Baseball vs Troy - game thread

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, guess E will have to break out his charts and re-calculate what AU needs to do the remaining SEC games to win that host spot.  

Well I guess that probably makes the hosting thing a long shot now ... we'd just about have to sweep our remaining schedule I'd assume.

should be a solid 2 seed somewhere which is mighty impressive.  These guys have represented auburn very well.  Will flirt with 40 wins this season!  Who would have thunk it!

15 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Well I guess that probably makes the hosting thing a long shot now ... we'd just about have to sweep our remaining schedule I'd assume.

should be a solid 2 seed somewhere which is mighty impressive.  These guys have represented auburn very well.  Will flirt with 40 wins this season!  Who would have thunk it!

Nah, if we go 3-3 against State and LSU and win the other two series, I still think we host. If we win our last four series, we definitely host. 

Last night was bad but I think what some posters are missing is that game pretty much sums up baseball. The majority of the time, Auburn should beat a team like Troy. Auburn is faster, has better pitching, and probably has a little better plate vision. Baseball however, since there are so many games, has a lot of room for error with stats. We probably beat troy 8 out of 10 times, and would almost undoubtedly beat them 10/10 if Keegan, Mize, or Davis Daniel pitched against them. Midweekers are tough because they're so unpredictable. You see bad teams beat really good teams all the time in the midweek, and it's just a regression to the mean. I don't think it's anything to freak out about from the perspective of a "bad loss" or anything. I think the committee realizes what factors into a season. Some games, you just don't have it, whatever IT is. Troy got a big hit on that 3 run blast and that turned out to be the difference in the game. I think last night can be chalked up, plain and simple to "just baseball." Pack it up, ship it to Starkville, sweep the dogs. 

9 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Last night was bad but I think what some posters are missing is that game pretty much sums up baseball. The majority of the time, Auburn should beat a team like Troy. Auburn is faster, has better pitching, and probably has a little better plate vision. Baseball however, since there are so many games, has a lot of room for error with stats. We probably beat troy 8 out of 10 times, and would almost undoubtedly beat them 10/10 if Keegan, Mize, or Davis Daniel pitched against them. Midweekers are tough because they're so unpredictable. You see bad teams beat really good teams all the time in the midweek, and it's just a regression to the mean. I don't think it's anything to freak out about from the perspective of a "bad loss" or anything. I think the committee realizes what factors into a season. Some games, you just don't have it, whatever IT is. Troy got a big hit on that 3 run blast and that turned out to be the difference in the game. I think last night can be chalked up, plain and simple to "just baseball." Pack it up, ship it to Starkville, sweep the dogs. 

I'm usually good with the argument that "that's baseball"....which is certainly true for MLB where all that matters is W-L and not necessarily who you lose to.  Does not hurt a first place team to let a bottom team sweep them in the W-L standings.....but in college, a good team just can't afford to let a vastly inferior team beat them...anytime.    It definitely matters who you lose to in college baseball ..and losing 5 games to teams with triple digit RPIs is harmful.

JMO but it ups the requirement for what AU must do in the remaining SEC games....maybe including the need for a sweep of bama...which is never an easy trick.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm usually good with the argument that "that's baseball"....which is certainly true for MLB where all that matters is W-L and not necessarily who you lose to.  Does not hurt a first place team to let a bottom team sweep them in the W-L standings.....but in college, a good team just can't afford to let a vastly inferior team beat them...anytime.    It definitely matters who you lose to in college baseball ..and losing 5 games to teams with triple digit RPIs is harmful.

You are learning my not so young Padawan. Proud I am.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but it ups the requirement for what AU must do in the remaining SEC games....maybe including the need for a sweep of bama...which is never an easy trick.

Given Bama's horrific RPI of 191 it was already a requirement to sweep them anyway to have a real shot at being a regional host. With a sweep our RPI will drop a few spots. Drop a game & it likely drops around 10 spots if not more.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You are learning my not so young Padawan. Proud I am.

Given Bama's horrific RPI of 191 it was already a requirement to sweep them anyway to have a real shot at being a regional host. With a sweep our RPI will drop a few spots. Drop a game & it likely drops around 10 spots if not more.

Didn't know they were that bad.....what happened over there?

Bama used to be a pretty good team as far back as i can recall?  But maybe that was way in the past.   I remember they fired their coach Wells?  several years ago...but that's not excuse for where they are now.    But it's baseball after all....and the only thing that matters is football.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Didn't know they were that bad.....what happened over there?

They have a 2nd new coach who is apparently flopping big time.

Just now, ellitor said:

They have a 2nd new coach who is apparently flopping big time.

You mean the geniuses who hired NS can't find a decent baseball coach?  ...and on their second try? Good for them.

I knew this was a trap game. Troy is no joke and has been consistently the best baseball program in the state the last 5 years. We are getting better but there is still alot of work to do. Need more consistent hitting and more pitching depth. We are very good and within the next few years we could be extremely dangerous.

1 hour ago, GordoAU said:

I knew this was a trap game. Troy is no joke and has been consistently the best baseball program in the state the last 5 years. We are getting better but there is still alot of work to do. Need more consistent hitting and more pitching depth. We are very good and within the next few years we could be extremely dangerous.

Like South Alabama and Samford and every other mid major Alabama school, they're a tough midweek game for us because they're always going to play with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. Like the kid who started from Smiths Station, he was fired up because he didn't get a look from us. If we faced them with our weekend rotation in a weekend series, I think we see quite different outcomes. They're a good team though.

Archived