Should we ban hate speech? Nazis in the street and the “paradox of tolerance”

Auburn85

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

The racists were/are wrong in every era.

Well, isnt that convenient, and just like you to say. The Dems were by far far far away the worst offenders. 

I am not defending the Racists today at all. AT ALL. They are wrong. PERIOD. But lets be historically accurate and less hysterically predictable.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Well, isnt that convenient, and just like you to say. The Dems were by far far far away the worst offenders. 

I am not defending the Racists today at all. AT ALL. They are wrong. PERIOD. But lets be historically accurate and less hysterically predictable.

Historically accurate. Decades ago, racists felt comfortable in the Dem party. Starting in 1948, they got less comfortable. By 1964 they were jumping ship. Nowadays they are embraced by the Republicans. There's your timeline in a nutshell.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Historically accurate. Decades ago, racists felt comfortable in the Dem party. Starting in 1948, they got less comfortable. By 1964 they were jumping ship. Nowadays they are embraced by the Republicans. There's your timeline in a nutshell.

Do not agree with that at all. Like i said above, i know Dems that disagree with you on this.

The timeline is one thing, the actual damage done by people was far worse and it was done decades ago. By 1948 they were just getting cranked up! Some of the worst of the worst actually happened after 1948.

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Irony

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

By the way, the Democrats havent been this upset since the Republicans took away their slaves. 

KKK was the First Resistance! ;)

ssssshhhhhh i am trolling yall and you need to take this history lesson in good clean EDUCATIVE FUN....

As is true in American History, by far and away the worst Racial Atrocities lynchings, Cross burnings, whipping, shootings, were done by members of the Democrat Party over a period of 120 or so years. That is simply fact. We live in a state that ranks 49th in Education for the last 150 years largely because we were run into the ground by the ADP for decades. I am a member of the ARDC. A Reform Branch of the ADP trying to get the dead wood out of state politics. This state didnt just start to suck when the Republicans took over in the 1990s. The Democrats had their/our hands in it for 120 years previously.

The point is, that that has nothing to do with the modern Democratic party.   It's like saying the United States of America stands for genocide, because that was an aspect of it's development as a country, also historical fact.  

It's one thing to acknowledge history, but you seem to be trying to tie modern beliefs and values to a historical period that no longer exists.

That's tribalism taken to an extreme.

Modern Democrats did not have "their hands" in it for 120 years previously.  The Democrats today didn't exist then.  And the ones who did, left the Democratic party after Johnson pushed through civil rights legislation.

So it's fine to review history, but don't use it to characterize modern institutions.

40 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The point is, that that has nothing to do with the modern Democratic party.   It's like saying the United States of America stands for genocide, because that was an aspect of it's development as a country, also historical fact.  

It's one thing to acknowledge history, but you seem to be trying to tie modern beliefs and values to a historical period that no longer exists.

Modern Democrats did not have "their hands" in it for 120 years previously.  The Democrats today didn't exist then.  And the ones who did, left the Democratic party after Johnson pushed through civil rights legislation.

So it's fine to review history, but don't use it to characterize modern institutions.

Who is doing that? You read the message i sent out to you and tex and ben. History cannot be washed away. It is what it is and what we are living with today is a direct result of it. You cannot simply wave your hand and ignore 120-150 years of history. You, me, and our kids are paying for the decisions made made prior to our being here.The modern Democratic Party has a history it needs to deal with, especially when it is impacting today.  NOTHING exists in a vacuum. To be able to deal with issues today, you have to engage fully. 

58 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The most common thread for the greatest concentration of racists was region, not party. Racist Southern Dems became racist Southern Republicans.

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Who is doing that? You read the message i sent out to you and tex and ben. History cannot be washed away. It is what it is and what we are living with today is a direct result of it. You cannot simply wave your hand and ignore 120-150 years of history. You, me, and our kids are paying for the decisions made made prior to our being here.The modern Democratic Party has a history it needs to deal with, especially when it is impacting today.  NOTHING exists in a vacuum. To be able to deal with issues today, you have to engage fully. 

You are.

You are trying to saddle the modern Democratic party with their party's racist history.  There's no reason for the modern Democratic party to "deal with" that history.  They effectively "dealt with it" during the 60's.  That's history also.

And no one has suggested we "ignore" history.  What I am saying is that history does not define - much less characterize - the modern Democratic party.  That break was made during the 60's.

You are trying to saddle modern Democrats with a racist history that is not relevant to their current values.  

Archived