What is to old to learn Golf

Thing is I never played. Have three sons all twenty something. Brought them up in baseball and fishing. They still fish but they love the golf course now. From what I hear all pretty good with one being very good. As a matter of fact they mentioned that I may have pushed baseball on them when golf should have been the sport. Although one did play some baseball in college some of their best friends that opted golf over baseball got some decent scholarships to pretty decent schools. (MS. State and Georgia.) I read that 54 is the average age golfer and I am past that but still in pretty good shape. To old to try??

BTW, we were all in south Georgia for an event a few weekends back. They had a golf thing for Saturday morning and told me that I could not even ride the course with them and drink beer. Reason being I had a tee shirt on instead of a collared shirt. Only shirt I brought with a collar was for a Saturday night thing. Live and learn.

Never to old Salty............................. I have taught lessons to women and men who started playing at 55

I started when I was 12 yes I was lucky to start then. As long as you enjoy it and your sons help out why the hell not. As for collar shirts yes you will have to wear one 

edit.......I was actually better at baseball all state but golf was my passion and I became good enough to play at Auburn

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Never to old Salty............................. I have taught lessons to women and men who started playing at 55

I started when I was 12 yes I was lucky to start then. As long as you enjoy it and your sons help out why the hell not. As for collar shirts yes you will have to wear one 

edit.......I was actually better at baseball all state but golf was my passion and I became good enough to play at Auburn

Good stuff Golf. Think I will give it a swing. Have a son coming in Friday. Sounds like you are an athlete. Dated a girl in the mid 70's that played golf at Auburn. Driving through Arrowhead, Montgomery, late one summer night. She and a couple of her girl friends demanded stop. Ran through the trees then then returned laughing and giggling. When I asked what was going on they replied that at the end of the night they always peed in the cup on the 1st green. Their Dads and golf pals always teed off early A M 

• 1 month later...

I am teaching my 12 year old now. Find a good, patient teacher that specializes in beginners. I worked at the local cow pasture course in summers as a kid to play for free. I used to think my dad, grandpa, uncles taught me but at about 15-16 years old I consistently beat the hell out of all them. So I must consider myself self taught. I have friends who have been playing forever who shoot solid mid to high 70s who call me to play or meet at the range for swing advice sometimes. I don't have the best eye as far as a teacher but most of the time can ID a particular flaw for them to work on or at least give them something to make them think less and play by feel. I am less of a mechanics guy more of a "feel" player. ( all this may not make sense now but as you start playing it will). Anyway I tell you this because for me it's totally different helping a longtime player as opposed to teaching a beginner who been playing baseball for seven years. Work the range for a while before you take the course. And please wear a collared shirt. No jeans or denim shorts either. It may seem snooty but I swear I am the least snooty person you will meet but golf is a different game and etiquette is a big part of it. 

17 hours ago, alexava said:

I am teaching my 12 year old now. Find a good, patient teacher that specializes in beginners. I worked at the local cow pasture course in summers as a kid to play for free. I used to think my dad, grandpa, uncles taught me but at about 15-16 years old I consistently beat the hell out of all them. So I must consider myself self taught. I have friends who have been playing forever who shoot solid mid to high 70s who call me to play or meet at the range for swing advice sometimes. I don't have the best eye as far as a teacher but most of the time can ID a particular flaw for them to work on or at least give them something to make them think less and play by feel. I am less of a mechanics guy more of a "feel" player. ( all this may not make sense now but as you start playing it will). Anyway I tell you this because for me it's totally different helping a longtime player as opposed to teaching a beginner who been playing baseball for seven years. Work the range for a while before you take the course. And please wear a collared shirt. No jeans or denim shorts either. It may seem snooty but I swear I am the least snooty person you will meet but golf is a different game and etiquette is a big part of it. 

Nice post alex and totally agree

21 hours ago, alexava said:

"denim shorts either"  Alex, think you have a plumbing problem in your bathroom. Go fix it please.

Did ride a course with one of the sons the other day. Enjoyed watching. Had a few beers and a decent cheeseburger. Good stuff Alex.

Can't do much right now. Shoulder problem that is messing with my fishing. Been putting the obvious off  to long but the "fat lady has been singing lately".

I lost wifi last night. Had a long post punched up. But don't spend 1500$ on clubs. Club technology hasn't improved much in lastc10-15 years. You can find some good deals on Craigslist or local trading sites. A friend just bought a full set of callaways with an odyssey putter and bag for 125$. 6-7 years ago this s 2000$ new. 

On 6/6/2017 at 9:41 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Good stuff Golf. Think I will give it a swing. Have a son coming in Friday. Sounds like you are an athlete. Dated a girl in the mid 70's that played golf at Auburn. Driving through Arrowhead, Montgomery, late one summer night. She and a couple of her girl friends demanded stop. Ran through the trees then then returned laughing and giggling. When I asked what was going on they replied that at the end of the night they always peed in the cup on the 1st green. Their Dads and golf pals always teed off early A M 

Dude. I worked on that golf course one summer. Not until the late 90s, though, so hopefully they had new cups by then...

Always play by club rules. "You can improve your lie in the rough if you can roughly prove you're not Lying ".......

Archived