Kiffin to Florida Atlantic

BigSammyK

Lane Kiffin has reportedly taken the head coaching job at Florida Atlantic.

ESPN’s Brett McMurphy first reported the deal Monday. Kiffin was in talks with FAU on Friday, but those negotiations had slowed down over the weekend. The Alabama offensive coordinator was reportedly one of the Owls’ top two candidates, along with Michigan offensive coordinator Tim Drevno.

Kiffin will stay with the Crimson Tide through the College Football Playoff. Alabama plays Washington in the playoff semifinal at the Peach Bowl on Dec. 31

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/report-lane-kiffin-takes-head-coaching-job-fau

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess there's an appeal to being chief of a smaller tribe, but I personally don't understand giving up a major role at a powerhouse to go coach at the, what, 5th, 6th, 7th best program in a state?

Although I'm certainly glad he won't be calling plays for Bama anymore.

22 minutes ago, msza said:

I guess there's an appeal to being chief of a smaller tribe, but I personally don't understand giving up a major role at a powerhouse to go coach at the, what, 5th, 6th, 7th best program in a state?

Apparently he was leaving regardless. Just took the best out he could get. 

22 minutes ago, msza said:

How long ago was it that FAU and FIU were in competition for worst program in the nation? In the last 15 years, they've been to 2 bowl games and had 4 winning seasons. I guess, on the upside, it keeps his antics off the national radar since no one cares about FAU.

3 hours ago, msza said:

Milton's "Paridise Lost".  "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven".  Something is going on in Tuscaloosa these days, not sure what, but Kiffin is not a part of it.  

I hope Kiffin is more concerned about his new HC job and it takes away from his preparation for the playoffs. GO HUSKIES

I think this is a good move for him, probably one he should have taken years ago (meaning to a lesser school where he can build his HC abilities)  he'll do fine down there, seeing as they are a young team he can build up slowly. Plus he'll be exposed to a lot of talent down there to recruit.

58 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

We must really bring in Kendal Briles.

You're gonna be saying this in August aren't you?

I wonder who will be the next OC for the big red turds?

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I guess, on the upside, it keeps his antics off the national radar since no one cares about FAU.

You're kidding right?  You should probably take a break from posting.  Sheesh.

Court affidavits allege Carl Pelini used marijuana, cocaine

According to court documents, Carl Pelini used both marijuana and cocaine during the last year. (USATSI)

Sorry WDE but when was this ?.....5 years ago, 10 years ago...and who outside of Florida even paid attention to that news ?

And tells us something about FAU that the were willing to give LK his FOURTH try as a HC .....but reportedly got him for less than he is currently making at UAT.  

17 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

We must really bring in Kendal Briles.

Give it up. Not gonna happen. 

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry WDE but when was this ?.....5 years ago, 10 years ago...and who outside of Florida even paid attention to that news ?

And tells us something about FAU that the were willing to give LK his FOURTH try as a HC .....but reportedly got him for less than he is currently making at UAT.  

You talking to me? 

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You talking to me? 

OOPS..no sorry....some other guy who posts on here....POD maybe? :dunno:

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Continuity is a big asset to any coaching staff. Kiffin leaving UAT is good info as far as I'm concerned.

I thought the same thing when they got rid of Nussimeier (sp) and hire Kiffin.  I thought that when Kirby went to the dogs.  I hoped it would be the death kneel for their program.....now here they are 3 straight SEC Championships and 3 straight playoff berths later.   :puke: 

I thought it was interesting he said he was looking for a place that was committed to winning and one that used the word "we".

Sounds a little like a shot at Saban

46 minutes ago, keesler said:

I thought the same thing when they got rid of Nussimeier (sp) and hire Kiffin.  I thought that when Kirby went to the dogs.  I hoped it would be the death kneel for their program.....now here they are 3 straight SEC Championships and 3 straight playoff berths later.   :puke: 

Jimmies and Joes... when it's the next 5* up, it takes a MAJOR drop off in coaching to hurt a team.

Just now, Tiger said:

I thought it was interesting he said he was looking for a place that was committed to winning

That's VERY interesting considering that FAU hasn't sniffed a winning season in 6 years

Kiffin and his 3 years in T'town was an extended rehab stay. He needed to remold his image as a coach and check his ego at the door. Now, whether he matured to the point that he will be successful again as a HC is yet to be determined. In his presser, he talked about a "Process" much like Saban and he complimented Saban along the way for helping him.

Personally, I never thought he would last more than a year and 2 was a pipe dream. I thought of him as an idiot before and I've screamed about "running the damn ball Lane!" but he did add more spread and West Coast concepts to the BAMA offense. I hope he has matured and hope he is successful there at FAU. After 3 straight 3 win seasons, the bar isn't extremely high. He can win 6-8 games a year and he will get calls to go bigger.

Another rumor is that his wife is originally from that area and is living there now. Maybe his "Joey Freshwater" days are over and they can reconcile or at worst, he gets closer to his kids and be a bigger part in their lives.

Archived