Spotlighting Ryan Davis in the Red Zone

StatTiger

Red Zone offense has been an ongoing issue for the Auburn offense since 2013, when the Tigers finished No.13 in red zone TD percentage. Since the 2013 season, Auburn has ranked No. 40 during 2014, No. 52 during 2015 and No. 117 through 6 games into the 2016 season. One of the reasons why Auburn has struggled inside the opponent's 20-yard line is the lack of pass plays called. Auburn is currently in the bottom 100 of the nation when it comes to the percentage of runs plays called inside the red zone. Opposing defenses are selling out to defend the run, knowing there is a low probability of Auburn throwing unless they have to.

The Play...

photo MSU - Ryan Davis TD_zpsigd6aai1.jpg

On this play Auburn faces a 3rd & goal situation at the MSU 3-yard line. Auburn comes out in a tight formation, which forces the Bulldogs to commit 9 defenders inside the box. Ryan Davis and Darius Slayton are lined up on the wide side of the field with Ryan Davis in the slot. MSU counters with man coverage on the two receivers. At the snap, Auburn will execute a "rub route" with Stevens walling of the defender responsible for covering Ryan Davis.

Darius Slayton will drive vertically into the end zone with Ryan Davis running a shallow corner route underneath Slayton. To avoid being called for a pick play or pass interference, Darius Slayton will look back towards Sean White, while raising his arm. The play is designed for Slayton to wall off the DB on Davis but he must appear he is running his own route on the play. Sean White half-rolls to the left after taking the snap, making the pass on the run. He delivers and accurate pass to Davis who collects the ball for an Auburn touchdown.

Last season Sean White completed 30.8 percent of his passes inside the red zone. This season he is up to 58.8 percent.

Stat, great article as always.  Lets hope that AU passes more in the Red Zone, more on first down, and more period!

One minor nitpick with the article...."At the snap, Auburn will execute a "rub route" with Stevens walling of the defender responsible for covering Ryan Davis."  Don't you mean Slayton vice Stevens?

Stevens has come in his own this season. I think he will become a much bigger force in our passing game. He is so much taller than most DBs and Safeties. Our throwing game is starting yield huge results. SW is becoming the type of QB that Gus feels can run his offense with success. In the past, I would have said to take SW and put in JFIII in that this would give our offense the weapons to make our run game deadly.

However, we have been able to have the best of both worlds the past 3 games with JFIII coming in to give us a chance to have big plays with his deadly speed. I hope the trend continues with us getting better throughout the season. We have a tough game next Saturday with the pigs. I do think that our defense will control the game much like TAMU did with the pigs.

Our defense is a good as any in the SEC with our offense being good enough to get the job done in conjunction with the defense. I am getting tired at the moment due to battling the flu for the past 4 days. I had the flu shot in September to no avail.