Dye on SEC Divisions

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Why don't we just scratch the geographical arrangements, such as East/ West?  The teams all travel to each other anyways within the footprint.  I just don't see it making it much of a difference.  My thoughts are below with the permanent opponent across from each other. I think this keeps things balanced and most of the rivalries in tact.  While I will miss the LSU series every year, sacrifices have to be made unfortunately. The only toss-up for permament is ARK and AM.  I think you could switch those. 

Division A:                              Division B:
Auburn                                    Georgia
Alabama                                  LSU
Tennessee                              Florida
Kentucky                                 Texas AM
South Carolina                        Missouri
Ole Miss                                  Miss State
Vandy                                      Arkansas

I haven't picked through how you have everything aligned so i'm not necessarily agreeing with these divisions as is but i agree that blowing the thing up and starting over would be the best option. I'm also on board with just straight up moving AU to the EAST and moving Mizzou to the WEST. I could care less if we keep the bama rivalry game. The fun of that rivalry died with the oak trees IMO.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SEC puts a team in contention for a national championship every year.  Four different SEC teams have brought home the NC in the last dozen years, several programs with multiple NC's and a few Heisman's added to the mix.  

Now, why in the world would the SEC just blow the thing up and start over when this conference is in better financial and competitive shape than it's ever been?  

For those saying they wouldn't mind not playing Bama anymore, part of the allure of playing at AU or Bama is participating in the Iron Bowl. And I'm sure both schools make sure all the recruits know it.

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

For those saying they wouldn't mind not playing Bama anymore, part of the allure of playing at AU or Bama is participating in the Iron Bowl. And I'm sure both schools make sure all the recruits know it.

I'm not sure that allure is as strong on the national stage of recruiting as it is in local recruiting but it definitely plays in with the in-state and regional guys.

3 minutes ago, AU04ever said:

I'm not sure that sure is as strong on the national stage of recruiting as it is in local recruiting but it definitely plays in with the in-state and regional guys.

I actually think they try to make the point known more to the kids who are outside of Alabama. It helps when we are good though because it becomes a nationally relevant game at that point. The local/regional guys already hear about it all the time. I could be totally off-base though.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I actually think they try to make the point known more to the kids who are outside of Alabama. It helps when we are good though because it becomes a nationally relevant game at that point. The local/regional guys already hear about it all the time. I could be totally off-base though.

How many times have we read interviews w./kids saying (along the lines of) "They told me about it before I came here, but it's gotta be seen to understand?"

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm surprised this is the first time I'm hearing of this. Good idea.

I also think if we moved divisions in, say, 5 years when Bama's run is in the rear-view it wouldn't be viewed as we're running away. But right now it just has that feel to it.

LSU would have a laughable time with that division 

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

forgot to say my two cents worth. i am against it. why? i will be damned if i ever give the tide a chance to call auburn cowards and we know what kind of beating we will take on this if it ever happened. and i freely admit it probably would be a good idea except...........bama. in the past few years bama fans have tea bagged an lsu guy, poisoned an auburn fellows hamburger with rat poison because he refused to remove his auburn hat putting him in the hospital, and of course the poisoning of our trees. we might not beat the turds as much as i like but i will not run from them. ever.

how would we be cowards if we still played them every year?  Dye suggested the move along with going to a 9 game schedule.  2 permanent cross division rivals.  We would still play Bama and possibly pick up MSU.  Renew rivalries with Florida and Tennessee.  Bama gets to keep us and Tenn. 

The only trade off that makes logical sense would be for Auburn and Missouri to switch but the SEC whigs would never let that happen and Alabama would fight tooth and nail against it for obvious reasons .

9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

forgot to say my two cents worth. i am against it. why? i will be damned if i ever give the tide a chance to call auburn cowards and we know what kind of beating we will take on this if it ever happened. and i freely admit it probably would be a good idea except...........bama. in the past few years bama fans have tea bagged an lsu guy, poisoned an auburn fellows hamburger with rat poison because he refused to remove his auburn hat putting him in the hospital, and of course the poisoning of our trees. we might not beat the turds as much as i like but i will not run from them. ever.

tea bagged? Wow now THAT"S low

I would love to play Florida every year.  It's a shame that it's been 10 years since Auburn visited.  Soo many great games in that series over the past 30 years.  I'd definitely trade Florida, UT, and UGA for ATM, LSU, and Arkansas.  U.K., Vandy, and USC are interchangeable with the Mississippi schools

3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Well it's not like AU can just decide to move to the East. The easy thing to do is just leave it as is and I imagine that's what'll happen. 

Amen. The more we try to make things perfect, the more complicated things get. 

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

I haven't picked through how you have everything aligned so i'm not necessarily agreeing with these divisions as is but i agree that blowing the thing up and starting over would be the best option. I'm also on board with just straight up moving AU to the EAST and moving Mizzou to the WEST. I could care less if we keep the bama rivalry game. The fun of that rivalry died with the oak trees IMO.

My initial thought was trying to solve the argument Bama is using when Auburn moves to the East. They want to keep UT and AU.  After that, I tried to keep it balanced between the two divisions among the more prominent teams while keeping in mind some of the better rivalries. That's the only reason I moved Florida over despite wanting to play them more.  Not a whole lot of thought on a lunch break but some logic behind it. 

4 hours ago, keesler said:

The SEC puts a team in contention for a national championship every year.  Four different SEC teams have brought home the NC in the last dozen years, several programs with multiple NC's and a few Heisman's added to the mix.  

Now, why in the world would the SEC just blow the thing up and start over when this conference is in better financial and competitive shape than it's ever been?  

You think realigning the divisions would impact SEC teams getting to the NC game?

12 hours ago, gravejd said:

You think realigning the divisions would impact SEC teams getting to the NC game?

I think his point was, don't try to fix it if it is not broken.

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think his point was, don't try to fix it if it is not broken.

Yep...and probably a waste of brain cells even discussing this 'cause it's not likely to happen unless someone wants out of the SEC which is very unlikely.

With the Mississippi schools remembering how to play football, the only thing that REALLY needs to happen is to get Kentucky and Vandy out of the same division. The East and West each need a bottom feeder. Other than that, time should fix the imbalance as Florida and Tennessee find their way back and Missouri learns how to control their students instead of letting their students control them. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep...and probably a waste of brain cells even discussing this 'cause it's not likely to happen unless someone wants out of the SEC which is very unlikely.

You are dead on with that one AU64. No way it will happen. Though i wouldn't mind it one bit

Give Missouri its walking papers. The entire school is a trainwreck. 

Pick up a school that is geographically suited to playing in the East. 

If Dye says it, it needs some serious consideration.  Because of Dye, the Iron Bowl comes to Jordan Hare, and ended Bamas' stranglehold on the game.  He  established the Georgia, Florida recruiting strategy (which by the way if we recruit heavily from the Eastern territory doesn't it make since to play there?) since most children in our state are brainwashed Bama disciples by age 8.  Dye won a lot football games, we have had three coaches go undefeated since him, one win a NC and another play for one, but more than likely in 20 years, Dye will still be our most legendary coach.  He doesn't say things to hear himself talk.  He isn't always right, but most of the time, especially when it matters, he is.

3 hours ago, Lurking Tiger said:

Give Missouri its walking papers. The entire school is a trainwreck. 

Pick up a school that is geographically suited to playing in the East. 

West Virginia or Virginia Tech.  I would like to watch either of those schools build a rivalry with UT and UK

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^^^ Is there any truth to the rumor that the Mizzou game will move to Thursday?

:sleeping:

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

If Dye says it, it needs some serious consideration.  Because of Dye, the Iron Bowl comes to Jordan Hare, and ended Bamas' stranglehold on the game.  He  established the Georgia, Florida recruiting strategy (which by the way if we recruit heavily from the Eastern territory doesn't it make since to play there?) since most children in our state are brainwashed Bama disciples by age 8.  Dye won a lot football games, we have had three coaches go undefeated since him, one win a NC and another play for one, but more than likely in 20 years, Dye will still be our most legendary coach.  He doesn't say things to hear himself talk.  He isn't always right, but most of the time, especially when it matters, he is.

I know many people feel this way about Dye. I was in school when he was at AU and appreciate everything he's done for AU, but in 2017 I absolutely could not care less what he has to say. Other than Dye-hard AU fans - emphasis on the Dye-Hard - I don't think anyone else cares either.

It makes geographical sense. I don't give two hoots what any bammers would say. I have an Auburn diploma and the majority of them just have HS diplomas. What they say about Auburn doesn't hold any water. 

Archived