Malzahn possibly not calling plays

Dual-Threat Rigby

Rather it's Malzahn or Lashlee calling the plays, it's NOT working. We need a TRUE OC/QB coach. Thank the Lord we have Daniel Carlson on our side.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AURaptor said:

If an offensive ' guru ' like Gus can't figure out how to call plays... what purpose does he serve ? Seriously, this was suppose to be HIS ship, and he was going to set matters right.  Auburn FAST !! , and all that. :gofig: 

What's his deal ? Why is he seemingly blanking it up now ? 

I don't honestly care if he ever does a thing again, if Lashlee/Briles works and we get a championship again, ANYONE can have the glory.

I love Gus. Because he can implement and call an offense so well . Pre'15 no one we ever had was better. If he is not doing that I don't see his value. I don't like it. 

15 hours ago, alexava said:

I love Gus. Because he can implement and call an offense so well . Pre'15 no one we ever had was better. If he is not doing that I don't see his value. I don't like it. 

Problem becomes compounded when Gus is still learning to be a HC, so we now have a HC in training along with an OC in training? Oh boy...

This setup CAN work if we have a proven OC. I would be much happier if our OC had some actual experience calling successful offenses. Maybe this gets the ball rolling on us getting a real OC as I see lots of scapegoating comments. But as you said, we're paying $4M to a guy to run his offense except he's delegating to a less gifted individual. *shrug*

SIlver lining, maybe Gus is realizing he needs to focus on running the TEAM, and is making a long play to replace CRL after this season, and a true OC will step in. And the new guy will call the plays as well. IF we have to find a new coach, I'd rather his strength be his managerial skills rather than a skill set that he wouldn't even be able to utilize as a HC. And the only way to find someone like that is someone who has shown they have the goods as a HC. I'm not sure what the best case scenario is. Barnhart tweeted that LSU decided to fire Miles yesterday because they feared him being able to do enough to save his job towards the end of the year which would lead them into the same cycle. I'm hoping Gus shows the ability to grow and evolve more than Miles because that was Les' undoing because if we keep seeing rookie HC mistakes the program can spiral downward. I hope we look at this as a time where "good thing we didn't get rid of Gus" as opposed to "we should've taken a preemptive stance and made a change before it got to this point". We have our share of red flags, but Gus is young in the HC world so he, hopefully, has room to grow.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Problem becomes compounded when Gus is still learning to be a HC, so we now have a HC in training along with an OC in training? Oh boy...

This setup CAN work if we have a proven OC. I would be much happier if our OC had some actual experience calling successful offenses. Maybe this gets the ball rolling on us getting a real OC as I see lots of scapegoating comments. But as you said, we're paying $4M to a guy to run his offense except he's delegating to a less gifted individual. *shrug*

SIlver lining, maybe Gus is realizing he needs to focus on running the TEAM, and is making a long play to replace CRL after this season, and a true OC will step in. And the new guy will call the plays as well. IF we have to find a new coach, I'd rather his strength be his managerial skills rather than a skill set that he wouldn't even be able to utilize as a HC. And the only way to find someone like that is someone who has shown they have the goods as a HC. I'm not sure what the best case scenario is. Barnhart tweeted that LSU decided to fire Miles yesterday because they feared him being able to do enough to save his job towards the end of the year which would lead them into the same cycle. I'm hoping Gus shows the ability to grow and evolve more than Miles because that was Les' undoing because if we keep seeing rookie HC mistakes the program can spiral downward. I hope we look at this as a time where "good thing we didn't get rid of Gus" as opposed to "we should've taken a preemptive stance and made a change before it got to this point". We have our share of red flags, but Gus is young in the HC world so he, hopefully, has room to grow.

it just don't set right with me that ONE DAMN SECOND is what decided the futures of these two men. 

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

it just don't set right with me that ONE DAMN SECOND is what decided the futures of these two men. 

As quickly as LSU acted yesterday with all their staff changes after Miles was fired means this was in the works long before that 1 second ran off of the clock Saturday night.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

As quickly as LSU acted yesterday with all their staff changes after Miles was fired means this was in the works long before that 1 second ran off of the clock Saturday night.

wde

if it turned out different (19-18corndogs win) is les still the coach. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I am not sure.  I would normally say yes he would, but like I said, LSU was so ready with the staff changes that I wonder how much longer they would have given him even if LSU had scored to win the game.

wde

21 minutes ago, alexava said:

Only until he lost another SEC game against bammer, or Arky, or Ole Miss...all of which crushed LSU at the end of last season prior to the job-saving home upset of aTm.  Les Miles was a fired coach coming into this year unless he was able to at least win the SECW *and* beat bammer.

37 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Only until he lost another SEC game against bammer, or Arky, or Ole Miss...all of which crushed LSU at the end of last season prior to the job-saving home upset of aTm.  Les Miles was a fired coach coming into this year unless he was able to at least win the SECW *and* beat bammer.

He was the famous "dead man walking" which makes me wonder why CDC went there and how they had such a good recruiting class. ..something like #5 or so.

Seems like LSU is at a point now where they could have a scarecrow as HC and still pull top 5 classes just based on the in-state talent that wants to go there. I think Lousiana has the most NFL players per capita in the country I believe and the vast majority of them grow up with LSU bedsheets.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Seems like LSU is at a point now where they could have a scarecrow as HC and still pull top 5 classes just based on the in-state talent that wants to go there. I think Lousiana has the most NFL players per capita in the country I believe and the vast majority of them grow up with LSU bedsheets.

I dunno if that have the most NFL talent per capita,. but I do know that LSU has the most active players in the NFL of any team in the SEC right now with 46/ (AU has 30 active. bammer has 43.)  Miles may not have been a great coach when it comes to running a wide open offense, but dang that man and his staff could sure recruit!

1 hour ago, alexava said:

1 hour ago, alexava said:

When the people who pull the football strings decide it's your time, it doesn't matter if it's 1 second or 1 season, they will find their reason to send you packing.  If Les would have won, the hammer would have just been on hold until he did lose.

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I dunno if that have the most NFL talent per capita,. but I do know that LSU has the most active players in the NFL of any team in the SEC right now with 46/ (AU has 30 active. bammer has 43.)  Miles may not have been a great coach when it comes to running a wide open offense, but dang that man and his staff could sure recruit!

I'll try to find the link later but I remember reading it a year or 2 ago about Louisiana. 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I'll try to find the link later but I remember reading it a year or 2 ago about Louisiana. 

Hey, would not surprise me. I'm reasonably certain that most of LSWho's roster come from in state. I do know that just like the state of Alabama that Louisiana turns out a large number of blue chippers in relation to their populace.

9 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Hey, would not surprise me. I'm reasonably certain that most of LSWho's roster come from in state. I do know that just like the state of Alabama that Louisiana turns out a large number of blue chippers in relation to their populace.

Ok so I'm glad I recalled that correctly considering my faulty memory. http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/09/louisiana_has_the_most_players.html

I can't find the same exact figure for 2016. However, I found one with NFL draft picks per capita (lol North Dakota actually is #1 in that category right now with an incredible TWO draft picks)

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/the-state-with-the-most-nfl-draft-picks-per-capita-may-surprise-you

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Ok so I'm glad I recalled that correctly considering my faulty memory. http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/09/louisiana_has_the_most_players.html

I can't find the same exact figure for 2016. However, I found one with NFL draft picks per capita (lol North Dakota actually is #1 in that category right now with an incredible TWO draft picks)

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/the-state-with-the-most-nfl-draft-picks-per-capita-may-surprise-you

Appreciate you going to the trouble to turn up those links, Tiger! Thanks!

43 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

When the people who pull the football strings decide it's your time, it doesn't matter if it's 1 second or 1 season, they will find their reason to send you packing.  If Les would have won, the hammer would have just been on hold until he did lose.

then they should have done it last year.

Just now, alexava said:

then they should have done it last year.

They tried... No clue how they failed, to be honest, but they apparently made sure that obstacle was gone this year.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

They tried... No clue how they failed, to be honest, but they apparently made sure that obstacle was gone this year.

Last year ex-governor Bobby Jindal put the brakes on. And the season ending upset of aTm in Baton Rogue with Tiger stadium all chanting "Les! Les! Les!" and cheering him on on national TV probably didn't hurt his cause much either.

20 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Appreciate you going to the trouble to turn up those links, Tiger! Thanks!

No problem, sir!

No matter who's the play caller, their not getting the job done. You should be able to score on 3rd or 4th down at LSU's 1. And yet, we came away with zero points as the first half ended. That's down right crappy play calling.

35 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

No matter who's the play caller, their not getting the job done. You should be able to score on 3rd or 4th down at LSU's 1. And yet, we came away with zero points as the first half ended. That's down right crappy play calling.

No... that was down right crappy execution by the O-Line... especially on the first attempt. While they could have called something that may have been more effective, that one was all on Hand not having his guys ready to block on a 1 yard dive.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

No... that was down right crappy execution by the O-Line... especially on the first attempt. While they could have called something that may have been more effective, that one was all on Hand not having his guys ready to block on a 1 yard dive.

That play was a staple of the AU offense...the guys should have been able to block that in their sleep.  Nothing the coach can do once the game is under way IMO....except call the plays and trust the players will do what they have been practicing for months.  

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

That play was a staple of the AU offense...the guys should have been able to block that in their sleep.  Nothing the coach can do once the game is under way IMO....except call the plays and trust the players will do what they have been practicing for months.  

While I don't disagree with what you are saying, the blocking scheme they used for the play was the issue, not the execution.  The center and guard double teamed one of the defensive tackles leaving a wide open hole for the linebacker.  I can't imagine they have been practicing taking out the linebacker and then, two plays in a row, decided not to.

Again, we go back to Hand's record.  The guy apparently does not know how to coach blocking schemes.

Archived