Smith's Absence Conspicuous for Army Game

Tigerdog

Smiths Absence Conspicuous For Army Game

By GatorCountry.com Staff GatorCountry.com

Date: Jan 15, 2005

SAN ANTONIO — The US Army All-American Bowl Game brings 78 of the best high school football players in the nation together for the biggest and best all-star game in the country. As good as these guys are, though, this year’s game is conspicuous for the absence of Paokee’s Antone Smith.

For reasons that miff most of the experts who have spent the week in San Antonio watching the East-West practices, Antone Smith, the number two ranked running back in the nation by Scout.com, wasn’t selected to participate.

“The best running back I’ve seen this year has to be Antone Smith,” said Rey Maualuga, a 6-2, 240-pound linebacker from Eureka, California, who will suit up for the West. “I played against him in the CaliFlorida Bowl and he was incredible.”

Smith won the 2004 Mr. Football award for the state of Florida after leading Pahokee to its second straight state championship. In 12 games, the 5-8, 180-pound tailback scored 44 touchdowns, rushing for 2814 yards. In the CaliFlorida Bowl Game, Smith was the Most Valuable Player, leading Florida to a 24-22 victory over California. He rushed for 56 yards and a touchdown in the all-star game.

Smith is the man of a thousand moves. Tackling him has been described as trying to grab Jello with chopsticks.

“He runs really low to the ground and it makes him pretty hard to tackle,” Maualuga added. “He is going to be a force wherever he decides to play college ball at the next level.”

With his dynamic personality, Smith would be perfect to have at the US Army game. At various points throughout the game, some of the All-Americans will be announcing their college choice. Smith, who makes everyone’s all-interview team, would have been a marvelous interview.

Smith’s final choices are Miami, Auburn, Florida, Florida State and Georgia. He’s already visited Auburn and is at Miami this weekend. He’s expected to visit Florida January 21 and Florida State on January 28.

Most experts think that Smith will sign with Miami, particularly since Frank Gore and Roscoe Parrish have declared early for the National Football League. He won’t give any clues what that choice will be. Instead, he’ll go public on signing day with a press conference that will be televised by ESPN.

Another Florida back, Maurice Wells of Jacksonville Sandalwood, said on Thursday that he would be amenable to a visit to the University of Florida, but Scout.com reported on Friday that the 5-10, 185-pound tailback will announce his choice between Ohio State and Georgia Tech at halftime of the Saturday game.

The U.S. Army All-American Bowl will be played in San Antonio at the Alamo Dome on Jan. 15, 2005, and broadcast nationally on NBC at 1 p.m. Eastern. Scout.com is a sponsor, the official selection partner and exclusive on-line partner of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, as well as the associated U.S. Army Combine for underclassmen.

5 Star RB Enjoys Visit

Another Article

Pahokee, Fla.-—The Player of the Year in Florida took a visit to Auburn over the weekend and came away very impressed by what he saw. Speedy running back Antone Smith took a look at the Tiger program on an official visit and says the trip went very well.

”The visit was nice,” Smith tells Inside The Auburn Tigers. “I bonded with the players very good. This place is unbelievable. Even though 20,000 students are not on campus it was still a big ball for me. I feel very good about Auburn. I would rate the visit a nine just because the students weren’t here and I can’t give it another point.

“I’m not sure where Auburn stands right now,” he adds. “I haven’t seen everyone else so I’m not able to say that. I’m going to Ohio State, Georgia, LSU and maybe N.C. State or Florida State. I’ll make a decision on signing day.”

Smith was hosted on his visit by running back Ronnie Brown and says the two got along great. ”My host was Ronnie Brown,” Smith says. “He’s funny. Ronnie is very crazy. He’s an awesome character. I talked to this guy about everything. He gave me the lowdown and we just laughed and had a ball.”

Yeah I am pissed!  We are the freaking SEC champions and we can't get hardly any 5 star recruits.  What does it take?

139022[/snapback]

It's really OK Power I. We just went 13-0 with a handful of so-called 5 Star players. Most of ours are 2's and 3's with a sprinkling of 4's and again a handful of 5's. Remember, this is not Mel Kiper rating these 17 and 18 year old kids. Trust Coach T and Co. All is well. WDE!!!

Yeah I am pissed!  We are the freaking SEC champions and we can't get hardly any 5 star recruits.  What does it take?

139022[/snapback]

Quit being dense.

Would you trade Courtney Taylor and his one measly star for any receiver in the country?

I know I wouldn't.

139022[/snapback]

How in the world did we become SEC CHAMPIONS without all of those "STARS"?

Oh, it must be Coaching! B)

139022[/snapback]

How many 5-star recruits did it take to go 13-0 this year?

What is a 5-star recruit? If it's defined by some recruiting publication, we had no business going 13-0 this year.

Archived