Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

19 minutes ago, Joe706 said:

Why?

15 years and people evolve. Just a thought.

First, he has already been fired from Auburn before.  I am not a big fan of paying large sums of money to reacquire people you already had to dispense with previously.  Second, you consider paying 7 figure buyouts to obtain coordinators like Will Muschamp.  You do not throw out that kind of money for a resume that leads you to conclude:  "meh..."

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, selias said:

Should Noel Mazzone be the one hired as OC. Who would be at the top of the list for head coach for the 2018 season?

jumping the gun a little. A&M had a better offense than us last year in yards and and TDs (take out the arky game and we are way worse) in the same conference.. without our defense, we would have been much worse off.. 

why does cole want and like mazzone so bad? I am guessing he played for him in the early 2000's.

His resume isn't that bad and he has really evolved his Offense over the years. I do believe he could run Gus O with success and NM can at least Develop a QB. Not the guy I want but much better than Rhett imo.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

why does cole want and like mazzone so bad? I am guessing he played for him in the early 2000's.

Mazzone would be a great hire.  He's twice the coordinator he was when he was here before...it appears he's been able to simplify his system (which was way too complex for a young Campbell) and has adapted to modern trends.

Of course Cole likes him...he played for him.

5 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

jumping the gun a little. A&M had a better offense than us last year in yards and and TDs (take out the arky game and we are way worse) in the same conference.. without our defense, we would have been much worse off.. 

Not really.  We put up more points against the Mississippi teams (and managed to beat them too).  They looked better against LSU, but also much later in the season.  They fared no better than us against Alabama, while still having their starting QB.  In terms of what he had to work with when he started the job, Texas A&M was in better shape than we were at QB and WR.

Phillip Rivers was a very avg QB until NM worked with him and he blew up. Baker Mayfield was improved, he had Josh Rosen playing very well also. Plus he had Stidham coming to ATM over us untill Sumlin trumped him wanting Mond... This is still very possible a smoke screen anyway.

53 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

And page 100. Hope you are all happy with yourselves, now we don't get an OC. 

Well that's a better option than Mazzone...

2 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Phillip Rivers was a very avg QB until NM worked with him and he blew up. Baker Mayfield was improved, he had Josh Rosen playing very well also. Plus he had Stidham coming to ATM over us untill Sumlin trumped him wanting Mond... This is still very possible a smoke screen anyway.

When did Phillip Rivers play for NM? while at NC State he played for Norm Chow, unless i missed something. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

When did Phillip Rivers play for NM? while at NC State he played for Norm Chow, unless i missed something. :dunno:

NM was Rivers OC his senior year.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If you are a fan of Christmas songs then I guess so.

The 1st Noel wasn't my favorite, and I don't expect I am going to like the 2nd Noel any better.

9 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Baker Mayfield?

26 minutes ago, selias said:

Should Noel Mazzone be the one hired as OC. Who would be at the top of the list for head coach for the 2018 season?

Mazzone!   Lol!

I think NM would be a vast improvement over Rhett as far QB development. If Gus will truly let him call the plays it will be an interesting time at AU. NM from what I can remember liked to call plays that we do not currently run often, like passes to the TE and RB screens. He also never ran a hurry up - we would (gulp) huddle. Now he may have changed over the years but he was pretty conventional. 

Big question: Will we completely scrap the HUNH with a new OC (no matter who it is)?

5 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

53 TDs for A&M vs. 45 for AUB and over 6K yds in total offebse to our 5700

There QB was down for 2.5 games and they had a viable backup.  Ours was down for 3.5 and we didn't.  The stats are basically a wash.

Archived