2018 Softball Signees Announced

Here's the link:  http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/110817aaa.html

Two girls from Alabama and a catcher from Spring, TX.  Seems a small class after last year's 8, but I don't know how that evens out over time.  Seems like we've been losing only about three players per year to graduation.  Anyway, welcome to Auburn, ladies!

Welcome ladies.  Two top players from Sweet Home Alabama and and a top notch defensive catcher from Texas.  Can't wait until they get to work with  Coach Glasco.  We were discussing trying to recruit Texas recently.  We didn't have to worry did we?

From what I can tell Nillen committed in 2014 and Moseley in 2015.  Godwin was listed also as a catcher in the article I read.  Nillen stated she was recruited as catcher but can also play corner infield positions.  Per Flo softball rankings this class ranked 11.  The ranking system favors teams with more signed players and they stated most teams signed 2 - 6 players.  Per their ranking, Tenn #2, Fla #3, LSU #8 and Bama #9 (tie).  Sounds like some good players at positions of need.  Welcome aboard.

In checking around, I found we had six commits last December, and were ranked #3.  Two of those girls went to Stanford and Arizona, and the third is Savana Sikes, who also committed in 2014.  According to her dad, they committed because of the Myers, whom he extolled as the best coaches in softball.   There was a post on this forum back then about her.  She had a game against Kelly Barnhill that year in which she went 3 for 4 with two homers.  She has played mostly shortstop, and is from Douglasville.   UGA has been making a push to get her since the Myers left.   Her older sister Sara played there.  I couldn't find out whether she actually signed with Georgia or not.

12 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Just read that Ms. Sikes has signed with UGA.

I could see how that would happen.  With the negative press related to Myers retirement, unknowns regarding a new staff and the fact that Auburn has a very good freshman player at her preferred position.  I would like to have Sikes but can see some logic in her choice to play close to home.  

22 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I could see how that would happen.  With the negative press related to Myers retirement, unknowns regarding a new staff and the fact that Auburn has a very good freshman player at her preferred position.  I would like to have Sikes but can see some logic in her choice to play close to home.  

We kind of knew she would end up at uga.  We wish her the best.  

It will be interesting to see How Coach Dean recruits. Meyers could get those really good players out of the west coast, and have such a high recruiting ranking because of it.

Dean, I don't know if he even has any west coast, southwest connections. Since he is base has been only around Virginia wonder how his nationwide recruiting will be?

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

It will be interesting to see How Coach Dean recruits. Meyers could get those really good players out of the west coast, and have such a high recruiting ranking because of it.

Dean, I don't know if he even has any west coast, southwest connections. Since he is base has been only around Virginia wonder how his nationwide recruiting will be?

He might not have much history recruiting out west at this time, but his recruiting budget is astronomical compared to where he came from.  I'm pretty sure he'll make some trips out west.  Plus, his reputation as a pitching coach will open a lot of doors.  We also have Coach Glasco with some Texas contacts and that will help as well.

• 3 months later...

Saw report in AL.COM yesterday that Aspyn Godwin tore her left ACL in a basketball game and to have surgery later this month. Not expected to  be able to resume  softball until September.  She is a 3 time all state catcher and was class 6A Hitter of the year in 2016.  Signed her NLI last November.  

Archived