Softball vs. South Carolina - game 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 6 complete, Auburn leads 2-0.   Crocker, Draper and Cooper coming up.  Let's add a few runs here.

Gipson slow roller to 1st, 1st baseman fields and tosses to the 2nd baseman covering the bag to get the out.  1 out.  Back to the top of the order.  Victoria Draper up.

Cooper grounds it toward 1st, back handed stop and 1st baseman steps on the bag.  Going to the bottom 7th, Auburn leads 2-0.

looped into foul territory to the first base side and Veach goes over and makes the catch.  2 outs.

ground ball to Cooper at 3rd, throw to Veach and that will do it.   Auburn wins 2-0.   Carlson with a complete game.   Game 2 tomorrow afternoon at 1.  WAR EAGLE!!!

the real test comes tomorrow when Carlson is not on the mound. Looking forward to seeing how swindle and abbott respond!!! WOOOO!!!! LETS GO! War Eagle ladies! great road win!

To reply to the earlier question, the 2-run lead felt shaky because it was less than 5.  Love those 5-run leads.  Great pitching and defense tonight.  Nice work by Draper and Cooper early to get the two runs.  Question:  About the 2d inning, a batter with two strikes tried to hold up, but the ball deflected off her bat and Wallace caught it (or I thought she did).  Why was that not an out?  (She struck out later)

I love the aggressive approach on the bases by Draper.  If she is going to get on and do that, we will put a lot of pressure on their defense.  I just hope Wallace production doesn't drop off  hitting lower. 

Very happy with that win.

As someone noted above , that two run lead just never felt comfortable . I think it was more about wondering how the most recent drama would affect everyone when the pressure was on. As it turned out , Carlson was outstanding and the rest of the team hung in there and beat a pretty fair South Carolina team that was in the midst of a little winning streak. 

Also wanted to add about Draper that she is looking better of late at slapping the ball for a hit. Good to see. That was something Tiffany was so good at last year. Gives her a little more room for the bunt. 

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Very happy with that win.

As someone noted above , that two run lead just never felt comfortable . I think it was more about wondering how the most recent drama would affect everyone when the pressure was on. As it turned out , Carlson was outstanding and the rest of the team hung in there and beat a pretty fair South Carolina team that was in the midst of a little winning streak. 

While they did beat florida state last weekend, they were 5-6 in their last 11 games (april 1) before the Auburn series started. Granted they had won 4 of their last 5 games but 2 of those were against Charleston Southern.

28 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

While they did beat florida state last weekend, they were 5-6 in their last 11 games (april 1) before the Auburn series started. Granted they had won 4 of their last 5 games but 2 of those were against Charleston Southern.

well I did say "little" winning streak...maybe anything over 2 in a row could be considered a streak?   

But...playing them at home and some recent wins under their belts....no point in taking them too lightly.  AU did  not look particularly sharp but got it done....and hoping things settle down a bit and the batters give our freshman pitcher some support....not sure that 2 runs will be enough today.

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

well I did say "little" winning streak...maybe anything over 2 in a row could be considered a streak?   

But...playing them at home and some recent wins under their belts....no point in taking them too lightly.  AU did  not look particularly sharp but got it done....and hoping things settle down a bit and the batters give our freshman pitcher some support....not sure that 2 runs will be enough today.

I totally agree. 2 runs will not win this game today. With Swindle, there is no expectations that based on her other appearances that she can give up less than 3 runs. But we seem to not do well with RISP. Seems that is what MEyers has preached on most of the year as a glaring problem.

SC has shown they can win a game a series (Bama, MSU..etc). IF we can pull this one out today, we will sweep, and it would be a great confidence to this team, based on all the off the field stuff they have dealt with....

Archived