Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

48 minutes ago, AU04ever said:

I would think that Gus understands what is riding on the success of this hire. He'll probably want someone with some past success. I would at least.  

My uncle just about has me convinced it will be Tee Martin.

It's the play calling experience issue I can't get past.

WDE!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MadtownTiger said:

My uncle just about has me convinced it will be Tee Martin.

It's the play calling experience issue I can't get past.

WDE!

Why would Tee Martin leave USC...and even if he did, why would he come to Auburn over his alma mater Tennessee??  They are in the market for a new OC as well.

Just now, AEAugirl said:

Why would Tee Martin leave USC...and even if he did, why would he come to Auburn over his alma mater Tennessee??  They are in the market for a new OC as well.

Money.

And we're closer to the goal than UT.  Much better recent history as well.

WDE!

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Are you talking about the lawyer dude that has his face and phone number on billboards all across the state of Alabama?

Alex Shunnarah

Any chance he is kin to Greg Brown?

Image result for alex shunnarah

FYI, the Alabama Hammer, Mike Slocumb has a B.S. from Auburn

3 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Has Kyle Shannahans been mentioned yet?

If we keep it up eventually someone's going to be right.

Like the native American rain dance.....keep dancing until it rains.

WDE!

Tee Martin coached receivers before Helton promoted him to OC.  

He's a flashy name, but doesn't seem to fit what Gus is looking for...or what the team needs.  Honestly, he's really another Dameuyne Craig.  

1 minute ago, AEAugirl said:

Tee Martin coached receivers before Helton promoted him to OC.  

He's a flashy name, but doesn't seem to fit what Gus is looking for...or what the team needs.  Honestly, he's really another Dameuyne Craig.  

I'll relay your objections to my uncle.

WDE!

11 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

If we keep it up eventually someone's going to be right.

Like the native American rain dance.....keep dancing until it rains.

WDE!

If we really are throwing Kyle Shanahan's name into the ring then I want to re urge Peyton Manning again. Maybe Dan Marino can be our new QB coach.

3 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Has Kyle Shannahans been mentioned yet?

Are you serious? Why would he leave the NFL for college? Under consideration for NFL Head Coaching positions. May not get one this year, but if Falcons continue winning ...

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

Are you serious? Why would he leave the NFL for college? Under consideration for NFL Head Coaching positions. May not get one this year, but if Falcons continue winning ...

yah maybe as our HEAD coach one day haha

30 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Money is not an issue whatsoever. We will likely pay the new OC in the $800,000.00 range or more. Being the same state with bammer, we will pony up whatever is needed to hire a top tier OC. Look for a "wow" hire. Gus has to get it right for 2017. If he gives us a 9 or more wins regular season in 2017, he will be around for a while as long as he keeps winning. Must beat Uga in 2017. Bammer is another issue all of its own.

Doc,

not doubting you, but who would you consider a "wow" hire?  I agree it is important to Gus to get it right.  Seems like a lot of names mentioned throughout this thread have taken other jobs, so don't know if we missed on them or still working/waiting on who we want.  I don't know enough to call anyone a "wow" hire or a "we settled" hire, just like to hear your thoughts..

Since nobody has any concrete info I'm going to continue to chew bubblegum, pat my head, rub my tummy & click my heels while repeating "hire Sterling Gilbert" over and over until the sound waves reach the Plains.

We've got Alot riding on this and I think he answers Alotta questions.

What do you guys think?  Surely we announce a new OC before this weekend's Big Cat, right?  I know most of the remaining slots are for the defensive side of the ball but does it matter if we have new OC announced before BC weekend?

7 hours ago, aufan57 said:

No I'm not serious ?. A select few however would argue how he's a terrible fit and doesn't have the credentials .

The longer this goes on the more I expect it to be an earth shaking hire.  If he was just going to promote Hand or take one of the obvious candidates he would have already done it.  Something must be in the works for it to take this long.  

6 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

The longer this goes on the more I expect it to be an earth shaking hire.  If he was just going to promote Hand or take one of the obvious candidates he would have already done it.  Something must be in the works for it to take this long.  

While I would like an earth-shaking hire as much as the next guy, I have a difficult time believing that such a candidate wants to come here knowing Gus is a control freak that will always be looking over his shoulder.  

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

While I would like an earth-shaking hire as much as the next guy, I have a difficult time believing that such a candidate wants to come here knowing Gus is a control freak that will always be looking over his shoulder.  

Did you run this post by Gus before you hit "Submit Reply"?

39 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I think Malzahn is no longer in a position at this point in his time at AU to have total control. With the offensive problems with his current staffing, he is being guided as we all know from others who have reviewed the deficiencies he allowed to occur.

I am starting to think Rhett left on his own. I would hope we would have sent out feelers, and had a clue who might be interested, before we told our previous OC to take a walk. It doesn't look like we have done that.

Of course the other possibility, other than an earth shaking hire, is that the same old dumb-assery we have come to expect from our leadership is going on and they are just taking a long time to line up a dud.  

7 minutes ago, WarEagle10 said:

I am starting to think Rhett left on his own. I would hope we would have sent out feelers, and had a clue who might be interested, before we told our previous OC to take a walk. It doesn't look like we have done that.

no, I think it was mutual between Gus and Lashlee that he was going to look for another job to allow him to build his resume away from Gus. Whether it was a small college HC job or another OC job it all depended I think on openings. And I still feel the PTB was encouraging both of them it was in all of their interests the sooner the better....

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think Malzahn is no longer in a position at this point in his time at AU to have total control. With the offensive problems with his current staffing, he is being guided as we all know from others who have reviewed the deficiencies he allowed to occur.

I do not think Gus is looking for total control, but I also think it is probably safe to expect Gus' offense to continue.  Unless an earth-shaking hire is on Gus' page philosophically, I cannot see such a potential clash as worthwhile for either party.  Personally, I am hoping for at least a decent QB coach that can evolve the passing offense with fresh perspective and ideas.

Just now, FoundationEagle said:

So when do we announce the new QB coach and Hand to OC?

When Hilary Clinton becomes president 

Archived