All Things Woody Barrett (Merged)

trout54

Just now, IronMan70 said:

The defense was forced to play JF3 much different than the other 2 and that opened up better running lanes for the RB. Use an SW/JF3 combination exclusively while JF3 gets all his reads down. Let WB learn the offense, warm up in the wings, then get him a certain amount of playing time this year.

If Gus is thinking about the future, which I think he might be, assuming he can survive this year, I think he wants to conserve Woody Barrett's redshirt so that if he IS the guy, he can have plenty of time to develop and really propel Gus.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

If Gus is thinking about the future, which I think he might be, assuming he can survive this year, I think he wants to conserve Woody Barrett's redshirt so that if he IS the guy, he can have plenty of time to develop and really propel Gus.

I hear you and I had actually considered that. My thinking was if he really turns out to be that good he won't be around anyway. So especially at the skill positions, use 'em or lose 'em,  .

the irony of some people calling for Woody is funny to me. We already had 5 players take snaps and everyone is clamoring to cut that number down by at least 3 while there is an idea floating out there that a guy who still probably needs help getting to the right class buildings should be thrown in the mix.

We could have a fusion of Cam Newton, Mike Vick, and Tom Brady playing QB and it wouldn't matter because of how putrid our OL is. Woody will become Frazier 2.0 if we throw him in there right now. Let's keep the possibility of him being good alive.

With all that being said, we still had a chance to win the game. If Key catches that ball in the endzone, or if white doesn't over throw cox on the lutz play, and we had a shot to get a field goal on two separate drives, but gus chose to for it on 4th down. One Johnson got stopped and white threw an int on the other. We make one of these four plays and we win the game. Yeah, playing 3 QB's is unconventional, but imagine Texas A&M and LSU having to prepare for 3 QB's. Hell, it just might work. Gus runs a unconventional offense, let him be unconventional.

18 minutes ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

With all that being said, we still had a chance to win the game. If Key catches that ball in the endzone, or if white doesn't over throw cox on the lutz play, and we had a shot to get a field goal on two separate drives, but gus chose to for it on 4th down. One Johnson got stopped and white threw an int on the other. We make one of these four plays and we win the game. Yeah, playing 3 QB's is unconventional, but imagine Texas A&M and LSU having to prepare for 3 QB's. Hell, it just might work. Gus runs a unconventional offense, let him be unconventional.

I hope you know Texas A&M and LSU have studs on their defensive line. On paper, their lines stack up better than Clemson. There wouldn't be much to prepare for. 

On 9/4/2016 at 0:35 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You people just don't get it do you. Cam Newton could not win with the play calling that was going on last night. From design Gus decided to do this. It wasn't upon any failure of any QB that he called plays like CC at the wildcat with two or three QBs in the game. Contrary to his opinion they are not capable of making a good game plan. It might be ok to throw a trick play in now and then but they overall have a low ceiling as far as been successful. I don't even know if I can blame the line. With so many hocus-pocus plays, they probably had blocking schemes that were unimaginable. I will say this  now had Lane Kifften and I dislike him greatly ( and never want him to step on AU soil ) had been the OC last night we most likely win that ball game. Hate to say it but it is true. Gus better figure this out soon. WDE

Good post.  I don't think Gus realized how good our D was going to play and that we could in fact shut down the Clemson offense and win by running a conventional offense.  Thought he had to do something wild and crazy to confuse CU.  I don't think we could have done any better if Watson was one of our three QBs Saturday night. The timing was off for SW and JJ with constantly going in and out.  Several passes were off be a little bit but under these circumstances can't blame the QB's.  Haters keep harping on the terrible interception at the end.  Actually it wasn't so terrible although any int. is bad.  Best scenario is TD pass.  Second best is int. at 2 yd line. That was better than int. in end zone and even better than incomplete in that situation.  We were able to get ball back quickly with our D.  Backup QB is most popular guy for most teams but for AU it is 4th string QB.  People complaining about Gus being wild and crazy are wildly calling for our true freshman QB. WDE

6 minutes ago, autan said:

Good post.  I don't think Gus realized how good our D was going to play and that we could in fact shut down the Clemson offense and win by running a conventional offense.  Thought he had to do something wild and crazy to confuse CU.  I don't think we could have done any better if Watson was one of our three QBs Saturday night. The timing was off for SW and JJ with constantly going in and out.  Several passes were off be a little bit but under these circumstances can't blame the QB's.  Haters keep harping on the terrible interception at the end.  Actually it wasn't so terrible although any int. is bad.  Best scenario is TD pass.  Second best is int. at 2 yd line. That was better than int. in end zone and even better than incomplete in that situation.  We were able to get ball back quickly with our D.  Backup QB is most popular guy for most teams but for AU it is 4th string QB.  People complaining about Gus being wild and crazy are wildly calling for our true freshman QB. WDE

There would be no split reps or 1 of 3 QBs if Watson was in an AU uniform. That alone would of made it better because we would have a true DT QB.

On 9/4/2016 at 2:06 PM, IronMan70 said:

The defense was forced to play JF3 much different than the other 2 and that opened up better running lanes for the RB. Use an SW/JF3 combination exclusively while JF3 gets all his reads down. Let WB learn the offense, warm up in the wings, then get him a certain amount of playing time this year.

SW/JF3 would work fine. Anyone watch Texas manage their 2 QBs. Granted Swoopes is a man to take down and I am certainly not trying to compare with JF3. There is a right and wrong time to swap QBs. That three ring circus we saw Saturday is not the right way. QB was not the problem Saturday night. It was pulling a QB when he would get any sort of momentum. It really looked like he was pulling them anytime they did something good. I am not going to get into the issue with the line right now. Clemson setup camp and had smores in the backfield.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not typically something you declare. Either he plays in a game this year or he doesn't. Gus hasn't said if he will or not. If he doesn't, he gets a redshirt. 

Since Franklin apparently cannot hit the broad side of a barn with a football it probably wouldn't hurt for Woody to get some reps next weekend.  JJ is a lost cause and we need someone with dual threat capability in case something happens to White.  

50 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Since Franklin apparently cannot hit the broad side of a barn with a football it probably wouldn't hurt for Woody to get some reps next weekend.  JJ is a lost cause and we need someone with dual threat capability in case something happens to White.  

I agree wholeheartedly. JFIII is a running back posing as a QB. Jeremy is done. Get Woody ready to take the reins should he be needed this season. This coming weekend is a great opportunity, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

2 hours ago, vhsandaufan said:

As much as I would love to see him this year because Sean has shown a consistent ability to lead this team to the end zone against quality competition, I think it's best he redshirts

I clearly have not been watching the correct Auburn team. 

1 minute ago, MIGMAN said:

I clearly have not been watching the correct Auburn team. 

It's the same thing he posted in another thread except in this one he left the "in" off in front of consistent.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him this week. I just don't think we have much of a choice at this point.

Sean isn't doing a bad job.  His accuracy is constantly in the 60-70% range which is what you are looking for.  I would hope Woody's redshirt is retained to keep his eligibility.  Woody's HS coach has also stated a redshirt would be best for him as he still needs to develop a little bit.  Having said all of that though, we have reason to be excited for the next few seasons with how well the freshmen and sophomores are playing.  And who knows, Miles' firing could help us snag a few of his elite recruits...

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

To be completely honest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him this week. I just don't think we have much of a choice at this point.

Right.  I was all for red shirting him but now that we have seen the other two alternatives in action I don't think the coaches have a choice.  Let's say Sean gets hurt.  Put JF3 in and the DC's are going to put about 9 guys within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage because they know he is going to run and even if a receiver got open he couldn't get the ball to them.  If JJ goes in they are going to put 5 DB's in and wait on him to throw them the ball because he is not going to take the hits a running QB is going to have to take.  So neither is any type of real dual threat.  And another consideration is next year. Sean is not the long term answer to our offensive woes unless Gus is changing the offense and bringing in a new OC such as Briles to implement a real passing attack.  If we are staying with the current offense next year the QB must be much more of a running threat and that ain't Sean.  Might as well get Woody ready, get him in some games and see what he can do in some live situations.  We obviously need some help down on the goal line and that would be a good chance to get him some snaps and make the defenses play us more honest.  

Difficult call IMO. Woody is already a big, strong, fast guy but the frazzled minds of most true frosh need time for the elite level game to slow down so a redshirt would give him that mental time. On the other Hand (pun intended), our QB's are in the Hands of very debatable instruction/coaching quality so he may get "ready" quicker from real-game throws and taking some big boy hits against second-tier teams this season than he would taking a redshirt. Doubt our staff agrees their QB prep is that dicey so I'd bet a redshirt is in store for the WB1 (Woody Barrett the First?). 

I believe Woody will keep his red shirt.  If we do have an injury at QB I would think the priority would be JFIII, JJ and then Tyler Queen.  If have read (I think on this board) Queen is on a pitch count and has been cleared for contact.  That coupled with Gus' tendency to not play a QB he doesn't trust if he doesn't have to.  When he put SW in last year, he severely cut the playbook down and "protected" him in the first 2-3 games.  Gus has shown the tendency to do this even with Cam and NM, in that both of these QBs didn't excel until 3-4 games into their breakout season.  This is just what I have observed as Gus' tendancies, no inside information.

Love to hear from 23, WDE, Bird, Golf, E or someone that may have heard things from practice. What is the latest on Barrett? Is he progressing? Can he throw the ball?

Archived