Todd Grantham to Miss ST as DC.

GwillMac6

Guess Mississippi State has decided they need to play dirty on D now that they don't have Dak to carry the team. Hopefully he'll be just as much of a public a** as he was at Georgia and they'll have to send him back to Reform School U.

59 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Guess Mississippi State has decided they need to play dirty on D now that they don't have Dak to carry the team. Hopefully he'll be just as much of a public a** as he was at Georgia and they'll have to send him back to Reform School U.

I'm wondering how he and Dan will mesh?  That's two strong personalities with Todd acting like a horses ass.

This seems like a weird move to me. Take away State being in the SEC and what do you have left for reasons to make this move? Seems to me that UL would be a pretty sweet gig for a DC. You know the offense is going to be good with Petrino, assuming no NCAA shenanigans then you have to think Petrino is pretty safe there. UL was way better than Miss St. this past year. I wonder if there are rumblings in UL about Petrino after the cheating thing came out??

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

This seems like a weird move to me. Take away State being in the SEC and what do you have left for reasons to make this move? Seems to me that UL would be a pretty sweet gig for a DC. You know the offense is going to be good with Petrino, assuming no NCAA shenanigans then you have to think Petrino is pretty safe there. UL was way better than Miss St. this past year. I wonder if there are rumblings in UL about Petrino after the cheating thing came out??

Highly doubtful.

They hired Petrino twice with heavier baggage the second time around, they STILL hired him back.  UL received the NCAA's Notice of Allegations where Pitino was accused of failure to monitor his staff in the prostitute scandal on 10/20/16, they have to respond to the NCAA by 1/20/17 and Pitino was still walking the sidelines on the court last week.  It's evident that UL doesn't give a damn about moral or ethical conduce from their head coaches, they want to win at all cost.

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Odds are more likely that Petrino wanted Grantham gone because of his attitude/personality, and Mississippi State bought what Petrino was selling. 

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Odds are more likely that Petrino wanted Grantham gone because of his attitude/personality, and Mississippi State bought what Petrino was selling. 

Yeah i would not be surprised Petrino was "encouraging" Grantham to find another spot. Dude seems to wear out his welcome at places pretty quick 

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Yeah i would not be surprised Petrino was "encouraging" Grantham to find another spot. Dude seems to wear out his welcome at places pretty quick 

^^This^^ usually the HC will give the guy a few weeks notice to let him know he is going to be making changes.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

They were at odds from the get go, has everybody forgotten??  I'm pretty sure Grantham can't even stand himself.

* Bobby Petrino says he’s changed. But in reporting a story about the new Louisville coach that is in SI’s college football preview, it appears Petrino is still just as difficult to work and play for. Sources with ties to the Cardinals’ football program and Petrino said there’s significant friction between Petrino and feisty defensive coordinator Todd Grantham. The two have feuded often since Grantham’s hiring in January.  So much that one source insists Petrino would have already gotten rid of Grantham if not for his guaranteed five-year contract that pays him nearly $1 million annually. He came to Louisville after four seasons as Georgia’s defensive coordinator. “He’s stuck with him,” a source said.

Not sure why some think this is a bad hire. I think Mullen knows he has something special in his QB, Fitzgerald, and wants an aggressive D to match what will be an aggressive MSU offense. 

10 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Not sure why some think this is a bad hire. I think Mullen knows he has something special in his QB, Fitzgerald, and wants an aggressive D to match what will be an aggressive MSU offense. 

Because Grantham is a problem waiting to happen and MSU doesn't/can't look the other way like Louisville... not in the SEC.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Because Grantham is a problem waiting to happen and MSU doesn't/can't look the other way like Louisville... not in the SEC.

Perhaps, that's a gamble Mullen is willing to take.

It bears noting that the order of these hires is not what some would think....

Mississippi State defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon has agreed to become Louisville’s defensive coordinator, sources tell FootballScoop. The arrangement has been in the works for some time, sources told FootballScoop, but Louisville wanted to wait until current defensive coordinator Todd Grantham found new employment.

Just now, FoundationEagle said:

So it appears UL ran off Grantham to get Sirmon...Bobby P must have really hated that guy...

you didn't know? trades are now legal in college football!

13 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

So it appears UL ran off Grantham to get Sirmon...Bobby P must have really hated that guy...

Was probably mutual.

On 1/12/2017 at 0:29 AM, Never2Yield said:

We have typically performed pretty well against Grantham's D.  Granted, we tore up MSU's D last year as well.  I am fine with Grantham at MSU.  I wish Jeremy Pruitt would find a job out of the conference.  

wde

On 1/12/2017 at 11:43 PM, FoundationEagle said:

Certainly wouldn't have had anything to do with Petrino liking Sirmon's son and nephew more....I wonder if David Housel was involved?

Sirmon's son Jackson Sirmon,an outside linebacker from Brentwood Academy near Nashville, Tennessee, is rated four stars and the nation's No. 163 overall player in the 2018 class by 247Sports.com

Meanwhile, Sirmon's nephew Jacob Sirmon, a quarterback from Bothell High School near Seattle, is even more highly regarded. He's the No. 16 player overall in the 2018 class by ESPN.com. Perhaps in a prelude to his uncle's hiring, Jacob Sirmon received an offer from U of L on Dec. 28, tweeting he was "so honored" to get it.

Sounds like a trade ....with a player to be named later or something. 

Bet it is more than just a coincidence that those guys just swapped jobs....reckon it was orchestrated by the two HCs?

Archived