Does AU poach any Ole Miss players following NCAA sanctions

aujeff11

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think he will go, but I'm surprised about the durability concerns after some of the hits he's taken this year and popped up unfazed. 

Missed a number of games his freshman after being named starter then off football for a whole year. Legit questions at the very least.

Here are the rules. Only players that will see their eligibility expire without opportunity to play postseason football. As a result, “free transfer” is available to rising seniors only. Guys like Deontay Anderson, for example, will need NCAA waiver, just like any other transfer. 

As for contact, any school can contact rising seniors. The senior transfer the. has to provide notice to Ole Miss that he intends to transfer. Ole Miss has to submit those names to the NCAA and SEC. At that time, the receiving school sends paperwork to the NCAA/SEC. If a school contacts a non-senior who has not been given a release, that’s an NCAA violation. 

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

Also, free transfer or not, AJ Brown is going down as an all-time Rebel. See his tweet below:

https://twitter.com/Brown1arthur/status/936643598749196294?s=17

I'm pleased to see that Mr. Brown is finding his college experience to be rewarding and fulfilling. Also, that's a really bad ass tweet. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

then off football for a whole year

That has nothing to do with durability. To this point in the year, I'd be say he's answered those durability questions as well. He was sacked 11 times verse Clemson and still ran for a tough touchdown verse Bama.

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

That has nothing to do with durability.

Didn't say it did but it is a concern I've heard.

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

To this point in the year, I'd be say he's answered those durability questions as well. He was sacked 11 times verse Clemson and still ran for a tough touchdown verse Bama.

Just passing on what NFL Scouts have told me at home games in the press box. As with anything else, you can take it or leave it.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Where did you see that?

I watched the Ole Miss press conference and their AD said this many times.  He also said that underclassmen were getting contacted by other schools and they were going to be reported.  These are NCAA violations.

OM is appealing the 2018 post season ban...if they win the appeal that may affect whether any of these players can transfer.  Not sure if that was already covered in the thread.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Also, free transfer or not, AJ Brown is going down as an all-time Rebel. See his tweet below:

https://twitter.com/Brown1arthur/status/936643598749196294?s=17

It will be interesting to see how these guys feel once the news has time to set in. If they still choose to stay, more power to them... but to me, a reaction this close to the news is kind of like a kid committing on his first visit. Fans hope it holds, but no one should bet money on it.

30 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It will be interesting to see how these guys feel once the news has time to set in. If they still choose to stay, more power to them... but to me, a reaction this close to the news is kind of like a kid committing on his first visit. Fans hope it holds, but no one should bet money on it.

Since he won't be a Senior next season, he'd have to sit out a year if he transferred, so might as well go ahead and commit yourself to Ole Miss. 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Since he won't be a Senior next season, he'd have to sit out a year if he transferred, so might as well go ahead and commit yourself to Ole Miss. 

Isn't he a Sophomore?

I think some of the talented underclassmen, once they talk to their parents, will decide it's worth sitting a year in order to play under a better coaching staff and in better circumstances. I think these sanctions are going to send Ole Miss into the gutter for a lot longer than a year or two. 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Isn't he a Sophomore?

I think some of the talented underclassmen, once they talk to their parents, will decide it's worth sitting a year in order to play under a better coaching staff and in better circumstances. I think these sanctions are going to send Ole Miss into the gutter for a lot longer than a year or two. 

I don't disagree with the part about Ole Miss going down the drain. But, it seems a lot easier for all the talented underclassmen to stay together for one or two more years than for each of them to go figure out something to do for a year, and find a completely new home, school, coach, teammates, etc. There is enough talent between Patterson, Metcalf, Brown and Little to still put up some half-way decent offensive numbers next year. 

That being said, its all dominoes. All it takes is one to leave, and they could all fall. 

According to ncaa rules, with the 2 year bowl ban now placed on Ole Miss, all players with 2 or more years of eligibility left will be able to transfer immediately without question.  Any seniors will have to get a waiver from the SEC first. 

1 minute ago, Tigerfinz said:

According to ncaa rules, with the 2 year bowl ban now placed on Ole Miss, all players with 2 or more years of eligibility left will be able to transfer immediately without question.  Any seniors will have to get a waiver from the SEC first. 

The first year of the bowl ban was this season. Only players whose eligibility runs at the end of 2018 may transfer without penalty.

Sorry if I was incorrect.  Chuck Oliver must have gotten it wrong a few minutes ago on the radio. He was talking about the 24 scholarships over 3 years and 2 year bowl ban. I just reported what he said.  Figures I was wrong...even partly...lol

1 minute ago, Tigerfinz said:

Sorry if I was incorrect.  Chuck Oliver must have gotten it wrong a few minutes ago on the radio. He was talking about the 24 scholarships over 3 years and 2 year bowl ban. I just reported what he said.  Figures I was wrong...even partly...lol

I think there has been a lot of confusion on this point, because the first year was self-imposed, and the second was handed down today. Since that totals 2, a lot of people (including myself) originally thought the same thing you and Chuck Oliver did. 

Scholarship reduction is wrong as well. They lost the self-imposed 13 scholarships. Nothing more.

In the end, it wasn't clearly worded, but the only additional penalties the University received were additional probation time and a second-year bowl ban. Everything else for the University was self-imposed.

Also, re: underclassmen, what better system is AJ Brown going to find? He led the SEC in receiving as a true freshman, and he's going to do so again next year, bowl ban or no. No one in this conference runs as wide open a passing game so he's not going to find a better system to display his talents. He and DK Metcalf are going to stay put. If Shea transfers (still an if), they still have Jordan Ta'amu back next year. That offense is going to look just as good next year as it did this year, maybe better.

55 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

Up Chuck is an idiot.......

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

In the end, it wasn't clearly worded.

Or clearly reported. That additional 13 scholarships was a game changer in my mind. 13 total is a much better situation. Glad to have that cleared up.

Archived