Baylor issues UPDATE - Baylor fires football coach Art Briles

AU64

What I'm waiting to see if the alumni stand up and say enough is enough and that they don't want someone who was a willing participant in disgracing the school as their coach, no matter how many games he won.

Would be nice to see that, wouldn't it? I always hope Auburn alumni would do that...

Yep ....

and one thing that bothers me sometimes about the "hired gun" method in which HC and staffs are hired...with no real allegiance to the school other than as an employee. And we have watched more than a few guys at other locations get the schools in serious trouble and then move along and leave others to pick up the pieces.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I'm waiting to see if the alumni stand up and say enough is enough and that they don't want someone who was a willing participant in disgracing the school as their coach, no matter how many games he won.

Would be nice to see that, wouldn't it? I always hope Auburn alumni would do that...

I didn't see quite as much blowback as I'd hoped when the Petrino rumors were going around post-Chizik. Granted, he doesn't seem to be quite the slimeball that Briles evidently is, but he is a slimeball nonetheless.

I didn't see quite as much blowback as I'd hoped when the Petrino rumors were going around post-Chizik. Granted, he doesn't seem to be quite the slimeball that Briles evidently is, but he is a slimeball nonetheless.

Petrino just hasn't have the opportunities Briles had to reach his maximum slimeball potential. Considering the number of troubled players who he recruits after they are dismissed from other schools, combined with his own interesting past, and I would bet that the skeletons in his closet are multiplying pretty regularly. What happens in Louisville stays in Louisville.......

Petrino just hasn't have the opportunities Briles had to reach his maximum slimeball potential. Considering the number of troubled players who he recruits after they are dismissed from other schools, combined with his own interesting past, and I would bet that the skeletons in his closet are multiplying pretty regularly. What happens in Louisville stays in Louisville.......

I'm inclined to agree.

I'm inclined to agree.

I only disagree with the extent to which we're comparing balls of slime. Bobby P quit a team mid season and cheated on his wife/hired the mistress. Briles ALLEGEDLY covered up Rape and sexual assaults. The two are not equal parts slime IMHO. Briles > BP

I'm inclined to agree.

I only disagree with the extent to which we're comparing balls of slime. Bobby P quit a team mid season and cheated on his wife/hired the mistress. Briles ALLEGEDLY covered up Rape and sexual assaults. The two are not equal parts slime IMHO. Briles > BP

Now this is an interesting debate. Is Petrino a Briles that just hasn't happened yet? Or is he permanently affixed further down the slimeball scale than Briles? I mean, it's cool that we all agree that they're both total Ps o S, but we really should get everything out on the table.

I'm inclined to agree.

However, a few months ago, Briles wasn't even on the slime ball scale. He was considered a good guy. So... what has Petrino done that hasn't come out into the open, yet? No one knows. What I do know is that I can't remember a time that he was considered a good guy, so add a Baylor like scandal on top of that and he eclipses Briles on the slime ball scale.

I'm inclined to agree.

However, a few months ago, Briles wasn't even on the slime ball scale. He was considered a good guy. So... what has Petrino done that hasn't come out into the open, yet? No one knows. What I do know is that I can't remember a time that he was considered a good guy, so add a Baylor like scandal on top of that and he eclipses Briles on the slime ball scale.

True...he was highly ambitious but his record until the past few years was not much above average and did not look like he was a hot commodity when he left Houston for Baylor and took him 4 years to reach the 10 win level. ...he had two 10 win seasons in his first 10 years of coaching. But seemed to get it figured out and been solid since then.

Baylor revolution Twitter:

"BR has learned mediation btwn Briles' attorney & BU underway. BU reportedly offered $5m. Briles seeking full $40m for wrongful termination.

Mark schlabach:

Baylor University Interim President told to remain silent, news crew tossed off campus

Writer for scout: "Two sources close to the situation tell HornsDigest.com push for Art Briles' return at #Baylor is dead."

Baylor revolution Twitter:

"BR has learned mediation btwn Briles' attorney & BU underway. BU reportedly offered $5m. Briles seeking full $40m for wrongful termination.

Mark schlabach:

Baylor University Interim President told to remain silent, news crew tossed off campus

Sounds like he might have Sunny's lawyer . :-\

He does have Golloway's attorney............He might get the report released for those of us potentially interested in it. Don't think he would enjoy that, though......

Maybe the big bluff to get a better settlement. He needs to know when to say when.

He does have Golloway's attorney............He might get the report released for those of us potentially interested in it. Don't think he would enjoy that, though......

Maybe the big bluff to get a better settlement. He needs to know when to say when.

Is that true ?....my comment was meant as a joke...just saw the basis of the defense and it sounded familiar...and probably will be about as successful....but on the other hand, the potential fee for the lawyer is in a different ballpark than he could get from Sunny's case.

He has grounds for the suit. The school had no policy in place for reporting sexual harassment accusations, meaning he technically didn't violate any institutional rules.

Is that true ?....my comment was meant as a joke...just saw the basis of the defense and it sounded familiar...and probably will be about as successful....but on the other hand, the potential fee for the lawyer is in a different ballpark than he could get from Sunny's case.

No just kidding.......as far as him having grounds for the suit, maybe, don't really give a rat's rump. He needed to act with common human decency, toward KNOWN and TRUE victims of sexual assault or rape and he DIDN'T. Screw his case. Hope it blows up in his face, removing his career's head in the process.

No just kidding.......as far as him having grounds for the suit, maybe, don't really give a rat's rump. He needed to act with common human decency, toward KNOWN and TRUE victims of sexual assault or rape and he DIDN'T. Screw his case. Hope it blows up in his face, removing his career's head in the process.

While what he did was wrong, you can't legally make up a reason to fire him. I hope he gets a fair shake on that end.

He has grounds for the suit. The school had no policy in place for reporting sexual harassment accusations, meaning he technically didn't violate any institutional rules.

I guarantee you there was an ethics clause in his contract and no jury would ever look at covering up sexual assault as not being an ethics violation.

He's fighting it because he has to. If he just rolls over, his career is dead. He's tainted goods and no one would hire him. If he fights it and can manage to get a judge to lock down the final settlement, then he can claim that he was never proven guilty.

It's classic sleazy lawyer 101 combined with desperation from someone who regrets not doing the right thing when he had a chance because he was desperate to be everything he was built up to be. Everyone involved knows he is guilty, but we have a system that allows for the guilty to save face, especially if they have a lot of money.

But if the suit is related to Title IX, then the institutional rules argument probably won't help. I'm fairly certain (I will look for the case law) that as an agent of the school he can be just as culpable as the school itself.

Not appointing someone to head the U's titleIX compliance, in no way gives Baylor cover for his actions...

I just dislike what he did and how he handled it...........Imagine how those girl's feel, how those dad's feel and family members feel...

Po lil ol' Briles is not now and will never be a victim............Those girls were and to further his football program he covered it up. To hell with him.

Pretty funny parody account

Baylor Regents

@BaylorBOR

5h

In hindsight, probably wasn't the best idea to call the bluff of a guy that goes for it on 4th & 10 inside his own 35 yd line.

But if the suit is related to Title IX, then the institutional rules argument probably won't help. I'm fairly certain (I will look for the case law) that as an agent of the school he can be just as culpable as the school itself.

His actions or lack of action was detrimental to his employer, I'm sure there is a clause that covers the university in cases like this.

Not appointing someone to head the U's titleIX compliance, in no way gives Baylor cover for his actions...

I just dislike what he did and how he handled it...........Imagine how those girl's feel, how those dad's feel and family members feel...

Po lil ol' Briles is not now and will never be a victim............Those girls were and to further his football program he covered it up. To hell with him.

I know you're angry, but that doesn't trump the law.

Watch Bridge of Spies. Have to be fair according to law in every situation.

Archived