Chip calling games like this...

WarDamnEagleWDE

23 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

This plus I would like to see MW get a chance to throw at least once every 3 downs. He is not going to get the experience he needs just either handing the ball off or running. I believe the same thing hurt JF3 last year when he actually needed to contribute, he was not ready b/c he was not given enough chances to throw when he was in the blowout games.

He wasn't ready because he wasn't a QB.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

This plus I would like to see MW get a chance to throw at least once every 3 downs. He is not going to get the experience he needs just either handing the ball off or running. I believe the same thing hurt JF3 last year when he actually needed to contribute, he was not ready b/c he was not given enough chances to throw when he was in the blowout games.

I don't think getting to throw makes a hill of beans. 

Look at Jeremy Johnson. He got all kind of reps being a backup, throwing the ball when games were blow outs, and its didnt help him one bit when he became the starter.

So, MW will learn more just by interacting with the team on the field, running the plays, getting a feel for the plays called, and the atmosphere.

Dont worry about whether he gets to throw it or not. I certainly don't want to LOSE our only quality backup QB, to getting hit and getting injured, because an inexperienced OL blew an assignment.

51 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

When I read this, I thought about this game I saw one time where the team was up big and the coach kept throwing the ball.

I wonder where ol Curley Hallman is now?

56 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Dont worry about whether he gets to throw it or not. I certainly don't want to LOSE our only quality backup QB, to getting hit and getting injured, because an inexperienced OL blew an assignment.

I don't intend to keep butting heads with you, lol, but that argument doesn't hold water when Willis has been allowed to run the ball as much as he has. If Gus is trying to protect Willis physically, he's chosen an interesting strategy to accomplish that goal. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I don't disagree with that but he was being played as a qb, so he should have been getting prepared as a qb right?

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't intend to keep butting heads with you, lol, but that argument doesn't hold water when Willis has been allowed to run the ball as much as he has. If Gus is trying to protect Willis physically, he's chosen an interesting strategy to accomplish that goal. 

That's what I thought when I read it. Bottom line to me is there is no better experience than actual game experience. And if you are going to put MW in at qb, letting him throw a few times will do nothing but help him and AU if Stidham goes down.

You're all right. He doesn't need to throw now. We have Jeremy Johnson to set all our precedents. And besides- we won't need him down the stretch, even if JS breaks his right arm. Plus hey- there's always fall camp, you know? Where we develelop the boys, have them uhh, ready for opening day every year. Relax. CGM knows best how to do this. Besides, I practically never see backup qb on other teams given the reigns. They must have Jeremy Johnson tapes too.

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I Dont plan to butt heads with you either. You are one of the good ones on here. :) I like your comments.

But, this is how I look at it. A QB is much more vulnerable throwing, and is getting hit by DTs, DEs, and LBs. Willis when he runs is running mostly outside the tackle box, and farther, getting hit by CBs and Safeties for the most part.

Bottom line, I don't think it is going to make much difference if WIllis is throwing it much. I hate more that he burned his RS. If Stidham stays 2 years, he will be a JR before he has a legit shot at starting.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I Dont plan to butt heads with you either. You are one of the good ones on here. :) I like your comments.

But, this is how I look at it. A QB is much more vulnerable throwing, and is getting hit by DTs, DEs, and LBs. Willis when he runs is running mostly outside the tackle box, and farther, getting hit by CBs and Safeties for the most part.

Bottom line, I don't think it is going to make much difference if WIllis is throwing it much. I hate more that he burned his RS. If Stidham stays healthy 2 years, he will be a JR before he has a legit shot at starting.

Healthy is the key; that's the point. If he goes down, we need a qb who is battle tested to step in and run the whole offense. Not arguing, thought your points were very good, but you just missed that one.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Bottom line, I don't think it is going to make much difference if WIllis is throwing it much. I hate more that he burned his RS. If Stidham stays 2 years, he will be a JR before he has a legit shot at starting.

Likewise on the first part, and great points on the second.

I do think that we need for Willis to get as much experience this season as possible, whether it's running the ball or throwing the ball, and whether it's against garbage competition or against something more than that. But that's another thing that we could probably spend a lot of time talking about and not really gain any new ground on, so I'll shut up now and continue to respect your opinion. :cheers:

9 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Did you really just argue it is safer for a QB to run as opposed to stay in the pocket? Get out of here with that garbage. If MW wants to run, be a running back. Until then make the kid throw. 

12 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Did you really just argue it is safer for a QB to run as opposed to stay in the pocket? Get out of here with that garbage. If MW wants to run, be a running back. Until then make the kid throw. 

Ahhh. Ok. Garbage? Tell me why? Don't just leave it there..lol.

I'm going to steer this a different direction...

As far as play calling is concerned, we need Jarrett Stidham to start keeping some of the balls on the "read options". He had a few against Ole Miss that could of been huge runs. Make sure he slides but you have to keep the defense honest.

The only excuse I can think of him not keeping it would be the concern about him getting injured with MW being our backup. In big games he's going to have to keep a few of those and ACTUALLY BE ALLOWED TO READ THE DE AND NOT JUST HAVE A DESIGNATED HANDOFF. *Ahem* That has irritated me in recent years.

1 minute ago, War Knight said:

As far as play calling is concerned, we need Jarrett Stidham to start keeping some of the balls on the "read options". He had a few against Ole Miss that could of been huge runs. Make sure he slides but you have to keep the defense honest.

The only excuse I can think of him not keeping it would be the concern about him getting injured with MW being our backup. In big games he's going to have to keep a few of those and ACTUALLY BE ALLOWED TO READ THE DE AND NOT JUST HAVE A DESIGNATED HANDOFF. *Ahem* That has irritated me in recent years.

The bold is what makes it frustrating IMO. It's been a regular occurrence over years -- I wouldn't hold my breath on that changing.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

The bold is what makes it frustrating IMO. It's been a regular occurrence over years -- I wouldn't hold my breath on that changing.

The only thing that gives me faith that it might is that Gus for the first time is truly, to some degree, handing some of the reigns over on offense. He still has a hand on the wheel though.

Now I'm picturing an old school driver's education car with a wheel on both sides. Take the visual fwiw.

32 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Reoccurring theme. Gus don't trust. 

1 hour ago, War Knight said:

Also he has the option of getting as many yards as he can and sliding instead of getting hit.

JS is not a read-option QB....and no sense trying to make one out of him .  He is neither shifty nor fast afoot....got run down from behind by a DT the last game.   

Just keep him in the pocket or roll him out every now and then....and otherwise give the ball to KP and KJ or ES...or whoever else is in the backfield.

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JS is not a read-option QB....and no sense trying to make one out of him .  He is neither shifty nor fast afoot....got run down from behind by a DT the last game.   

Just keep him in the pocket or roll him out every now and then....and otherwise give the ball to KP and KJ or ES...or whoever else is in the backfield.

You don't have to be a read-option QB to run the read-option. He's plenty shifty and fast to run it every now and then. Most QBs are neither Nick Marshall nor Peyton Manning. There aren't just 2 big silos named Mobile and Immobile. 

Sean was plenty mobile to run the read-option on occasion and so is Stidham. 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You don't have to be a read-option QB to run the read-option. He's plenty shifty and fast to run it every now and then. Most QBs are neither Nick Marshall nor Peyton Manning. There aren't just 2 big silos named Mobile and Immobile. 

Sean was plenty mobile to run the read-option on occasion and so is Stidham. 

Also, as the announcers pointed out ad nauseam last week, there are more options to the read-option than just the QB running.  Now, thanks to the RPO, you can hand-off to the back, pass to the sweep guy or if CB comes up then hit the sideline route.  Bottom line is you don't have to have "mobile" QB to run read-option any more.

Progress is the name of the game for Auburn and we are making progress without a doubt. I think we are seeing a true blend of Gus-ball and Chip-ball. This is not a bad thing no matter how you spin it. Gus has impressed me enough to where I see less Gus this year on the offense since the day he stepped onto the loveliest village.

You have to have 3 ingredients to make gun powder.  I see us making some nice fire power (Gus+CHip+JS= some very nice offense). Lets enjoy the ride folks and sit back and watch it grow bigger, meaner, and much faster! (JS+KJ=BOOM!)

On 10/10/2017 at 10:43 AM, bigbird said:

Four college football seasons at four different schools have proved this. 

Archived