Recruiting Non-Mysteries

AUcivE09

.......because some of us are tired of talking about uat's recruits.

How about some love for Mason, JJ, Tre Williams, Sean White, and the others who committed and never waivered. I would be interested to hear who the sure shots that committed early and signed back in the day were. Garner? Rocker? Craig? Do they fit the bill?

Before the internet and recruiting services, such info wasn't available. Brent Fullwood signing with AU over Florida was one big surprise. Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley choosing Shug over Duh Bahr surprised the bammers.

Richard Todd flipping from AU to bammer was a surprise until when, a week later, Todd's mom went from being a private practice nurse in Mobile to a department head in the school of nursing in Tuskaloser. Then Todd's flip became understandable.

The idea of a prospect "committing" way in advance is a recent phenomenon.

Craig and Garner weren't that heavily recruited. Rocker was, but Pat Dye seemed to be in charge there all the way. Terry Bowden pulling in Takieo Spikes and Martavious Houston shocked the DullDawgs and Gators, respectively. But all in all, the internet and recruiting services have changed the recruiting game. A fan used to have to cut out the B'ham News and AJC lists of all-state teams and compare them against signee lists to try to guess how well his team did.

I like guys who make up their minds and stick to their commitment. Basically act like men. That hat trick crap makes me sick. I wish we would just back off the ones that want to pull that crap and pull their offer. If they are that unsure about what they want to do or they are so caught up in wanting to be the center of attention I would have to question whether we want them. Not the type of teammate I would want.

Thanks Mikey. I know Bo's story but that is about it outside of the past 4 years. Was Sullivan to Beasley really that close to being a bamr thing?

Sometimes I wish it would go back to being that way.... ^

HERESY! Mods, arrest this man at once!! delete the offending post. It shall never be spake agane!

Thanks Mikey. I know Bo's story but that is about it outside of the past 4 years. Was Sullivan to Beasley really that close to being a bamr thing?

Pat was torn between AU, UA, and GA. Vince Dooley put a full court press on Pat on his official recruiting trip but it didn't have the desired effect. Bear wanted Pat really bad and in fact Pat & Johnny Musso talked at length many times about playing together at either bama or Auburn. In the end it came down to Pat's feelings towards Shug & Coach Gene Lorendo who Pat became really close. If you know Pat he is the same now as he was back in 1967 when he was being recruited. Humble, honest, and fair. He was and is the prefect example of what an "Auburn" person should be.

Don't know much about Beasley's recruitment other than he could have gone anywhere but thankfully he chose the good guys.

Anybody else here see Sullivan's first varsity play? Launched a bomb on his very first play --- didn't connect, but Shug was letting the world know that it was a new day at Auburn.

Anybody else here see Sullivan's first varsity play? Launched a bomb on his very first play --- didn't connect, but Shug was letting the world know that it was a new day at Auburn.

Oh, I saw it. My first impression of impending greatness was when their freshman team got behind the bammers 20-0 in Tuskaloser and came back to beat them 35-27.

Oh, I saw it. My first impression of impending greatness was when their freshman team got behind the bammers 20-0 in Tuskaloser and came back to beat them 35-27.

I was there

Before the internet and recruiting services, such info wasn't available. Brent Fullwood signing with AU over Florida was one big surprise. Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley choosing Shug over Duh Bahr surprised the bammers.

Richard Todd flipping from AU to bammer was a surprise until when, a week later, Todd's mom went from being a private practice nurse in Mobile to a department head in the school of nursing in Tuskaloser. Then Todd's flip became understandable.

The idea of a prospect "committing" way in advance is a recent phenomenon.

Craig and Garner weren't that heavily recruited. Rocker was, but Pat Dye seemed to be in charge there all the way. Terry Bowden pulling in Takieo Spikes and Martavious Houston shocked the DullDawgs and Gators, respectively. But all in all, the internet and recruiting services have changed the recruiting game. A fan used to have to cut out the B'ham News and AJC lists of all-state teams and compare them against signee lists to try to guess how well his team did.

Some stories............

Fullwood's English teacher I believe was an AU Alum and talked to Brent about AU. She was HUGE in getting Brent to AU.

uat had Richard Todd stay in a Hotel in Mobile the whole week before signing day so the AU coaches could not talk to him.

Diddy Bowden helped Terry with M. Houston.

Dang Mikey -- your as old as me! Of course I was just a pup....I started to mention that freshman game too. Listened to it on the radio. I think AU fans couldn't wait to get those guys up to varsity. I remember going to freshman games (I was in high school) and watching Sully & Beasley at that point - it was exciting.

Dang Mikey -- your as old as me! Of course I was just a pup....I started to mention that freshman game too. Listened to it on the radio. I think AU fans couldn't wait to get those guys up to varsity. I remember going to freshman games (I was in high school) and watching Sully & Beasley at that point - it was exciting.

One of my good friends during student days at AU had a unique way that he calculated how long it took him to graduate. He said then, and still says that he enrolled with Jimmy Sidle and graduated with Pat Sullivan. 11 football seasons, thereabouts. In his defense, he had a wife and kid and had to drop out and work at AMPEX off and on to keep bread on the table.

Archived