Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, selias said:

Should Noel Mazzone be the one hired as OC. Who would be at the top of the list for head coach for the 2018 season?

Art Briles.

This is a classic Malzahn smokescreen. Give the media something to talk about while you are finalizing a deal with the real candidate. 

Malzahn is so tight lipped with his hires that I would not expect anything legitimate to be leaked unless a deal was in place. I'd bet my house that its anybody else but Mazzonne. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Did not watch much of TAM - did they go fast this year? Did he run a HUNH?

Honestly doesn't matter what he does. Gus wrote the book in he HUNH and he's not going to walk away from it.  The good news is that the philosophy can be applied to almost any offense.

Just now, auburnphan said:

sometimes things are leaked for a reason

Like if we were to leak that we're hiring Nall as OC so that when we hire Chip Lindsey everyone breathes a sigh of relief?

Has anyone here applied for the OC job yet? I mean with the level of expertise from some on what Gus should do with his offense .....there has to be at least one viable hire on the board somewhere.

Just now, CameronCrazy said:

This is a classic Malzahn smokescreen. Give the media something to talk about while you are finalizing a deal with the real candidate. 

Malzahn is so tight lipped with his hires that I would not expect anything legitimate to be leaked unless a deal was in place. I'd bet my house that its anybody else but Mazzonne. 

I'm leaning this way myself. It doesn't really add up and falls right into the "well he's an Auburn guy" trap that the media has fallen into over and over when predicting Malzahn hires, yet he gives them McGrifff, Steele, and Brown.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

There QB was down for 2.5 games and they had a viable backup.  Ours was down for 3.5 and we didn't.  The stats are basically a wash.

So basically 462 yards per game with their qb out for two and half games and crap defense.  Sounds pretty good to me. No prob with this hire. We need some9ne to develop our qbs. NM fits that description. I thinknow we'll be just fine with better qb play.

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Has anyone here applied for the OC job yet? I mean with the level of expertise from some on what Gus should do with his offense .....there has to be at least one viable hire on the board somewhere.

Nah...everyone here coaches D.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Don't have to be coach material to know something isn't working. 

1 minute ago, shabby said:

So basically 462 yards per game with their qb out for two and half games and crap defense.  Sounds pretty good to me. No prob with this hire. We need some9ne to develop our qbs. NM fits that description. I thinknow we'll be just fine with better qb play.

Basically same as us with our QB out a couple of games actually 3 if you count how little time SW played in Clemson game and only half of Vandy game. Both OC's had a problem when they lost their starting QB

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

Did you miss the part where we had 440 yards per game and barely moved the ball for 2 and a half games? 

2 minutes ago, AU-Allen said:

What's he playing this year... hockey?

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Like if we were to leak that we're hiring Nall as OC so that when we hire Chip Lindsey everyone breathes a sigh of relief?

If it were leaked that we were going to hire Nall every AU board would be a madhouse of EPIC proportions. hahaha

Does anyone have any current day negative things regarding Mazzone as an OC? 15 years ago he left a bad taste in my mouth but our entire roster was basically in diapers at that time.

I remember it was a universally hated thing that we hired Borges.

One thing is alarming though...I see lots of fans of our rivals hoping we hire Mazzone. Any time I see that I immediately think about how sad I was when Bama fired Shula.

1 hour ago, AU-Allen said:

Has the guy ever produced an offense inside the top 20 in his life? 20 will not cut it in this league period. 

Not an endorsement for CNM, just answering the question.

Inside the top 20?  No.  

However, the year after he was fired from Auburn his Oregon State team finish 20th in total offense.  In eight of eighteen seasons his teams finished in the top 30 for total offense, including six of the last seven.  

His poorest results came in Orgeron's first year at Ole Miss.  His 2004 offense at NC State was pretty bad, but the year before it was 13th (with QB Phillip Rivers).  His years under CTT were three of the five worst seasons in his career.

As an admittedly dubious comparison, his offense (excluding the three years he was at Auburn---and his first two years as an OC, 1995-96, which I could not find) has ranked higher than Auburn's offense eight out of thirteen years.

WDE!

18 minutes ago, AU-Allen said:

....aaaand where's Tebow now?

Archived