Vandy at Auburn

Auburn defensive end Jeff Holland celebrates after a win over Vanderbilt on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016 in Auburn, Ala.

Jeff Holland has always known what his role is.

Last season, playing as the primary reserve to Carl Lawson at buck, Holland knew his role was to keep pressure on the quarterback whenever Auburn’s star pass-rusher was off the field.

This season, with Lawson now turning heads with the NFL’s Cincinnati Bengals, Holland knows his role could be the one he backed up last season: Starter. And so far, he has embraced the increased expectations that come with the potential promotion.

“I think Jeff exemplified in spring practice that he is headed in that direction at a high rate,” defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said. “I think he came back to fall camp with a good summer work. You can see that. It shows up. I think he understands what the expectations and he knows how to get that done.”

Holland played well behind Lawson in his true sophomore season a year ago, totaling two sacks, three tackles for loss and seven quarterback hurries, the latter of which was good for third on the team.

This fall, he’s fighting for the right to replace Lawson as the team’s starter at buck in a competition that also includes Paul James III, Tre’ Threat and true freshman Big Cat Bryant. Given his experience — James played only three games last season due to injury and Threat is a converted linebacker — Holland might be the favorite to start Week 1.

Regardless of whether he wins the job or not, though, Holland has already taken a step forward. Steele said he “remade” his body during the winter, adding bulk to his 6-foot-2, 249-pound frame. He’s made a conscious effort to improve his run defense, which was an area of weakness for him early in his career.

“Jeff wasn’t as strong on run block last year. He was more of a pass rusher,” defensive end Marlon Davidson said. “Now, Jeff is physical on the run. He takes on (offensive lineman Braden Smith) every day. He’s got consistently better every day.”

And that’s just on the field. Off it, Holland has stepped forward as one of the group’s leaders.

“Jeff is really taking ownership of the buck position. He's like, ‘Hey, follow me. Get behind me.’ He's really, really setting the tone,” defensive line coach Rodney Garner said. “He wants to be the guy. He wants that role. We just need his play, his practice play that he’s had in camp — obviously, that needs to carry over to the game, to game day, so now that validates him even more into that role.”

Whether or not Holland will be able to match or even approach Lawson’s standout nine-sack, 24-hurry 2016 season remains to be seen. But it appears the junior is embracing the challenge.

“Jeff has progressed ever since he's gotten here, and there's never been a situation of ‘He can't do it.’ It was just Carl was here,” junior defensive tackle Dontavius Russell said. “So now it's his turn, and he's ready to step in and do what he needs to do to help the team.”