Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

You're correct.

l have no evidence that this Arky/contract stuff played any part in this team's performance last night.

Instead this was just yet one more example of a Gus led team crapping the bed in a big game.  They looked unmotivated, under prepared, and couldn't adjust at all in the face of adversity (or halftime even).

You win.

BTW,  I'm confident that you're not a gullible type, so please spare me the "wants" to be here baloney.  You know that's political speak code for "if they meet my incredible demands".  It's a far cry from "I WILL be here".  Keep in mind, he IS under contract and nobody has threatened to fire him.

Nope I recognize it's a business.....and coaches look out for their own best interests....at least the smart ones don't fall in love with their employer ....because the employer sure does not fall in love with them and contract or not, they will dump a coach  pretty quickly when the PTB pressures are ramped up.  .As for threats to be fired....who knows.? ....after the LSU game he seemed to be on a week to week contract as far as many people were concerned and that might have been enough.   

One thing that you can take to the bank.....Gus will be fired sooner or later....that's what happens to football coaches, even those with some good wins on their ledger......Dye,  Bowden, Tubs, Chiz......and Gus will be next.   Some AU folks might not value him but could be that his stock is as high as it will ever get in the outside world.....and next year he will probably be on a week to week contract again anyway so maybe let arky have him ? 

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

7.1 isnt overpaying its the running rate for coaches going forward

$7.1 million isn't over-payment for a coach with a 1-3 Bowl record (the one win came against a Memphis team after Fuente had already left) and an abysmal overall record against main rivals?

$7.1 mill is only the going rate for programs that are in the gutter.

13 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

7.1 isnt overpaying its the running rate for coaches going forward

I think $6M is the going rate, with a few exceptions: Fisher and Gundy.

Mullen got $6M at UF.

Frost got $5M at Nebraska.

Every time Auburn seems to regress, the comments always go back to, "It looks like Gus is calling the plays again." It seems like the prevailing attitude is that the players and coordinators are winning in spite of Gus, not because of Gus. Auburn will be fine great with or without Gus.

Lastly, if Gus leaves, I ask all who attend the Auburn-Arkansas game next year join me in a "SEVEN MILLION" chant as we're beating them by 40 points in the 4th quarter.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nope I recognize it's a business.....and coaches look out for their own best interests....at least the smart ones don't fall in love with their employer ....because the employer sure does not fall in love with them and contract or not, they will dump a coach  pretty quickly when the PTB pressures are ramped up.  .As for threats to be fired....who knows.? ....after the LSU game he seemed to be on a week to week contract as far as many people were concerned and that might have been enough.   

One thing that you can take to the bank.....Gus will be fired sooner or later....that's what happens to football coaches, even those with some good wins on their ledger......Dye,  Bowden, Tubs, Chiz......and Gus will be next.   Some AU folks might not value him but could be that his stock is as high as it will ever get in the outside world.....and next year he will probably be on a week to week contract again anyway so maybe let arky have him ? 

We finally agree!

We're gonna go through all this garbage, lock him in, and see him drop a couple of games again next year, or we're losing him to walmark at a time when our ath dept, and the coaching pool is at an all-time low.

We lose. 

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

$7.1 million isn't over-payment for a coach with a 1-3 Bowl record (the one win came against a Memphis team after Fuente had already left) and an abysmal overall record against main rivals?

$7.1 mill is only the going rate for programs that are in the gutter.

Hell, this season is the only season since 2013 that Gus has earned what he is currently getting paid.

wde

We are getting played here.  Gus Malzahn has as many haters in Arkansas as he does people who actually "badly want him".  He has burned bridges within that program; no way they have a ruling consensus on paying him that absurd a contract.

Just trolling here: Can we fire him for cause (playing a concussed carlton), let walmark retract and hire him for 3 mil? lol.

I just don't see how CGM fits into the "money is no object" conversation. 

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

Just trolling here: Can we fire him for cause (playing a concussed carlton), let walmark retract and hire him for 3 mil? lol.

I just don't see how CGM fits into the "money is no object" conversation. 

Totally off subject, but what is the story with C Davis? I saw his tweet about a concussion or something, but how was he playing at all? 

Hi all,

First time poster, second gen Auburn grad and hoping my daughter is #3. Emotionally this season was tough with the talent we have and yes we want to compete for championships but let me step back from those emotions and look at some cold facts. To say we were not drained by our biggest rivalry game in years is a bit short sighted. Georgia and bama were BOTH doing very well this year. Georgia played the mighty unranked GT the week before. This is very similar to many sports such as when Duke beat Wisconsin in the basketball natty game. Wisconson lost that because they took out #1 Kentucky a few days before. Emotional drain takes an enormous edge away when you are closely matched. Yes Gus is frustrating at times but guess what.....he is a good coach and I hope we give him some stability for him AND recruiting. 

Just now, AidiAU said:

Totally off subject, but what is the story with C Davis? I saw his tweet about a concussion or something, but how was he playing at all? 

I don't know. I brought it up to be tongue in cheek, don't ask me to be the one to roll with it, lol.

I just don't understand paying him $7 million/yr. I understand stability, but gosh, that's ludicrous. He's basically asking for a $3 million dollar raise/yr for 8 qtrs (UGA and turds) worth of work.  If we're gonna pay a coach $7 million per year, let's go get someone who actually deserves it. I just can't justify $7 million for Gus. 

13 minutes ago, metafour said:

We are getting played here.  Gus Malzahn has as many haters in Arkansas as he does people who actually "badly want him".  He has burned bridges within that program; no way they have a ruling consensus on paying him that absurd a contract.

Well, I hope our negotiators brought their big boy pants to the table...

Just now, DAG said:

Well, I hope our negotiators brought their big boy pants to the table...

Is Sexton his agent?

Shoot we could be Michigan paying Harbaugh something like $9M a year to lose to OSU four times in a row. ...or Rodriquez at Arizona 

Not saying pay Gus $7M.....but crazy as it seems, $6-7M looks to be the new "normal" for top rated schools.....or not so top-rated if you consider some guys getting near that now. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Shoot we could be Michigan paying Harbaugh something like $9M a year to lose to OSU four times in a row. ...or Rodriquez at Arizona 

Not saying pay Gus $7M.....but crazy as it seems, $6-7M looks to be the new "normal" for top rated schools.....or not so top-rated if you consider some guys getting near that now. 

Not that they weren’t well compensated for their time but I wonder what coaches like Dye and Stallings think about these ridiculous salaries now? College football is so different than when I first started watching it and maybe not for the better. As with most things in life money dictates so much of what happens. 

Just now, au701948 said:

Yes..he sure is.

Sounds like the good ole days of getting played by Sexton and Tuberville. I need to hire Sexton as my agent...

$7 million/yr is insane for a football coach. Wonder how many recruits we could get if we paid a coach say $2 million/yr and poured the other $5 million into truly helping people and changing communities. Wouldn't that be a fresh approach?

Hoping that the AU negotiators find a middle ground on the money and an extension. There is no way to win this one. If we go looking for “new” blood, we start from scratch, lose continuity and recruits.

Just now, doug3020 said:

Sounds like the good ole days of getting played by Sexton and Tuberville. I need to hire Sexton as my agent...

$7 million/yr is insane for a football coach. Wonder how many recruits we could get if we paid a coach say $2 million/yr and poured the other $5 million into truly helping people and changing communities. Wouldn't that be a fresh approach?

It's getting like the NBA now. Above average to good coaches is breaking the bank. Part of that is due to the coaching landscape.

Just now, DAG said:

It's getting like the NBA now. Above average to good coaches is breaking the bank. Part of that is due to the coaching landscape.

You're correct. 

Archived