Kasey Cooper Named SEC Player of The Year

Congrats Kasey!!!

http://www.al.com/sp...amed_sec_1.html

Auburn's Kasey Cooper named SEC Player of the Year

20022316-mmmain.png

Auburns' Kasey Cooper jogs to home plate after her grand slam against South Carolina on Friday, Mar. 25, 2016. (Kris Sims/Auburn Athletics)

Kasey Cooper hauled in a pair of top honors Tuesday as the Auburn third baseman was named the Southeastern Conference's Player of the Year and Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

The mechanical engineering major from Dothan is the first player in school history to be named Player of the Year. Cooper started all 55 regular season games for the Tigers and led the team in batting average (.435), RBI (73), home runs (19), doubles (15) and slugging percentage (.939). She also has 64 hits and 57 runs scored.

The junior was also a First-Team All-SEC selection. Her teammate, Jade Rhodes, was a Second Team All-SEC pick. Cooper, Rhodes and Emily Carosone were all named to the SEC All-Defensive Team.

The Tigers (46-9, 16-7 SEC) snapped a four-game losing streak Sunday with a win over Texas A&M. They are the No. 4 seed in the SEC Softball Tournament in Starkville, Mississippi this week and will play the winner of the Alabama-Mississippi State game Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in the second round.

Check out the full list of postseason awards below.

First Team All-SEC

P - Delanie Gourley, Florida

P - Aleshia Ocasio, Florida

P - Kelsey Nunley, Kentucky

IF - Kasey Cooper, Auburn

IF - Alyssa DiCarlo, Georgia

IF - Bianka Bell, LSU

IF - Meghan Gregg, Tennessee

IF - Tori Vidales, Texas A&M

OF - Haylie McCleney, Alabama

OF - Amanda Lorenz, Florida

OF - Sydni Emanuel, Georgia

OF - Emily Crane, Missouri

C - Ashley Walters, Texas A&M

DP/U - Kayli Kvistad, Florida

Second Team All-SEC

P - Sydney Littlejohn, Alabama

P - Chelsea Wilkinson, Georgia

P - Carley Hoover, LSU

IF - Leona Lafaele, Alabama

IF - Jade Rhodes, Auburn

IF - Alex Hugo, Georgia

IF - Tina Iosefa, Georgia

IF - Sami Fagan, Missouri

OF - Kirsti Merritt, Florida

OF - Cortni Emanuel, Georgia

OF - Taylor Gadbois, Missouri

OF - Keeli Milligan, Texas A&M

C - Aubree Munro, Florida

DP/U - Rainey Gaffin, Tennessee

Freshman All-SEC

P - Kelly Barnhill, Florida

P - Matty Moss, Tennessee

P - Samantha Show, Texas A&M

IF - Alyssa DiCarlo, Georgia

IF - Lacey Sumerlin, Georgia

IF - Hailey Lunderman, Ole Miss

IF - Aubrey Leach, Tennessee

IF - Kaitlyn Alderink, Texas A&M

OF - Amanda Lorenz, Florida

OF - Regan Nash, Missouri

OF - Brooke Vines, Tennessee

OF - Keeli Milligan, Texas A&M

C - Reagan Dykes, Alabama

DP/U - Abbey Cheek, Kentucky

SEC All-Defensive

P - Rainey Gaffin, Tennessee

C - Aubree Munro, Florida

1B - Leona Lafaele, Alabama

1B - Jade Rhodes, Auburn

1B - Maisie Steed, Kentucky

1B - Tori Vidales, Texas A&M

2B - Emily Carosone, Auburn

SS - Christian Stokes, Kentucky

3B - Kasey Cooper, Auburn

LF - Kallie Case, Alabama

CF - Haylie McCleney, Alabama

RF - Emily Crane, Missouri

Player of the Year: Kasey Cooper, Auburn

Pitcher of the Year: Kelsey Nunley, Kentucky

Freshman of the Year: Amanda Lorenz, Florida

Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Kasey Cooper, Auburn

Coach of the Year: Rachel Lawson, Kentucky

She was also the Scholar Athlete of the Year! Impressive

Great for Kasey...but surprising to me that AU had so few recognized players considering the team record

Great for Kasey...but surprising to me that AU had so few recognized players considering the team record

Yeah, I expected Howard and Carosone to at least be Second Team. I thought Makayla Martin may have a shot at the Freshman Team.

Yeah, I expected Howard and Carosone to at least be Second Team. I thought Makayla Martin may have a shot at the Freshman Team.

There were lots of great freshman pitchers in the league this year. Makayla shared time in the circle with 4 other pitchers so she may have had more innings on another team. I'm glad she's in burnt orange and navy though ;)

Congrats and well deserved....Dang skippy there are too few Lady Tigers on the first and second team.....While not slighting anyone else, Carosone didn't get minimally 2nd team? Something wrong with that....

Congrats and well deserved....Dang skippy there are too few Lady Tigers on the first and second team.....While not slighting anyone else, Carosone didn't get minimally 2nd team? Something wrong with that....

Yep. She is 13th in BA, 3rd in OBP, an 1st in R. That was a sunb for sure.

The conference is full of super-stars.....every team has a couple that more or less carry that team.

Folks are learning that it's not smart to let Kasey beat them with her bat and are pretty content to walk her in critical situations. She's not getting good pitches now on a consistent basis...especially with Wallace and Rhodes in hitting slumps, opponents are willing to make her hit marginal pitches...or take a walk.

If she were batting in front of Carosone, she would see better pitches......and be killing folks....JMO

I've had a couple of classes with Kasey and she is consistently one of the hardest working students in the class (on top of being one of the smartest). She currently has a 4.0 GPA in Mechanical Engineering (as a reference, out of the 107 of us that graduated last weekend only 14 possibly had above a 3.8).

Wishing all of the best for Kasey! War Eagle!

I've had a couple of classes with Kasey and she is consistently one of the hardest working students in the class (on top of being one of the smartest). She currently has a 4.0 GPA in Mechanical Engineering (as a reference, out of the 107 of us that graduated last weekend only 14 possibly had above a 3.8).

Wishing all of the best for Kasey! War Eagle!

Congrats on the degree!

Archived