Offensive look?

corchjay

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Here's your umbrella... watch for lightning, that cloud looks dark.

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom. I'm just saying, the last couple of times the HC had to hire a new OC to rejuvenate the offense, it didn't really work out. I also think this hire is comparable to those at this point in the process. 

9 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom. I'm just saying, the last couple of times the HC had to hire a new OC to rejuvenate the offense, it didn't really work out. I also think this hire is comparable to those at this point in the process. 

I don't know how you can say that.  Lindsay is a quality OC who already knows Auburn and connects well with the staff, and his offense is a hybrid partially based off of Gus's scheme.  Franklin was a complete outsider who got along with no-one and caused waves from day 1. While he's got a solid offensive mind, he's a control freak who doesn't play well with others.  Loeffler was also a complete outsider who tried to cram a Gus recruited team into a pro-style offense that totally didn't fit their skill sets, and had no help from Chizik, who is strictly defense.... all while the PTB were meddling at full force.

The only similarity between this situation and the previous two situations is the position that was replaced.  The people have no similarities at all. This is far more like an Al Borges hire.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't know how you can say that.  Lindsay is a quality OC who already knows Auburn and connects well with the staff, and his offense is a hybrid partially based off of Gus's scheme.  Franklin was a complete outsider who got along with no-one and caused waves from day 1. While he's got a solid offensive mind, he's a control freak who doesn't play well with others.  Loeffler was also a complete outsider who tried to cram a Gus recruited team into a pro-style offense that totally didn't fit their skill sets, and had no help from Chizik, who is strictly defense.... all while the PTB were meddling at full force.

The only similarity between this situation and the previous two situations is the position that was replaced.  The people have no similarities at all. This is far more like an Al Borges hire.

Hoping you're right, but I'll hold off until there are some results. Lindsay definitely has talent to work with. 

On 2/26/2017 at 1:30 PM, DAG said:

If we pass on 1st downs , I will be impressed . That is how pedestrian our offense has been of late .

I agree.  I don't care if we pass more, just that we pass in less predictable situations.

I expect us to run more than we pass, but I also expect the passing to be much more effective, which will in turn, compliment the rushing.

On 2/26/2017 at 5:20 PM, Browning4AU said:

Personally, I think this year continues the trend of hired coordinators that end the head coach's tenure at AU. I've tried to be optimistic, but I think this hire is up there with Franklin and Loefler. JMHO. 

I think Franklin's hire would have been successful if Tubervile had been more cooperative because he was successful pretty much everywhere he worked. Loefler, on the other hand...

15 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I think Franklin's hire would have been successful if Tubervile had been more cooperative because he was successful pretty much everywhere he worked. Loefler, on the other hand...

It was a two way street. Tubbs wanted to keep his buddies on staff, which was a problem, but the way Franklin handled having to work with guys that weren't his personal choice was ridiculous. Had either made an effort to compromise, the problem would have never happened, but it was really on Franklin, because Tubbs was the boss, and when it comes down to it, you do what the boss tells you to. 

Tubbs was a great game day coach, and was pretty good with the players, but he has no freakin' clue how to properly run a championship football program. He'd rather hire people he wants to hang out with than hire people who are going to make his program excel. Thus why he never made waves in recruiting and never ran a program that could maintain continued success.

I feel like I recently read, from someone who would know, that Franklin had a full on meltdown at practice one day. 

he has no freakin' clue how to properly run a championship football program. He'd rather hire people he wants to hang out with than hire people who are going to make his program excel. Thus why he never made waves in recruiting and never ran a program that could maintain continued success.

This I disagree with. Those teams from '03-'06, maybe even '07, were dripping with talent. Sooooo many NFL players on those rosters. And Auburn had more wins from '04 through '06 than any other team in the country- including USC, Texas, LSU, UF... And, obviously, we were at worst the 2nd best team in the country in 2004. We were just screwed by some brand name-loving mediots that year. 

Tubs got tired. I'm sure the wolves that had been circling since 2003 helped with that. What he became isn't the whole story on his career.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I feel like I recently read, from someone who would know, that Franklin had a full on meltdown at practice one day. 

This I disagree with. Those teams from '03-'06, maybe even '07, were dripping with talent. Sooooo many NFL players on those rosters. And Auburn had more wins from '04 through '06 than any other team in the country- including USC, Texas, LSU, UF... And, obviously, we were at worst the 2nd best team in the country in 2004. We were just screwed by some brand name-loving mediots that year. 

Tubs got tired. I'm sure the wolves that had been circling since 2003 helped with that. What he became isn't the whole story on his career.

03-06 had some great talent, but we never competed in recruiting when Tubbs was the coach. We cracked the top 10 once, in 2007. Also most of the 5-star and a lot of the top 4-star talent he recruited either didn't qualify or was a bust. Tubbs was a solid on field coach who was really good at coaching them up. 

Our record from 04-06 just speaks to exactly what I said, Tubbs knows how to coach a football team.  He just doesn't know how to run a program.  Had he recruited at a higher level (which I think was a combination of assistants and lack of effort... he'd rather hunt/fish than be on the trail) and brought in a couple more talented assistants, I think we could have had a couple of national championships under his watch.

Oh... and remember that happening with Franklin.

Question. Under Chip Lindsey will the offense continue HUNH or will there be a huddle?  I know it will still be a spread offense.

8 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Question. Under Chip Lindsey will the offense continue HUNH or will there be a huddle?  I know it will still be a spread offense.

Based on practice footage, they have no intention of huddling.

Archived