bama Loses Top Prospect

Proud Tiger

Mikell Simpson, highly rated RB from Harrisburg, PA, and one of bama's high priority prospects announced today he would be going to Virginia. He did the old hat trick......pulled out a bama hat and said he was going to Virginia. I hate these kids that do that. No class at all but I guess they think it's funny. if I was a bama LB and ever played against Simpson, I would have a bama hat under my jersey and the first time I ever smacked him I would pull it out and say "you should have gone with this one."

since it was bammer, i thought it was funny.....in any other case, i would tend to agree with you

141871[/snapback]

You are baaaaaaaaaad ro the core :D:D

In all fairness to Mikell, I don't think he really did the hat switch. I think he was just nervous. He never actually swapped hats. He said he was going to Alabama, then put a UVA cap on and said "uh I mean Virginia" I didn't see it myself, but from the folks I've spoken with that did, they said he seemed very nervous and just said the wrong thing. Supposedly, just before he announced, he was being asked a lot of questions about Alabama and had us/them on his mind.

I think it is a punk thing to do. Punk antics seem to be a high priority for modern college prospects. A lot of them like the attention of the “big switch.” A lot of them also have no conception of what a commitment means. It just a general lack of character amongst the people recruited to play college athletics. CTT has made an effort to try and steer away from these types of recruits and it has paid HUGE dividends for our program.

I think Simpson decided he was going to UVA the day we got Mike Ford.

141886[/snapback]

That may be true but I don't think Mike Ford will qualify.

141886[/snapback]

That may be true but I don't think Mike Ford will qualify.

141895[/snapback]

He may not. But from Simpson's perspective, Bama already had 2 coming in...UVA with none. I think the ford verbal made his decision easier.

I saw the announcement on the 6 o'clock news on NBC 13 tonight and I don't think there was anything out of line about it. He seemed a little embarrassed when he realized what he said then corrected himself. He did seem a tad nervous.

Who cares about the way he did it. Wow, you guys are so judgemental. Can't have any fun or try to get a laugh without being classless.. thats just my opinion on the situation, and I am sure that most of you disagree, and maybe 1 or 2 that agree.

If this guy would have did that, but between Alabama/Auburn, and he chose Auburn... I guess Proud Tiger would do this:

[ I would have a bama hat under my jersey and the first time I ever smacked him I would pull it out and say "you should have gone with this one." ]

Come on... you don't know the guy.

141886[/snapback]

That's interesting. Ford commited awhile back. Yet just two days ago (Monday) you said Simspon and Upchurch would commit today and you thought bama would get one. I interpret that to mean as of Monday you thought bama had a 50/50 chance at Simpson. Now it's that old spin.....we weren't in the picture anymore after we got Ford... blah, blah.

For the record, do you think bama will get Upchurch or Rouse or both?

Who cares about the way he did it. Wow, you guys are so judgemental. Can't have any fun or try to get a laugh without being classless.. thats just my opinion on the situation, and I am sure that most of you disagree, and maybe 1 or 2 that agree.

If this guy would have did that, but between Alabama/Auburn, and he chose Auburn...  I guess Proud Tiger would do this:

[ I would have a bama hat under my jersey and the first time I ever smacked him I would pull it out and say "you should have gone with this one." ]

Come on... you don't know the guy.

141913[/snapback]

Well you are right. That's exactly what I would do.......if I were Proud Pachyderm :big::big:

PT I honestly didnt think we'd get ANYMORE RBs after Ford verballed last week...Maybe it was the week before? Im not sure...

I remember one of the last updates I read on Simpson was that he said "bama is looking at bringing in one more back...and its between me and upchurch"...that was BEFORE ford verballed.

I honestly didnt think wed get simpson. Not after ford. It doesnt make sense. UVA has no true rbs in their class...and its closer to home. He was very tight lipped about it, so it was hard to tell. But I counted him out as soon as Ford verballed.

But we have been going after upchurch like crazy and many think he is a silent verbal already (i dont). I think we have a shot...only because the other school on his board already is stacked at RB (FSU).

I think Rouse is a total longshot. But he keeps talking us up in his interviews. I think the fact that we have a scholly tied up in Nick Kyles (WR) says a lot about where the staff thinks rouse is going. Id love to have him, but I think he's FSU or UM bound.

What uat REALLY needs is a qb and an O-line ! ! ! B)

What uat REALLY needs is a qb and an O-line ! ! ! B)

141955[/snapback]

What they Really need is a Coach............Wait.......Coach Hula is a Great Coach, he should stay a bammer forever...... :roflol::roflol::puke::ua:

PT I honestly didnt think we'd get ANYMORE RBs after Ford verballed last week...Maybe it was the week before? Im not sure...

141947[/snapback]

I was only going by what you said most recently (last Monday) that you thought bama would get either Simpson or Upchurch. As I said that implies to me that as recently as Monday you thought bama had a shot at Simpson. :rolleyes:

In all fairness to Mikell, I don't think he really did the hat switch. I think he was just nervous. He never actually swapped hats. He said he was going to Alabama, then put a UVA cap on and said "uh I mean Virginia" I didn't see it myself, but from the folks I've spoken with that did, they said he seemed very nervous and just said the wrong thing. Supposedly, just before he announced, he was being asked a lot of questions about Alabama and had us/them on his mind.

141879[/snapback]

No, I saw it, and he may have been nervous, but he meant to do what he did. He had a smirk on his face. I think that he thought it was a cute act. I think these young men have a right to go where ever they want to go, but they need to remember one thing. They have not done anything in college ball yet. Just because you were a big deal in high school does not always mean that you will be so in college. He may regret this dicision, and I hope he doesn't. All college kids should be happy at the college of their choice, and football players should be no different. So, I wish him the best, but he should not get so cocky yet.

141879[/snapback]

No, I saw it, and he may have been nervous, but he meant to do what he did. He had a smirk on his face. I think that he thought it was a cute act. I think these young men have a right to go where ever they want to go, but they need to remember one thing. They have not done anything in college ball yet. Just because you were a big deal in high school does not always mean that you will be so in college. He may regret this dicision, and I hope he doesn't. All college kids should be happy at the college of their choice, and football players should be no different. So, I wish him the best, but he should not get so cocky yet.

142000[/snapback]

Translation: "Darn it, uat lost another one." :rolleyes:

I don't have a big problem with the kids having some fun with their announcements and I really don't think they're trying to disrespect a certain school by doing the hat or jersey switch. Remember, they were considering attending each school right down to the end.

Also, don't forget that there are a lot of folks making a ton of money off the whole recruiting process, from pay sites, to recruiting mags to Countdown to Signing Day, etc. We're out here hanging on their every word and the comments made by friends of their friends about what they had to eat, if they're dating someone who's father used to pull for South Carolina and which way they may be "leaning." Dang, we've got the biggest sports conglomorate in history covering this guys announcement.

I think the true measure of class or lack thereof, will play itself out when they get in their chosen school and show what they're all about in the classroom, on the field and in college society.

Archived