Coach Myers discusses expectations & positional thoughts

Link

AUBURN, Ala. – On a hot August day, as students returned to campus, Auburn softball coach Clint Myers was busy plotting the course for a return to Oklahoma City, where the Tigers of 2016 came up one game short of a national championship.

Clint Myers heads toward his fourth season as Auburn softball coach. (Photo: 247Sports)

Myers’ fourth Auburn team will have a different look. Three All-Americans – second baseman Emily Carosone, left fielderTiffany Howard and first baseman Jade Rhodes – are gone. So, too, are pitchers Lexi Davis, Rachael Walters and Marcy Harper, who played significant roles in turning Auburn’s program from an afterthought to a two-time SEC Tournament champion. But that changes nothing for Auburn’s Hall of Fame coach.

The 2-1 loss to Oklahoma in the Women's College World Series championship game still burns, and probably always will. But Myers is looking to the future, not the past.

“We have a pretty good nucleus,” Myers said. “Our expectations are no different. The first day, we talked about how to win the national championship. The expectations don’t change. Our expectations are to be in that game again. We have to finish it. We catch a groundball, we win. That’s it.”

Already, the Tigers have started the journey toward a third consecutive World Series. Players are allowed to work with coaches two hours per week, which they do in small groups. Fall practice starts on Sept. 16.

Auburn, to be sure, is not without proven weapons.

Three-time All-America third baseman Kasey Cooper was the ESPNW national Player of the Year last season. She will leave Auburn with offensive records that won’t be easily broken. Haley Fagan, who missed most of last season after a knee surgery, is back at shortstop. Victoria Draper is back in centerfield, Madi Gipson in right field and Carlee Wallace and Courtney Shea at catcher. Whitney Jordan, who played shortstop after Fagan and Kelsey Bogaards were lost to injury, is back, too.

In the circle, sophomore Makayla Martin and junior Kaylee Carlson will be the leaders, as they were for most of last season. Martin was dominant in the World Series.

It all starts with Cooper, who left last Saturday for Japan and the final tournament with Team USA. Already, she has celebrated a world championship.

“I would say it’s made her a much better person and softball player,” Myers said. “Every day she goes out, she works with the very best in the world. The umpiring is different internationally. Much bigger zone. You are facing elite pitching every day, not just occasionally.”

Cooper doesn’t just excel on the field. She has a 4.0 GPA in engineering.

Kasey Cooper was he ESPNW Player of the Year last season. (Photo: Auburn University)

“The only thing is there just isn’t a lot of time off,” Myers said. “She had a two-week period where she got to shadow a doctor in Birmingham. Then it was back to school. She left Saturday to go back to Japan.”

When Cooper returns, she’ll get some rest. But not much.’

“There are some things we’ll do to give her a little bit of a rest,” Myers said, “but to shut her down? No, that’s not in her makeup. If we shut her down completely, she’d go crazy. She has to have a physical outlet to get rid of some of the stress that goes with the class load she has.”

A look at some of the questions the Tigers face going toward next season:

Who will join Martin and Carlson in the circle?

Freshman right-hander Ashlee Swindle from Curry High School in Jasper is the leading candidate and could even push Martin and Carlson, Myers said.

Senior left-hander Jenna Abbott, who pitched some as a sophomore and spent last season mostly as a designated player, is also back in the pitching picture.

“For a while, the only thing she is really going to think about is pitching and hitting,” Myers said. “Bringing her back to pitching has been the plan all along.”

Who will replace Carosone at second base?

It could be Jordan, though she is probably more likely to end up in the outfield. Junior Emily Spain and sophomore Casey McCrackin will get looks there, as will freshman Kaitlyn Crocker from Hillside High School in Tuscaloosa.

Cooper plays second base for Team USA. A position change is not likely, but neither would Myers say it’s impossible.

“Second base on our team is the most complicated position we have,” Myers said. “So many things are involved. The shortstop has to be a great athlete. The second baseman has to think and think quick.”

Who will replace Rhodes at first base?

Sophomore Washington transfer Tannon Snow is the leading candidate, but slugging freshman Justus Perry from Prior Lake (Minn.) High School will be head from, too. Sophomore Kendall Veach also is in the mix. Snow can also play third base.

It’s a matter of time, Myers said, before Perry breaks out.

“She’s learning how to play the game,” Myers said. “She’s a typical freshman. She overtries, fights herself. She’s here because we think she is a good player. She has a big upside, tremendous power. It may be this year, may be next year, may be the year after. We always hope for sooner than later. She has a chance to be an impact player.”

Who will replace Howard in left field?

Jordan will get a hard look if she’s not needed in the infield, because her bat is needed in the lineup. She was an outfielder last season before injuries forced the move to shortstop.

“Whitney finished the season swinging the bat like we thought she could,” Myers said. “We have to be able to score some runs. We’d like to have her bat in the lineup.”

Sophomores Morgan Podany and Bree Forniss also will be in the mix.

FWIW since it has been asked on here PM also said Snow is a corner infielder, according to Myers. Not a shortstop. Fagan's knee is fine. She's not even wearing a brace. There is no plan to move her from shortstop.

Thanks E....a great report from the coach.  Sounds like there should not be any drop off this season though I'm still waiting to see if someone can provide all the offense that Carosone took when she left school.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks E....a great report from the coach.  Sounds like there should not be any drop off this season though I'm still waiting to see if someone can provide all the offense that Carosone took when she left school.

With Haley back & if a couple of girls can pick things up with the bat, including Tannon bouncing back from a freshman year where she struggled at U-Dub, I think 2017 can be a more balanced line up. We struggled a good bit of the conference season after teams got past Jade Rhoads at bats.

Just now, ellitor said:

With Haley back & if a couple of girls can pick things up with the bat, including Tannon bouncing back from a freshman year where she struggled at U-Dub, I think 2017 can be a more balanced line up. We struggled a good bit of the conference season after teams got past Jade Rhoads at bats.

Yep....seemed they were willing to pitch to EC and walk KC if necessary and then take their chances after that in the line-up.  The decision to move Cooper later in the season helped I think be we were mostly in the position of scoring ...or threatening in every other inning.   Watching the Okies, there was never a chance for the AU pitchers to relax against a .200 hitter or two.    That was our Achilles heel.....lack of hitting at the bottom of the line-up giving the opposition pitchers some breaks.

25 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

Are you sure that Kasey doesn't play third base for the USA National Team?

Yes. She plays 2nd per Coach Myers.

I never would have thought about KC playing second next year, but that's intriguing.  The fact that she's been playing the position all summer at the international level is definitely a plus.  As CCM says, that's a tough position and she would bring experience.  I'm excited about Swindle coming in.  Next year we could have 3 pitchers who would be number 1's at most schools.  Talk about depth.  WOW!!!!  Bringing Abbot back to pitcher gives us a lefty, which we really need.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if the WCWS finals are the same 2 teams.

The statement he made that looks optimistic about the future of AU softball, was in softball you start recruiting players in the 8 grade and we are projected to have  the number 1 recruiting class for the next 3 YEARS. The future in softball looks bright.  Coach Myers son, will graduate soon and will be named co-head  coach (i think).  Also, he is very family orientated and understands and likes Auburn University being a family.  He main approach to coaching is for the team to be a family with the coaching staff being part of the team family.  

Another interesting statement, someone ask about buying season SB tickets.  He was told that last year's season ticket holders will get to buy them first and then they are open for the general public.  But then coach Myers stated that addition seats would be added in the future, and his goal was to have enough seats so anyone wanting to come to any game could pay $7 get a ticket. I don't know what that mean, but for some games that would take a lots of seats.  Also, as been stated before, he brought up the fact that over 2,000 fans were watching the third game of the championship with NO team on the field.   That made a big impression on him and the team.  

Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 11:37 am | Updated: 11:51 am, Sun Sep 11, 2016.

The Myers trio will be back again at Jane B. Moore Field this year.

Casey Myers, who left the Auburn program last winter to pursue a position with the San Diego Padres, has returned to the Tigers dugout, Auburn head coach Clint Myers confirmed with the Opelika-Auburn News on Sunday.

“He’s here now,” Clint Myers said. “We’re glad to have him back.”

Myers, who was a volunteer assistant with the Tigers before leaving for San Diego to become the Padres staff coordinator, will return to Auburn in the same capacity as he left earlier this year. He also worked closely with the hitters, and will resume that responsibility.

According to Clint Myers, the Padres let Casey Myers return to Auburn after the finish of the minor league season.

“He got an early release from the Padres and he’s back,” Clint Myers said. “He gave pro ball a shot, and it kind of didn’t work out the way he wanted and he’s happy to be back.

“He enjoyed the people he was with, but he missed the teaching, the coaching.”

Though the Tigers were a win away from its first national championship in school history when it lost to Oklahoma in the Women’s College World Series in June, the offensive stats did take a slight down turn with Casey Myers away from the team. In 2016, the Tigers had a cumulative .317 average with Kasey Cooper being the only hitter over .400 (.422). In 2015, the team’s average was .339 with two players — Emily Carosone and Tiffany Howard — both with plus-.400 averages.

Also in 2015 with Casey Myers on staff, the Tigers were fourth in the country in on-base percentage (.460). In 2016, the Tigers were fifth in the country in that category with a .436 mark.

Hunter Veach, who stepped in as volunteer coach after Casey Myers’ departure last season, is still on the staff and will serve as manager. Corey Myers was promoted to associate head coach in August and Scott Woodard remains assistant coach.

The team officially reports on Sept. 16 with Casey Myers being back in full capacity when camp opens.

“They (the players) were very excited,” Clint Myers said. “We told them when we went to the Atlanta Braves game (against the Padres on Sept. 1). The new ones haven’t had a chance to work with him yet, but the other girls, they were so excited.”

Myers, who was recently named to the Arizona State Athletics Hall of Fame, was drafted out of ASU in the 30th round of the 2000 MLB June Amateur Draft but elected to return to school. He was then drafted in the ninth round by the Oakland Athletics in the 2001 Amateur Draft.

After his minor league career, which lasted five seasons playing within the Oakland farm system reaching as high as AA, Casey Myers was a hitting coach with the Vancouver Canadians, which at the time was a Class A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. He also was on the coaching staff of the A’s affiliate teams the Vermont Lake Monsters (short season A) and the Beloit Snappers (A) before coming to Auburn when his father was hired in 2013.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/softball/casey-myers-returning-to-auburn-softball-program/article_fb3a3646-783d-11e6-a815-c3863052dae6.html

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:28 AM, saminbama said:

I never would have thought about KC playing second next year, but that's intriguing.  The fact that she's been playing the position all summer at the international level is definitely a plus.  As CCM says, that's a tough position and she would bring experience.  I'm excited about Swindle coming in.  Next year we could have 3 pitchers who would be number 1's at most schools.  Talk about depth.  WOW!!!!  Bringing Abbot back to pitcher gives us a lefty, which we really need.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if the WCWS finals are the same 2 teams.

I also noticed on the roster for this year that Alexa Nemeth a freshman LHP from Auburn HS is listed.  Can't find a lot about her but maybe some of the Auburn locals can chime in with some info.  She would not be on the roster if they did not feel she had potential to contribute.  As far as KC, I don't know if anyone else can make that throw from 3rd to 1st the way she does it. 

On 9/11/2016 at 8:28 AM, saminbama said:

CCM is not considering KC at 2nd FWIW. From what I gathered it's likely 1 of the 3 girls in the article in the OP.

Thanks for the info.  I know the position change for KC is intriguing, but she IS a 3 year starter at third.  The right side of the infield will need to be rebuilt and there are a lot of possibilities.  I know these coaches will probably have some late nights trying to decide.  We have so much talent.  Great problem to have.

21 hours ago, slot canyon said:

I also noticed on the roster for this year that Alexa Nemeth a freshman LHP from Auburn HS is listed.  Can't find a lot about her but maybe some of the Auburn locals can chime in with some info.  She would not be on the roster if they did not feel she had potential to contribute.  As far as KC, I don't know if anyone else can make that throw from 3rd to 1st the way she does it. 

Sometime local, non-scholarship players, if they are good enough to help are added to the team for practice and depth purposes. They are allowed to dress for home games and occasionally play in a blowout situation. We have a friends' daughter that just finished doing three or four years of this. Think "walkon" on the football team.

2 hours ago, warladytigers said:

I notice that on the score book for the National team that Kasey is listed at 3rd base....unless she is the designated hitter.

IDK what to tell you. I was just relaying that Coach Myers said KC was playing 2nd for the national team. That's all I know.

The one major sport at AU that we can count on now to be great ever year as long as Coach Myers is around. It really is refreshing. We are gonna be absolute savages this year. Martin was a absolute beast in the World Series. We will potentially have 2 legit aces in her and the Swindle girl IMO by the time the second half of the season rolls around. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The one major sport at AU that we can count on now to be great ever year as long as Coach Myers is around. It really is refreshing. We are gonna be absolute savages this year. Martin was a absolute beast in the World Series. We will potentially have 2 legit aces in her and the Swindle girl IMO by the time the second half of the season rolls around. 

Don't sleep on Carlson too. She was the ace of the staff the majority of the season.

Just now, ellitor said:

Don't sleep on Carlson too. She was the ace of the staff the majority of the season.

I unfortunately think she will get squeezed out like Lexi did at the end of last season. She does not have the upside of the other 2 imo but she is very dependable and solid for sure. Probaly be our Rachel Walters this season.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I unfortunately think she will get squeezed out like Lexi did at the end of last season. She does not have the upside of the other 2 imo but she is very dependable and solid for sure. Probaly be our Rachel Walters this season.

I don't. I think we will be a 3 woman rotation. I can't see CCM putting half the pitching weight on a true freshman. Historically it's not his nature to do that.

On 9/21/2016 at 10:09 AM, ellitor said:

I don't. I think we will be a 3 woman rotation. I can't see CCM putting half the pitching weight on a true freshman. Historically it's not his nature to do that.

I absolutely agree.  Carlson will absolutely be a MAJOR part of this rotation all season.

Archived