Military parade

TexasTiger

Expressing public gratitude to our troops is "marshmallow fluff" ?  Hmmm.  smh

Parts of your statement are actually being addressed by DJT, or didn't you know ?

At least your comment doesn't compare showing appreciation to our troops with fascism or communism as others on this forum.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Expressing public gratitude to our troops is "marshmallow fluff" ?  Hmmm.  smh

I think it is when there are ways that we are utterly failing the troops that we have refused to address.  I think when you do public fanfare like this while failing them, misusing them, and disrespecting them in numerous other ways, it is indeed "marshmallow fluff."  Window dressing.  A dog and pony show to distract from the fact than in the ways that matter, you aren't being patriotic or grateful for them at all.

Wait and do a parade after we've addressed the important stuff and show that the parade is more than just stagecraft.

53 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think it is when there are ways that we are utterly failing the troops that we have refused to address.  I think when you do public fanfare like this while failing them, misusing them, and disrespecting them in numerous other ways, it is indeed "marshmallow fluff."  Window dressing.  A dog and pony show to distract from the fact than in the ways that matter, you aren't being patriotic or grateful for them at all.

Wait and do a parade after we've addressed the important stuff and show that the parade is more than just stagecraft.

Trump doesn't care about all the details ... it's just fluff, it's just show ... it's just to feed his ego ... it always has been.  This is not surprising.

7 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

So how many conservatives spit on our veterans when they returned from Vietnam ?

Just must cling to the 'script' huh?   Cognitive dissonance, bad!

:laugh:

10 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Congratulations on dumb post #4,032.

No, more like congratulations on you missing the actual point, for what is undoubtedly, countless times.

4 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Trump doesn't care about all the details ... it's just fluff, it's just show ... it's just to feed his ego ... it always has been.  This is not surprising.

What do you expect from a reality show host?

To him, the parade was a great idea.  The predictable negative reaction and controversy is even better!!   All he cares about are the ratings.

Interesting topic. I spent quite a bit of time growing up in a military town.

I enjoyed the parades and the ones involving the military had their special times of the year like the 4th and so. These revolved around days set up for America.

I also grew up watching US politicians (Democrat and Republican) mock and use other countries "military only" parades like Russia, Korea, or dictators as demonstrations on why Communism was evil vs Democracy and to describe how power hungry, evil, and dangerous these men and countries were to the United States.

Funny to read that opposing "military might parades" is now being a communist or something when men like Reagan and Bush SR pushed that is exactly what those parades represented.

Crap move by Trump. Especially to do so shortly after giving such a crap bump to pay rates.

Trump 2018: 1.4% pay raise.

Bush 2004: 4.6%

Bush 2005: 3.5%

Bush 2006: 3.1%

Bush 2007: 3.4%

Bush 2008: 3.5%

Obama 2009: 3.9%

Obama 2010: 3.4%

Obama 2012: 1.6% (I know, barely)

Obama 2013: 1.7%

Obama 2017: 2.1%

And I'll still hear about how Trump is such a good president to our military. When a democrat beat out his pay raises 5 out of his 8 years.

19 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

You missed a key word that I said aubiefifty, "today", as in "today's liberals".  I wasn't referencing libs from then.  But, to press your point, just how many of those libs enlisted as you did ?  VERY FEW.

well tip I am not dead yet so i am one of todays libs. i do not agree with a lot of stuff the left comes up with as well as the right. and tip i will give you the point society looked on the military with disdain. after all the lies told to justify the war as well as killing women and children left a bad taste in their mouth. And i was as shocked as anyone. as far as most libs not joining instead of the draft i cannot prove much. I do know a lot of kids joined to be in the "buddy system".Many joined to be in the branch of service they wanted. a lot also joined because they wanted to pick their own mos instead of being a rifleman etc.AND one last point many libs as well as quite a few americans did join because after their service uncle sam paid for college for at least two years for all that served during nam. LAST POINT. you make a claim that many libs treated the troops bad during the tail end of the war.But here YOU are doing the same thing...bashing libs for something you accuse libs of. how special. you just have anger and maybe hate in your heart for folks you have demonized that you have never met or will never know. this bull of implying libs do not love their country or refuse to stand up for it is complete bull. and your boy trump had five deferments but that is perfectly ok right?

Not that it was a great idea...but no doubt the wrong guy made the suggestion....guess sooner or later DT will get the understanding that nothing he proposes is going to be well received by the major media or the dems.    Maybe DT will eventually learn that every thought he has is not worthy to be expressed verbally. 

As for Trump's deferments...the last Dem president to serve in the military was Jimmy Carter I think.....though I recall that candidate Mike Dukakis was a tank commander... briefly.:)

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Crap move by Trump. Especially to do so shortly after giving such a crap bump to pay rates.

Trump 2018: 1.4% pay raise.

Bush 2004: 4.6%

Bush 2005: 3.5%

Bush 2006: 3.1%

Bush 2007: 3.4%

Bush 2008: 3.5%

Obama 2009: 3.9%

Obama 2010: 3.4%

Obama 2012: 1.6% (I know, barely)

Obama 2013: 1.7%

Obama 2017: 2.1%

And I'll still hear about how Trump is such a good president to our military. When a democrat beat out his pay raises 5 out of his 8 years.

Good point that jives with what I was saying.  When it comes to appreciating and honoring our military - show, don't tell.  Better pay, fixing the VA, restoring lost veteran's benefits, keeping them out of unnecessary conflicts - that's showing.  A parade is telling.  It's an empty symbolic gesture when you aren't taking care of the real needs.  It's almost like those companies that give people a "promotion" in job title and responsibility but don't back it up with a raise or any other benefits.

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not that it was a great idea...but no doubt the wrong guy made the suggestion....guess sooner or later DT will get the understanding that nothing he proposes is going to be well received by the major media or the dems.    Maybe DT will eventually learn that every thought he has is not worthy to be expressed verbally. 

As for Trump's deferments...the last Dem president to serve in the military was Jimmy Carter I think.....though I recall that candidate Mike Dukakis was a tank commander... briefly.:)

Yeah, poor old Trump.  The major media and the dems oppose everything he thinks up.

Navy SEAL Who Killed Bin Laden Calls Trump’s Parade Plan ‘Third World Bulls**t’

“Stop this conversation.”

The former Navy SEAL who killed terrorist Osama bin Laden in a 2011 raid blasted President Donald Trump’s plans to hold a military parade. 

Robert O’Neill wrote Thursday on Twitter:  

A military parade is third world bull****. We prepare. We deter. We fight. Stop this conversation.

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Shug Jordan could come down from Heaven to suggest this and it would still be a stupid idea deserving of ridicule.  It has nothing to do with the fact that it was Trump's idea.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, poor old Trump.  The major media and the dems oppose everything he thinks up.

Navy SEAL Who Killed Bin Laden Calls Trump’s Parade Plan ‘Third World Bulls**t’

“Stop this conversation.”

The former Navy SEAL who killed terrorist Osama bin Laden in a 2011 raid blasted President Donald Trump’s plans to hold a military parade. 

Robert O’Neill wrote Thursday on Twitter:  

A military parade is third world bull****. We prepare. We deter. We fight. Stop this conversation.

Well, I guess there are a few outliers on the right :).....but notice he calls France a third world country.....so maybe he is not ready for the diplomatic service considering how much flack DT got for allegedly calling S***hole countries what they are......s***hole countries.  That representation was not well received....but then again, that status would apparently put them just one step below France perhaps..   :-\

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Well, I guess there are a few outliers on the right :).....but notice he calls France a third world country.....so maybe he is not ready for the diplomatic service considering how much flack DT got for allegedly calling S***hole countries what they are......s***hole countries.  That representation was not well received....but then again, that status would apparently put them just one step below France perhaps..   :-\

Not exactly. 

Don't be 'that guy'.  :no:  You are better.

28 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not exactly. 

Don't be 'that guy'.  :no:  You are better.

Lighten up...what a sour puss you are.....hoping you don't believe or take most of that BS  seriously...:dunno:  just muckrakers out taking muck for the gullible.

16 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

It was a dumb idea then too.

The point was to compare and contrast partisan media, politicians and people. Like previously stated, politics as usual. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

The point was to compare and contrast partisan media, politicians and people. Like previously stated, politics as usual. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

That doesn't transform this into a good idea.

My initial reaction to a military parade is that it is a silly show of force akin to something Rocketman would do. Has Trump said what he goal is? If the goal is to restore some national pride and maybe get more people to enlist into the armed forces then I could see how it could succeed, if it is done well. However, I am not sure that the U.S. is struggling to get new recruits.

19 minutes ago, Grumps said:

My initial reaction to a military parade is that it is a silly show of force akin to something Rocketman would do. Has Trump said what he goal is? If the goal is to restore some national pride and maybe get more people to enlist into the armed forces then I could see how it could succeed, if it is done well. However, I am not sure that the U.S. is struggling to get new recruits.

Putting the $17 mil toward veterans health issues might do more to sell the military.

I am ALL for supporting veterans' health issues, but I don't think that many people really care about the issue, so I disagree that putting the money there will sell the military to anyone.

Archived