Antone Smith

pmurphy

Comments from those that saw Smith on Countdown to Signing Day last night.His fim clips looked great.I personally thought he seemed leaning to Fla when asked to comment on his 4 schools remaining - AU,Fl,FSU and Miami.Hope I'm wrong but all he said about AU and TT was how nice everyone is

It would be great to get him, but it is very hard to pull a big recruit like that out of Florida when all 3 want him. If we don't get him then we still have a great class.

Can someone pronounce the kid's first name for me?  I've never heard someone say it...

Which is it?

an-ton

an-twan

an-toni

142108[/snapback]

I believe it is the first pronunciation.

I doubt anyone 'knows', other than Mr Smith himself. Was listening to Jamie Newberg today, and he said that none of the coaches has a clue as to which way this kid is gonna decide. Jamie has made comments to the effect that he thinks A.S. likes Auburn , but that the pressure for him to stay 'at home' is pretty significant.

We shall see.

I think I read where CTT visited A Smith on the way back from the Orange Bowl. But I also know that he is visiting Bobby Greenwood in home tonight. The Bama coaches visited him the other night and FSU visited a while back. This might be good news for us as CTT is known as a late closer and since he's the last one to visit, maybe he can close the deal. If Greenwood chooses AU, it would be a big deal because I think he was a Bama lean all the way. It would show that CTT is a lot better at recruiting than hooleo (or hula or whatever they call him). If he chooses bama, well...he's always had them at the top and he was their's to lose.

I think I read where CTT visited A Smith on the way back from the Orange Bowl. But I also know that he is visiting Bobby Greenwood in home tonight. The Bama coaches visited him the other night and FSU visited a while back. This might be good news for us as CTT is known as a late closer and since he's the last one to visit, maybe he can close the deal. If Greenwood chooses AU, it would be a big deal because I think he was a Bama lean all the way. It would show that CTT is a lot better at recruiting than hooleo (or hula or whatever they call him). If he chooses bama, well...he's always had them at the top and he was their's to lose.

142156[/snapback]

If we can get Bobby Greenwood it would be a major recruiting coup. I say that because, traditionally, we have trouble getting players from Prattville (even kids that were AU fans). Bammar always seems to do well on kids from that school. We don't. Check out some of the past years and you will see what I mean. That said, I believe CTT is a great recruiter and he has a good shot at signing him.

As for Antone Smith. I really think we have a great chance with him too. If we didn't, I don't think we would've pulled our offer to Ali Sherrif.

Winning back Horton was very big. This guy will be a great one if he stays healthy.

And, Tray Blackmon will remind everyone of Takeo Spikes... just wait.

The talk down here in FLorida is that he is probably going to end up at UF....Meyer has talked him into the need for a H back in his offense....Like Newburg said, he likes Auburn a lot, but the distance will be the thing which keeps him from becoming a Tiger....He doesn't like Miami because of the big city....FSU has come on him late, taking the trip this weekend to appease some friends that have attended FSU, so they aren't in the picture....Deep down he wants to come, but the distance is going to be the difference in the end....

Hopefully he will go with his heart and head and be a TIGER.....but don't be upset if he ends up a Gainesville....

I think he visited UF last weekend...but do you guys think he's pretty much either Auburn or Miami bound?

It would make sense, IMO for him to go to AU because he could play early. He has to like the fact that RB and CW got 99 percent of the carries this year. Most of the time, when a big time RB graduates...there is still a guy behind him with a lot of carriers. But in this case, Antone would be ahead of the game at AU.

Im not saying I WANT him to come to AU :big:

Im just now able to pull for RB and CW! But he would be a huge pull for you guys for sure.

The Mobile Register says today that UF just got a RB from Texas

--GATORS LAND TEXAS RUNNER: Arlington, Texas, running back Kestahn Moore committed to Florida Wednesday, choosing the Gators over Oklahoma State. Moore, a 5-10, 199-pound tailback, rushed for 1,256 yards and 12 touchdowns on 132 carries last season.

Mobile Register

I don't know how this will impact Smith, but I can't imagine that this would make UF look good in his eyes. From what I've ben reading, UF has been making a push. I think it's 80/20, with him going to Miami though.

Glad you can root for Carnell. Now you know how we felt about Shaun Alexander.

Well Mikell Simpson visited UF but said he was no longer being considered at RB spot because of that verbal you just mentioned. He said the UF staff told him they werent taking any more.

And I actually have pulled for RB and CW for a while now...but i wasnt upset that they didnt run all over us in the Iron Bowl :)

Well Mikell Simpson visited UF but said he was no longer being considered at RB spot because of that verbal you just mentioned. He said the UF staff told him they werent taking any more.

And I actually have pulled for RB and CW for a while now...but i wasnt upset that they didnt run all over us in the Iron Bowl :)

142257[/snapback]

Tried to get that little jab in huh :poke:

...It's called being balanced on offense. Shula should look into it.

142257[/snapback]

While I'm sure that Antone would compete for playing time anywhere he goes, the cupboard is not bare at AU...i.e. Irons, Stewart, Smith, etc.... Love to have him...but I'm thinkin' he goes to Miami, but I'd love to see Tubs pull that one off.... :)

:au::homer:

The talk down here in FLorida is that he is probably going to end up at UF....Meyer has talked him into the need for a H back in his offense....Like Newburg said, he likes Auburn a lot, but the distance will  be the thing which keeps him from becoming a Tiger....He doesn't like Miami because of the big city....FSU has come on him late, taking the trip this weekend to appease some friends that have attended FSU, so they aren't in the picture....Deep down he wants to come, but the distance is going to be the difference in the end....

Hopefully he will go with his heart and head and be a TIGER.....but don't be upset if he ends up a Gainesville....

142184[/snapback]

Even with UF just landing that RB out of Texas? I don't see him going somewhere that just signed another RB...

Well, it's starting to look like last year and the year before......Willie Williams (UM) and Ernie Sims (FSU).........We'll hopefully be able to land Antone, but he'll probably end up at Miami.........The fact, or hearsay, that we pulled Ali's Scholly after Antone spoke with Coach Tubbs.......Couple that with the fact that UF got a Verbal from a Texas RB, I think we can pull 'em...........Sometimes I wish to be a fly on the wall, so I could give everyone the Inside Info..........Anywho, War "BY GOD" Eagle

Auburn is already loaded at the rb position. Tre Smith and Carl Stewart will make sure there is no drop off in production.

If we get AS, great. If not, we are still loaded @ Running Back University. :au:

In the end he'll go with his heart. AUBURN and runningback U! Florida has already signed 2 4 star RB's! Antone is CTT's GUY!

Tombigbee...... Let's don't get ahead of our selves now. The only player Ive ever seen more dominating than Caddy in HS was Saleem Rasheed. Of course all I've seen of AS is his rivals reels and I saw A Lot of Caddy when he was in HS. when caddy was in High School Etowah did'nt have a line AT ALL and they one a State Championship. They ran one play......... Pitch back to Carnell........and if Carnell got tired they pitched back to his cousin for a play. Caddy outran more good pursuit angles in HS than anyone I have ever seen. All this being said..... i played against Shades Valley when their LB corps was Saleem Rasheed, Mayo Sowell, and Pierre Brown, and Rasheed was a man among boys. AS is good, but he is no caddy, atleast not yet!

Saleem was pretty darn good........His older brother was 10 times better though, Dahwoo (sp?) Rasheed........He was one of the best backs to come outta this state.......To bad he went to Duke..........to play Football............as far as Linebackers go..........only one name comes to mind....Rod Rutledge, I was pulling on one play and he hit me like a Hummer would hit a Miata........I didn't play for 2 games after that One Hit...........

Actually Dawud Rasheed went to Duke because he wanted to be a doctor. He did well for them though playing football...and even bounced around the NFL for a couple of years. He started out with the Browns I think. That kid was a beast though. Saleem is still playing for the 49ers...so id have to say he one upped his brouther.

Archived