First Jr Day for the 2018 class (Jan. 29th)

ellitor

Link

What’s that? The Class of 2017 is almost complete? National Signing Day is only a few days away?

That means it’s officially recruiting season for the Class of 2018.

Just like that, all attention begins to turn to the nation’s best juniors. Auburn hosts one of its most popular recruiting weekends when some of the top 2018 prospects will flock to the Plains on Saturday for junior day. Below is a list of recruits that have confirmed their plans to attend the invite-only event. There are others who could attend — and potentially have been reported elsewhere — but these are just the ones SEC Country has confirmed directly with the student-athlete.

A few players have been listed as potential attendees by other outlets, but they’ve confirmed they won’t be able to attend for various reasons.

4-star 2019 linebacker Owen Pappoe has instead decided to attend Alabama this weekend, he said, but he has been a regular. Unranked 2019 tight end Ryland Goede has a family obligation that will prevent him from coming this time, but Goede attended an Auburn game on Sept. 24 and plans to return. Unranked 2019 offensive tackle Wanya Morris still hopes to attend, but has the SAT on Saturday morning.

3-star 2018 offensive tackle Christian Meadows won’t make it this weekend. Meadows is committed to Florida State, but he said he plans to make it to Auburn next month and over the summer.

The one name absent from the list that could worry Auburn faithful: Joey Gatewood. The 4-star 2018 quarterback commit is the prize of the class so far. He has been the topic of flip conversation because of recent offers and his relationship with former OC Rhett Lashlee. Gatewood is still all Auburn, he says. He won’t make it for junior day because his coach who takes him on visits is in his wrestling season at Bartram Trail, so visits around the country will have to wait.

For now, here’s a look at the prospects who will be there.

Attendees from Class of 2018

It’s somewhat pointless to look at team rankings at this point for the 2018 class. For some perspective, Brigham Young is a top-10 class right now. But Auburn is No. 13, which puts the Tigers in fine position moving forward with the upcoming class. There are three commitments in place right now — Gatewood, Shaun Shivers and JUCO Dequan Newkirk.

This weekend’s junior day will go a long way to setting the rest of the foundation.

4-star CB Jalyn Armour-Davis, St. Paul’s Episcopal (Mobile, Ala.)

Ranking: No. 3 in Alabama, No. 14 cornerback, No. 108 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot, 170 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Oklahoma and USC

4-star OT Christian Armstrong, Warner Robins (Ga.)

Ranking: No. 13 in Georgia, No. 13 offensive tackle, No. 138 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-5, 331 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Georgia, Florida State, Alabama and Tennessee

4-star SDE Jamarcus Chatman, Rome (Ga.)

Ranking: No. 23 in Georgia, No. 11 strong-side defensive end, No. 259 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-3, 261 pounds

Top offers: BYU, Colorado State, Wake Forest and Georgia State

4-star WR Jacob Copeland, Pine Forest (Pensacola, Fla.)

Auburn WR target Jacob Copeland (Zach Abolverdi/SEC Country)
Auburn WR target Jacob Copeland (Zach Abolverdi/SEC Country)

Ranking: No. 19 in Florida, No. 11 wide receiver, No. 79 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-1, 188 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Florida State, Florida, Miami, Clemson, Alabama and Georgia

3-star WDE Andres Fox, Mobile Christian (Ala.)

Ranking: No. 21 in Alabama, No. 27 weak-side defensive end, No. 675 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-5, 230 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Arizona, Mississippi State and Penn State

4-star WR Matthew Hill, Brookwood (Snellville, Ga.)

Ranking: No. 15 in Georgia, No. 28 wide receiver, No. 168 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-2, 175 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Ohio State and Miami

4-star TE Tyneil Hopper, Roswell (Ga.)

Ranking: No. 23 in Georgia, No. 12 tight end, No. 254 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-2, 217 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Alabama, North Carolina and Louisivlle

4-star WR Devonta Jason, Landry-Walker (New Orleans, La.)

Auburn target Devonta Jason (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)
Auburn target Devonta Jason (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)

Ranking: No. 3 in Louisiana, No. 14 wide receiver, No. 92 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-3, 187 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Florida, Florida State and Georgia

4-star OL Tank Jenkins, Park Crossing (Montgomery, Ala.)

Ranking: No. 5 in Alabama, No. 7 offensive guard, No. 148 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-3, 325 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Georgia, Arkansas, Cincinnati, Clemson and Florida State

Unranked RB Harold Joiner, Mountain Brook (Birmingham, Ala.)

Ranking: Unranked

Dimensions: 6-foot-3, 210 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, FAU, Ole Miss, UAB and Kentucky

4-star WR Lawrence Keys III, McDonogh 35 (New Orleans, La.)

Ranking: No. 7 in Louisiana, No. 40 wide receiver, No. 246 overall

Dimensions: 5-foot-11, 160 pounds

Top offers: Arizona State, Arkansas, Miami, Mississippi State and Nebraska

4-star RB Asa Martin, Austin (Decatur, Ala.)

Ranking: No. 7 in Alabama, No. 10 running back, No. 230 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot, 193 pounds

Top offers: Ole Miss, Baylor, Georgia, LSU and Wisconsin

3-star DT Coynis Miller, Jackson-Olin (Birmingham, Ala.)

Auburn target Coynis Miller (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)
Auburn target Coynis Miller (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Ranking: No. 16 in Alabama, No. 40 defensive tackle, No. 522 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-4, 270 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Alabama, Florida and Michigan

3-star RB Tae Provens, Madison Co. School (Gurley, Ala.)

Ranking: No. 17 in Alabama, No. 33 running back, No. 536 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot, 190 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Tennessee, Oklahoma State and USC

4-star WR Justyn Ross, Central (Phenix City, Ala.)

Ranking: No. 1 in Alabama, No. 6 wide receiver, No. 44 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-3, 185 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida State and Florida

3-star RB Shaun Shivers, Chaminade-Madonna Prep (Hollywood, Fla.)

Ranking: No. 52 in Florida, No. 5 all-purpose back, No. 323 overall

Dimensions: 5-foot-7, 160 pounds

Top offers (Auburn commit): West Virginia, Baylor, Georgia, LSU, Louisville, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin

3-star ATH Cam Taylor, Prattville (Ala.)

Ranking: No. 19 in Alabama, No. 57 athlete, No. 557 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot, 196 pounds

Top offers: Michigan, Cincinnati, Iowa State and Troy

Unranked ILB Channing Tindall, Spring Valley (Columbia, S.C.)

Auburn target Quay Walker (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)
Auburn target Quay Walker (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Dimensions: 6-foot-2, 206 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, South Carolina, Wake Forest, Colorado State and Appalachian State

4-star OLB Quay Walker, Crisp County (Cordele, Ga.)

Ranking: No. 25 in Georgia, No. 20 outside linebacker, No. 284 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-3, 215 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Florida State and Florida

4-star WR Seth Williams, Paul W. Bryant (Cottondale, Ala.)

Ranking: No. 4 in Alabama, No. 21 wide receiver, No. 143 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot-3, 202 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Florida State and Georgia

Attendees from Class of 2019

The Tigers have hardly begun concentration on the 2019 class, but it’s always nice to get a head start when possible. Auburn has zero commitments in among the sophomore group so far, but it’s almost that time for the first piece to fall into place for the rest of the class to build around it. Only 10 programs in the country have commitments in the 2019 class right now, so it’s not majorly urgent — though six of those schools are SEC rivals.

To knowledge, there will be three 2019 prospect in attendance who could be cornerstone candidates.

4-star WR Dominick Blaylock, Walton (Marietta, Ga.)

Auburn target Dominick Blaylock (Hale McGranahan/SEC Country)
Auburn target Dominick Blaylock (Hale McGranahan/SEC Country)

Ranking: No. 4 in Georgia, No. 3 wide receiver, No. 11 overall

Dimensions: 6-foot, 175 pounds

Top offers: Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Florida State and Georgia

Unranked SDE Steven Faucheux, Lakota West (West Chester, Ohio)

Dimensions: 6-foot-4, 248 pounds

Top offers: Cincinnati, Kentucky, Maryland and Tulane

Unranked OL Louis Paul Smith, D’Iberville (Biloxi, Miss.)

Dimensions: 6-foot-3, 280 pounds

Top offers: Southern Miss and Kentucky Christian

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

14 4*s. Not a bad 1st Jr Day.

any concern that Nathaniel Watson Auburn legacy went to bama today and not AU? Our track record on legacies lately is not great sans Big Marlon.

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

any concern that Nathaniel Watson Auburn legacy went to bama today and not AU? Our track record on legacies lately is not great sans Big Marlon.

I'm not worrying about any 2018 kid not named Justyn Ross, Joey Gatewood, DeQuan Newkirk, or Shaun Shivers right now. Too early for that ish.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm not worrying about any 2018 kid not named Justyn Ross, Joey Gatewood, DeQuan Newkirk, or Shaun Shivers right now. Too early for that ish.

I wouldnt worry if he wasnt a legacy. I want us to lock down the 2 legacies in this class.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I wouldnt worry if he wasnt a legacy. I want us to lock down the 2 legacies in this class.

If they are tops on the staff's board I agree. If not then I hope they get their top targets. Who's the other legacy?

Just now, ellitor said:

If they are tops on the staff's board I agree. If not then I hope they get their top targets. Who's the other legacy?

Harold Joiner. did ross make it in? have not seen anything about him yet.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Harold Joiner. did ross make it in? have not seen anything about him yet.

I don't know. Keith said they are in groups & he can miss some.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What's the legacy?

woops got them mixed up. thought he was the nephew of BO. WRONG! it is Shedrick Jackson.

Interviews

AUBURN, Ala. — While this is the final weekend before National Signing Day for the Class of 2017, Auburn football used it to get a head-start on recruiting for the crop that will sign next year.

Auburn hosted more than 20 recruits from the Class of 2018 on Saturday, its official Junior Day recruiting event on campus. Plenty of blue-chip targets headed to the Plains, along with some recruits looking to break out over the next few months.

SEC Country interviewed most of Auburn’s star-studded junior visitors Saturday afternoon. One key question stood out above the rest: What makes Auburn stand out early in their recruiting process?

Here’s what the Tigers’ top targets had to say following their visit to the Plains.

MORE: Who officially visited Auburn this weekend in the Class of 2017?

4-star WR Jacob Copeland, Pine Forest (Pensacola, Fla.)

“It’s always great talking with (Auburn wide receivers coach Kodi Burns). He speaks to me real, how everything would be if I were to come here … Auburn is definitely a school I’m looking at throughout the rest of it.”

4-star WR Devonta Jason, Landry-Walker (New Orleans)

“Really the coaches are the reason I came to Auburn. I had a great time meeting with them … Coach Kodi Burns wanted me to get on campus to get a feeling of it. It was great. I’m thankful for the opportunity to get to the state of Alabama. I didn’t expect the great players they have and the way they play true freshmen. I like that about them.”

4-star CB Jalyn Armour-Davis, St. Paul’s Episcopal (Mobile, Ala.)

“Auburn’s always been one of my top schools. They were the first school to offer me, so that plays a huge role. Every time I come here, it feels like a home. They preach family around here, and it stands out. That’s important. I feel comfortable every time I come here.”

4-star WR Seth Williams, Paul W. Bryant (Cottondale, Ala.)

“It’s just like a family down here. It’s got to be like home. It has to feel like home to me, and they’ve got a good educational program down here, too.”

4-star OT Tank Jenkins, Park Crossing (Montgomery, Ala.)

“Auburn, man, it’s just Auburn. It’s just a great school to go to. … (Auburn offensive line coach Herb Hand) is cool. He’s a real cool offensive line coach. The way he talks to you and the way he acts with you is just cool. He told me to keep grinding and not let everything get to my head.”

4-star WR Matthew Hill, Brookwood (Snellville, Ga.)

“This is just a great spot to be in. They’re about family here, no matter if you’re injured or not. They’re going to treat you like you’re their son. They’ll always be there for you. It’s a great coaching staff in general.”

4-star RB Asa Martin, Austin (Decatur, Ala.)

“It was nice meeting Coach (Chip) Lindsey and seeing the campus again. (Lindsey) just told me about the new offense. They’re really high on me. They just want to give it a little time and see after this current recruiting class gets done. … I want to come up to camp and show (Lindsey) what I’ve got.”

4-star WR Lawrence Keys III, McDonogh 35 (New Orleans)

“This was great. I got a chance to meet the coaches and visit the campus, look around more. I got a good time here. I was amazed about how my visit went. It was really wonderful.”

4-star OLB Georgia commit Adam Anderson, Rome (Ga.)

“Tim Horton has been texting me for a while to come check it out. I feel like it was a good chance to get out of the house and see how Auburn is … Auburn plays most of their freshmen. It’s not too big, not too small. It’s a good place to be around.”

4-star DE Jamarcus Chatman, Rome (Ga.)

3-star RB commit Shaun Shivers, Chaminade-Madonna Prep (Hollywood, Fla.)

“Now (after committing to Auburn), it’s like everybody knows you. It’s just like a family. Everybody is coming up to you, ‘Hey, Shaun, how you doing, Shaun?’ People I don’t even know, too. I felt like a VIP. I felt like I was famous. Everybody was all over me. … The atmosphere of the program and the campus and the coaching staff — a real good coaching staff — it’s all just good. I love it.”

3-star DT Coynis Miller, Jackson-Olin (Birmingham, Ala.)

“It was fun being back again with (Auburn defensive line coach Rodney Garner) … It’s like family.”

3-star DE Andres Fox, Mobile (Ala.) Christian

“I love the atmosphere here, and I love the coaches. … The atmosphere is important.”

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

I really enjoyed my visit with my bros @lil_gallmon @slab_27 and excited about @AuburnFootball‼️#WarEagle ??????????????

3-star RB Tae Provens, Madison County (Gurley, Ala.)

“It’s family. When you come down here, you’re going to love it. They’re going to be in it until the end … They’ve been looking at me since my freshman year, so since my freshman year, Coach (Tim) Horton has built the relationship and talking with Coach (Gus) Malzahn. It’s really a family relationship.”

3-star ATH Cam Taylor, Park Crossing (Montgomery, Ala.)

“The day was great. I like it a lot. The facilities, the people, the coaches, they really interacted with me a lot, which I like … My boy Tank (Jenkins), he told me he loved the place before. He asked me to visit with him, and I said I would. I see why he really likes the place … The people, the atmosphere, it’s live. That’s what I like to play in.”

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

I had an amazing visit today @ Auburn today best visit so far! #WDE ???

Unranked OT John Campbell, Dr. Phillips (Orlando, Fla.)

“It feels like home. It’s a nice, quiet town. When it comes to football, Auburn is the SEC. … This is just a great coaching staff. All the coaches, they’ll push me to get to my maximum potential. … (Auburn 2017 5-star commitment Calvin Ashley) told me that Auburn is family. It’s like home. The coaches are going to keep it 100 with you, keep it straight with you. It’s just a nice place to be.”

Unranked OLB Matthew Flint, Madison County (Gurley, Ala.)

“I like walking around here. I’ve seen most of it. I’ve been up here a lot. Today was just like getting back with the family, basically. It’s just like home out here. … I love (Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams). He’s a great guy. I love the way he played, and I love how he’s out there on the field with you. High energy. High motor. I like coaches like that, coaches that talk a lot.”

Unranked RB Harold Joiner, Mountain Brook (Birmingham, Ala.)

“They run a similar offense (to Mountain Brook). I just feel like I would fit well if I were to go here.”

Unranked DE Malik Langham, Lee (Huntsville, Ala.)

“It was a really good trip. They invited me, and I definitely felt like I had to come see it. I like the family atmosphere, and it’s just a good coaching staff.”

AUBURN | Wide receiver will be one of the biggest positions of need for Auburn in its 2018 recruiting class, and the Tigers got an early jump trying to fill the need.

Auburn on Saturday played host to approximately 35 juniors, and among the group was a star-studded collection of receivers, including two of the top 15 receivers in 2018 and four four-star recruits.

Here is what the recruits had to say about their day in Auburn.

Jacob Copeland

On his visit and meeting with Auburn WR coach Kodi Burns...

"It was great. It's always great talking to Coach Burns. He's a cool dude. We speak about the real, how everything is set up and how this program is set up."

On Chip Lindsey being Auburn's new OC...

"I talked to him and he told me that he likes to throw the ball, and he told me that I'm a main priority for him. When he came down to visit (Auburn QB commit) Joey Gatewood, he also came down and visited me. That let me know that he wants me."

On Auburn having Jarrett Stidham on campus and Gatewood committed...

"(Stidham) comes from Baylor and he already has put up points on Oklahoma and Texas and those teams. Me and Gatewood talk all the time. He tells me that I might as well join him."

Where Auburn stands with him...

"I'll definitely be back to Auburn in the spring. Auburn is up in the top (group). Right now the schools leading for me are Auburn, Clemson, Miami and Florida."

His relationship with Auburn WR coach Kodi Burns...

"We talk all the time. He always texts me and it means a lot. They are recruiting me hard and want me to come to their school."

The schools showing the most interest...

"Alabama, Florida State, Auburn and Florida."

On Chip Lindsey and Jarrett Stidham now at Auburn...

"It means they are going to throw the ball, and I could get downfield and make some catches. They've always had a good passing game; they just needed the right quarterback to fit their offense. They've always had a good running game. Now they have a good quarterback to make an impact in the passing game."

On what stands out about Auburn...

"They are like a family and that's important to me. It's got to feel like home for me. They also have a good education program, too."

Other schools he'll visit...

"Alabama, Florida State and probably Ole Miss."

On his visit...

"I had a wonderful visit. I saw the campus, talk to a lot of coaches and everything went well. I loved it."

On what stood out about Auburn...

"I loved the campus and I loved talking to Coach Lindsey. The football stadium is amazing. The locker room is amazing. The facilities overall are great."

His early leaders...

"I'll start narrowing my list next year. Right now, I'm just visiting schools. I'm looking for the place that fits me, a place my family can reach me and a place that feels like home."

His visit...

"It went great. I saw a few things I hadn't seen and I had a great meeting with Coach (Gus) Malzahn, Coach (Kodi) Burns and Coach T-Will (Travis Williams)."

On Kodi Burns...

"He's an alumni of Auburn and knows what is best, and he's a great coach."

What stands out about Auburn...

"They're about family. It's a great spot to be. They have a great coaching staff."

On Auburn's passing game under Chip Lindsey...

"They struggled at the quarterback spot and that was the downfall of Auburn for me, but now they have a new one, the five-star from Baylor (Jarrett Stidham), makes me think there is hope for Auburn in the future."

Schools recruiting him the hardest...

"Auburn, South Carolina and FSU."

His visit...

"It was great visiting Auburn and see how great of a program they have. I talked a lot to Coach Kodi Burns. He was telling me he wanted to get me on campus and it was great. I thank him for getting me here. I didn't expect the great players they have and how they play true freshmen. I like that about them."

If he'll return...

"I'll come back for another visit, whether it's unofficial or official. I think I like it. Auburn is a great place and I think it would be great if I choose Auburn."

Archived