winning a state title is all well and good, but that doesn't translate into automatic pathways to the elite swim programs. He'll likely get offers a plenty from across the country.

I was gonna say, what are his national times ? And where does he rank in the world ? Winning a state title is all well and good, but that doesn't translate into automatic pathways to the elite swim programs. He'll likely get offers a plenty from across the country.

Saw elsewhere that he has committed to Bama. http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/6472846400352023843/spain-parks-will-freeman-hoping-to-win-wendys-high-school-heisman-tonight/#/0

Saw elsewhere that he has committed to Bama. http://highschoolspo...man-tonight/#/0

Well good for him

My understanding is that he was recruited by AU, but liked Bama better. Perhaps he fit in better with the team. It could well have something to do with the scholarship offer. Perhaps AU offered him to walk on or very little money and Bama offered more of a scholarship. Swimming gets 12 dividable scholarships to fill an 18 man roster.

That's how I ended up at AU instead of Texas.

• 1 month later...

Would love to have your help in the other main thread Goo, since you actually swam. I am not very knowledgable, just doing what I can. I would say the swimmer's at Auburn probably are of a higher caliber than Bama and it would make sense that he would get a partial here. We have recruits from all over the world.

Not good for him. Kid is from an Auburn family. Hate to lose one to the dark side.

I don't think we can call Freeman going to UAT "losing one". Judging from this thread we weren't all that interested in getting him.

Not good for him. Kid is from an Auburn family. Hate to lose one to the dark side.

I just meant 'good for him' that he's getting a scholarship from an SEC school and such. However, we're not talking about the equivalent to a 5 star rb prospect in football here. Great all around kid though he may be.

I think we were interested but we're hoping he would come based on ACT. Maybe AUGoo can give some insight on his 200 free time. 1:37 I believe.

That's pretty darn fast for a HS kid. Though it's not even in the top 25 in the Men's SEC. Close, but that just goes to show how competitive the sport has become.

Archived