Military parade

TexasTiger

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

This dude wants a parade like Putin and Rocketman. Who’s going?

E450B714-DEE5-41EC-B876-F607EC83F1DC.jpeg

When I think of Trump I think of class, victory, success, heritage, all of those things that make a body proud.  I think they should call it the Pride Parade.

25 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

Absurd 

Strange indeed....but apparently impressed because the French do it.....scary that Europeans are starting to influence him in this way. ...though I guess some might say the French parade better than they fight...:dunno:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-parade-plan-mocked_us_5a7a7366e4b0d0ef3c0a87e5

‘Dear Leader’ Trump Gets Brutally Mocked On Twitter Over Military Parade Plan

“If he wanted to take part in a military parade, maybe he shouldn’t have dodged the draft.”

:laugh:

Hhhmmm, I marched in 3 different parades...all on veterans day.    I remember calling cadence for our unit as we marched in one of them.. bands, tanks, vehicles, rocket launchers, flyovers....the whole enchilada.  As we marched thru one of the more quiet areas of one of the parades (1982 I think it was), families were pressed up against the parade route.   We were marking time waiting on the route as the parade was making a turn at an intersection.  One Dad was there in the front row with 2 boys behind the barracade...the boys were trying to get my attention by shouting at me since I was no more than 6 feet from them...the Dad told his sons that I was wouldn't talk to them....and then he told them "those guys are the Marines...they're the best"... it was a great feeling.   Gee,  who knew that I was participating in a totalitarian exercise.  You guys  need serious help.    

9 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Hhhmmm, I marched in 3 different parades...all on veterans day.    I remember calling cadence for our unit as we marched in one of them.. bands, tanks, vehicles, rocket launchers, flyovers....the whole enchilada.  As we marched thru one of the more quiet areas of one of the parades (1982 I think it was), families were pressed up against the parade route.   We were marking time waiting on the route as the parade was making a turn at an intersection.  One Dad was there in the front row with 2 boys behind the barracade...the boys were trying to get my attention by shouting at me since I was no more than 6 feet from them...the Dad told his sons that I was wouldn't talk to them....and then he told them "those guys are the Marines...they're the best"... it was a great feeling.   Gee,  who knew that I was participating in a totalitarian exercise.  You guys  need serious help.    

I'm not against the military participating in local parades.  But to have a national military parade paid for by the federal government, which by conservative estimates could cost upwards of $20M, is a huge waste of money.  Couldn't we put that money to use by fixing the VA issues?  It's a much better way to honor our military and works to actually solve issues.

Not to mention Trump partially campaigned on eliminating government waste.  This is the epitome of flushing money down the toilet.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not against the military participating in local parades.  But to have a national military parade paid for by the federal government, which by conservative estimates could cost upwards of $20M, is a huge waste of money.  Couldn't we put that money to use by fixing the VA issues?  It's a much better way to honor our military and works to actually solve issues.

Not to mention Trump partially campaigned on eliminating government waste.  This is the epitome of flushing money down the toilet.

Them damn libruls hate hour military and freedom. 

Meanwhile, aren’t there homeless vets that could use a little more help? The vets struggling with PTSD?

Here is a great point of view from someone in the military:

The military parade debate is just the latest example of Americans missing the forest for the trees.

Since news broke that President Trump wanted to throw a military parade, there’s been a lot of angry debate in social media regarding just how “American” such a parade truly is. From the Left, we see the same anti-Trump bloviation that has characterized the party since January, and from the Right, we see the same Savior-in-Chief support that remains unwilling to question the businessman turned president.

In many ways, it doesn’t matter what the topic is: the lines have already been drawn, and everyone has already chosen a team to play for.

Let’s start by breaking the unspoken rule of digital media, and acknowledging that this entire debate revolves around something that simply just isn’t a very big deal. Sure, evil tyrants have used military parades to help instill nationalistic pride in their regimes, but then, so have honest and just leaders. Sure, military parades aren’t a common facet of American patriotism, but I haven’t been around all that long and I have conscious memories of the last one. I’m fairly certain George H.W. Bush’s parade wasn’t a part of a secret-Nazi strategy to turn America into a haven for fascism, but if it was, he seems to be taking the failure in stride.

The fact of the matter is, a parade is just a parade. It’ll inconvenience traffic, it’ll make for some exciting photo opportunities, and it’ll give Lefties and Righties something to conduct hashtag warfare about, but ultimately, it’s still just a publicity stunt that’ll be over before you know it, and we’ll all move on to the next trending outrage.

The real issue I see with all the angry debate about a military parade in Washington D.C. has nothing to do with the cost of organizing the parade, or how it might affect the perception other nations have about our country… it’s that everyone seems to have passionate feelings about a damn parade, while the men and women actually tasked with defending our nation have been operating without a functional budget for months, and no one on the Right or Left seems the least bit concerned about that.

Continue reading here:  https://sofrep.com/99327/opinion-military-parade-debate-just-latest-example-americans-missing-forest-trees/

14 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Stop talking sense when there's a dumb idea by Trump to defend irrationally.

15 hours ago, japantiger said:

That's for dang sure. Some whine about the cost but never complain about the cost spent on security for other events or parades. I was there when we had a parade celebrating the victory in Desert Storm. A great event.

16 hours ago, japantiger said:

There were military parades also on Armed Forces Day (as a Boy Scout I marched in those).  The military also participated in local July 4th parades and if you lived in a military town, as I did, the local base would open to demonstrate maneuvers.  Tanks, troops and fireworks were all a part of the celebrations.  All designed to show thanks to our military and to create a greater comradery.  These parades were wide-spread throughout America.  Also, military air shows were far more common. 

It's interesting how little liberals today care for any association with the military and equate such with fascism or communism....like so many on this forum.  smh 

Libs have accomplished well their goal to diminish our military, not just abroad, but also at home.

17 hours ago, japantiger said:

sorry anyone with five deferments does not deserve a military parade. and as an old squid i will admit most marines are pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

There were military parades also on Armed Forces Day (as a Boy Scout I marched in those).  The military also participated in local July 4th parades and if you lived in a military town, as I did, the local base would open to demonstrate maneuvers.  Tanks, troops and fireworks were all a part of the celebrations.  All designed to show thanks to our military and to create a greater comradery.  These parades were wide-spread throughout America.  Also, military air shows were far more common. 

It's interesting how little liberals today care for any association with the military and equate such with fascism or communism....like so many on this forum.  smh

not true. as a matter of fact i joined the service during nam instead of being drafted. i gave four years of my life and i can assure you there were plenty of libs in the service that i met as well. making blankets about things just creates a greater divide in this country.

28 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

not true. as a matter of fact i joined the service during nam instead of being drafted. i gave four years of my life and i can assure you there were plenty of libs in the service that i met as well. making blankets about things just creates a greater divide in this country.

You missed a key word that I said aubiefifty, "today", as in "today's liberals".  I wasn't referencing libs from then.  But, to press your point, just how many of those libs enlisted as you did ?  VERY FEW.

1 minute ago, Elephant Tipper said:

You missed a key word that I said aubiefifty, "today", as in "today's liberals".  I wasn't referencing libs from then.  But, to press your point, just how many of those libs enlisted as you did ?  VERY FEW.

most of us back then did not see things in left or right. and most were also drafted and i am pretty sure all of us were scared tho we would not admit it back then. but even today i have a few friends that are libs who had kids serve. maybe if you had a link? but calling libs from a younger generation basically ******* is not fair. in fact most folks think folks that are brown or black are libs today right? tell m why so many folks of color and ethnic groups are enlisted serving right now?

31 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

most of us back then did not see things in left or right. and most were also drafted and i am pretty sure all of us were scared tho we would not admit it back then. but even today i have a few friends that are libs who had kids serve. maybe if you had a link? but calling libs from a younger generation basically ******* is not fair. in fact most folks think folks that are brown or black are libs today right? tell m why so many folks of color and ethnic groups are enlisted serving right now?

So how many conservatives spit on our veterans when they returned from Vietnam ?

It's marshmallow fluff dressed up as patriotism.  He knows it will appeal to a certain segment of nostalgic folks and anyone who thinks it's shallow and frivolous they'll just paint as hating America or unpatriotic.

Want to do something truly patriotic and that truly benefits and honors our troops?  Stop sending our men and women into violent conflicts we have no business sticking our noses in to be injured and killed.  Really fix the problems with the VA regardless of whose heads have to roll or what obsolete positions have to be cut or changed.  Stop screwing around with (i.e.  cutting) the veterans benefits these brave people earned through their service.  Stop attempting to deport undocumented immigrants who have had the selflessness to serve in our country's armed forces. 

A parade is a way to wave shiny things around and look patriotic without having to actually be patriotic.  Go for substance over style.

Archived