AU interested in 2017 European Big Roberts Blumbergs

ellitor

Link

Last year, Omer Yurtseven and Lauri Markkanen both declined professional contracts and made the move from overseas to the college hardwood. Next year, Roberts Blumbergs is likely to do just the same.

A 6-foot-10 big man that originally hails from Latvia, Blumbergs impressed over the weekend playing with his GB Academy program at the National Prep School Invitational. Sporting a college-ready body and a pretty refined skillset from 20-feet and in, Blumbergs has already picked up major interest as Georgia Tech, Nevada, Grand Canyon, Creighton, Auburn and Seton Hall have begun to stand out.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Born and raised in Ventspils, Latvia -- which is about two hours outside of the capital city of Riga -- Blumbergs brought us up to speed on his recent past.

“I played in the under-16 championships then I went to Germany," he said. "It was a good experience. I was there for two and a half years and then I moved to the Czech Republic."

Two months ago, Blumbergs competed in the under-18 European Championships, where he impressed a number of scouts thanks to his production on the court.

“It was tough but it was a great experience with competing against some of the best teams. We had a good group,” Blumbergs said before then touching base on what makes him stand out. “I like to run ahead and crash the offensive glass. I can shoot the ball from out to the 3-point line in stretching the defense.”

WHAT'S NEXT?

Blumbergs still has a little while before he settles into his college recruitment as his coach, Julian Betko, a former collegiate star at Butler University, is currently taking care of things on that front.

Meanwhile, Blumbergs explained his decision to attend college instead of signing a professional contact in Europe.

“I just like how Americans play and the atmosphere. I want to experience something new,” Blumbergs said. “I will take visits probably in the spring. I just want to get the experience and get my game up. In Europe, it is a totally different game and I am just coming over here to experience everything.”

RIVALS' REACTION

Finding big men late in the 2017 recruiting cycle is a difficult task for even some of the most prominent of college basketball programs. Blumbergs is the type of prospect that can come across the waters, indoctrinate himself to the American style of ball and produce immediately. It would seem like things remain open in his recruitment, though the likes of Georgia Tech, Nevada, Grand Canyon, Creighton, Auburn and Seton Hall seem to have the best shot at landing the talented big man this spring.

Well, I hope its strong on our part.  I feel big men like Mikey feels about lb's,  Need them every class!  Cant have enough.  Thank God for a loophole and we Wiley for another year!

1 hour ago, AUtigerfan1027 said:

Wonder how strong the interest actually is from both Auburn and his side?

Article says he's 6'10" FWIW.

6'10"? Is everyone in that video at least 6'5"? He doesn't look that tall, but I like his game. He could probably fit into that stretch 4 Pearl likes. Doesn't look like a 5 to me. 

Those big Europeans usually have good fundamentals....ball handling, foul shooting and shooting from away from the basket.  A big guy who can hit from outside can be a great addition. looks like he has enough bulk to work inside too.   

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

6'10"? Is everyone in that video at least 6'5"? He doesn't look that tall, but I like his game. He could probably fit into that stretch 4 Pearl likes. Doesn't look like a 5 to me. 

The video was from a year ago. He said he's 6'9 & 1/2 in an interview the other day.

Highlights from the European U-18 championships from 2 months ago.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Article says he's 6'10" FWIW.

Yeah I read that. That's why I was wondering about how much interest he might actually have in us. I'm sure Bruce is on him, but was wondering how legit our shot at landing this guy was.

21 minutes ago, AUtigerfan1027 said:

Yeah I read that. That's why I was wondering about how much interest he might actually have in us. I'm sure Bruce is on him, but was wondering how legit our shot at landing this guy was.

Don't know or have more than what's in the article. AU Basketball recruiting coverage is sparse at times.

This would be a great pickup he has the skills to play multiple positions. He runs well, he blocks shots, rebounds, can shoot outside, is good around the basket, and can dribble very well especially for a big man. Big men are hard to find. I hope BP can convince him that Auburn would be a great place for him.  It would also be nice to start a trend of picking up some young European players I have seen some good ones on other college teams.

The big Russian from TCU really hurt us in that game a player like that with our talent would be awesome.

This is going to come off wrong but he looks almost as good and Purifoy. This is literally what I wish Purifoy could be. Purifoy has better athleticism and a higher ceiling than this dude but this guy seems to play better defense, block more shots, and maybe even shoots the outside shot better than DP. I'm not going to say I think he's better than Purifoy because I haven't seen enough of his tape but if he comes here I could see him pushing for power forward minutes

14 hours ago, au302 said:

This is going to come off wrong but he looks almost as good and Purifoy. This is literally what I wish Purifoy could be. Purifoy has better athleticism and a higher ceiling than this dude but this guy seems to play better defense, block more shots, and maybe even shoots the outside shot better than DP. I'm not going to say I think he's better than Purifoy because I haven't seen enough of his tape but if he comes here I could see him pushing for power forward minutes

IDK if it's just me but I think Purifoy's highlights would look more impressive against the same competition.

On 2/9/2017 at 7:34 PM, au302 said:

Well the fact Purifoy shouldn't even be playing power forward and this is his first year ever playing the position....move this guy to shooting guard and see what he looks like his first year

This guy and spencer splitting time at the 4 ... with the new recruit next year ... that'd be solid

or is this guy supposed to be a 5.  I'm afraid sec bugs would boss him around

i just can't figure where mclemore best fits.   Seems the 4 would be better but he is producing at 5 even though he is way undersized.

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

This guy and spencer splitting time at the 4 ... with the new recruit next year ... that'd be solid

or is this guy supposed to be a 5.  I'm afraid sec bugs would boss him around

i just can't figure where mclemore best fits.   Seems the 4 would be better but he is producing at 5 even though he is way undersized.

RB is a stretch 4 all the way & you answered where Mc fits best. He's an undersized 5.

On 2/11/2017 at 9:39 AM, cole256 said:

Well the fact Purifoy shouldn't even be playing power forward and this is his first year ever playing the position....move this guy to shooting guard and see what he looks like his first year

You think with the addition of Okeke and possibly another stretch 4 that Bruce will move Purifoy?

What is Okeke's skill set? Can he shoot from outside? Or is he more in the mold of McLemore? Desean Murray is essentially a big man in a SG's body, right?

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What is Okeke's skill set? Can he shoot from outside? Or is he more in the mold of McLemore? Desean Murray is essentially a big man in a SG's body, right?

Okeke is an old school 4. Very good medium range jumper, great rebounder, & runs the floor well.

Desean has a power forward's game in a small forward's body.

29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Like Ellitor says, he's kinda old school. Good inside game. Handles the ball well. Can shoot from three. Likes to go to the basket. From the highlights I've seen, it doesn't seem like he plays quite as tall as his height says. Maybe he knows he doesn't have to, but he doesn't seem to have the jump out of the gym skills, although that certainly isn't necessary. Kinda reminds me of McLemore's build with a solid offensive game. 

Okeke unless I'm thinking of another guy is a 3, at least defensively. He will be as important on the defensive end than anybody as far as on the perimeter. 

I don't see Murray being that good in the SEC but I could be completely wrong

9 hours ago, boomstick said:

You think with the addition of Okeke and possibly another stretch 4 that Bruce will move Purifoy?

I'm hoping so. I think we're a long defensive minded, great rebounding 4 away from being a very good defensive team

Archived