Military parade

TexasTiger

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I am ALL for supporting veterans' health issues, but I don't think that many people really care about the issue, so I disagree that putting the money there will sell the military to anyone.

It will at least address a real need. A parade won’t and won’t sell the military to hardly anyone they need to serve.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/7/2018 at 4:13 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Campaigns about government wasting money, then proposes stupid idea that.............wastes money.

People like you are going to ruin some good stuff Brad. be hollering about flyovers before long.I like them

https://www.thoughtco.com/cost-super-bowl-flyovers-for-taxpayers-3368334

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

People like you are going to ruin some good stuff Brad. be hollering about flyovers before long.I like them

https://www.thoughtco.com/cost-super-bowl-flyovers-for-taxpayers-3368334

Yeah, fly overs are cool.  But they are also a waste of cash.  That Super Bowl example is just one game.  Extrapolate that over hundreds of games each year and it gets pricey.

And if ruining "good stuff" means putting that money into veteran's health care, then I'm happy to lead that charge.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah, fly overs are cool.  But they are also a waste of cash.  That Super Bowl example is just one game.  Extrapolate that over hundreds of games each year and it gets pricey.

And if ruining "good stuff" means putting that money into veteran's health care, then I'm happy to lead that charge.

Brad the dumb a$$e$ that put them on think it is a great military recruiting tool. talk to them. suppose you refuse to walk in JHS if a flyover is scheduled

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Brad the dumb a$$e$ that put them on think it is a great military recruiting tool. talk to them. suppose you refuse to walk in JHS if a flyover is scheduled

Support a parade tax to pay for it or just cancel a weapons system?

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yeah, not sure I've ever heard a single military member say "I wanted to serve because I saw a fly over."  And yeah, I still go to JHS.  Auburn wastes money too, but I still support the school, much like I still support the military despite some obvious wasteful spending.  Why?  Because the positives outweigh the negatives.  Doesn't mean that waste can't be called out though.

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah, not sure I've ever heard a single military member say "I wanted to serve because I saw a fly over."  And yeah, I still go to JHS.  Auburn wastes money too, but I still support the school, much like I still support the military despite some obvious wasteful spending.  Why?  Because the positives outweigh the negatives.  Doesn't mean that waste can't be called out though.

Brad I  feel that a military parade is a useless and odd idea. Our "military might" is on display for anyone who cares to visit one of our bases. No need to visit scheduled events either. Visit Benning any day and it is obvious. Regarding flyovers, no problem as they can be incorporated as "training". Living along Panama City and "Forgotten Coast" the site is a daily and numerous occurrence from Tyndall. BTW Tyndall puts on one hell of and air show for the public yearly.  

On 2/9/2018 at 6:40 AM, Mims44 said:

Crap move by Trump. Especially to do so shortly after giving such a crap bump to pay rates.

Trump 2018: 1.4% pay raise.

Bush 2004: 4.6%

Bush 2005: 3.5%

Bush 2006: 3.1%

Bush 2007: 3.4%

Bush 2008: 3.5%

Obama 2009: 3.9%

Obama 2010: 3.4%

Obama 2012: 1.6% (I know, barely)

Obama 2013: 1.7%

Obama 2017: 2.1%

And I'll still hear about how Trump is such a good president to our military. When a democrat beat out his pay raises 5 out of his 8 years.

That was the sequester pay raise...in the new Defense Authorization act the pay raise is 2.4%....faster than the inflation rate.

On 2/9/2018 at 6:40 AM, Mims44 said:

Crap move by Trump. Especially to do so shortly after giving such a crap bump to pay rates.

Trump 2018: 1.4% pay raise.

Bush 2004: 4.6%

Bush 2005: 3.5%

Bush 2006: 3.1%

Bush 2007: 3.4%

Bush 2008: 3.5%

Obama 2009: 3.9%

Obama 2010: 3.4%

Obama 2012: 1.6% (I know, barely)

Obama 2013: 1.7%

Obama 2017: 2.1%

And I'll still hear about how Trump is such a good president to our military. When a democrat beat out his pay raises 5 out of his 8 years.

I guess you and others don't realize that the pay increase, like that civil service employees, is tied to the cost of living increase so your stats actually betray the picture. If Trump had given a 5% raise for 2018 it would indicated the  cost of living had made a pretty big jump. Generally the way the military or civil servants get significant raises is by promotion. How many promotions occurred during the terms of the POTUSs your list?

On 2/11/2018 at 4:22 PM, Proud Tiger said:

I guess you and others don't realize that the pay increase, like that civil service employees, is tied to the cost of living increase so your stats actually betray the picture. If Trump had given a 5% raise for 2018 it would indicated the  cost of living had made a pretty big jump. Generally the way the military or civil servants get significant raises is by promotion. How many promotions occurred during the terms of the POTUSs your list?

No idea how you can find those numbers, but I would guess Bush's large pay increase being coupled with 2 wars starting and a swelling of military forces that there were a ton more promotions then vs today.

Also, you know those percentages are base pay right? BAH/COLA/etc is separate from base pay and those are what would rise or fall to reflect cost of living changes.

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

No idea how you can find those numbers, but I would guess Bush's large pay increase being coupled with 2 wars starting and a swelling of military forces that there were a ton more promotions then vs today.

Also, you know those percentages are base pay right? BAH/COLA/etc is separate from base pay and those are what would rise or fall to reflect cost of living changes.

Hard to tell but I don't think the percentages you show paint the total story by POTUS.

• 6 months later...

Let's see.... a military parade would cost an estimated $90 million dollars but the US could would only save $14 Million by cancelling the military war games exercise in South Korea....one that involved ships, planes and soldiers from around the Pacific area.   Both numbers apparently from the pentagon and JMO but when the Pentagon wants or does not want to do something it can work up the numbers to make things go its way.     Does anyone believe either one of these estimates?   .  

Not in favor of the parade......but the $$ explanation is likely just nonsense.    Pentagon does not want to do the parade so it tosses out some huge number...and when that was not enough, it recalculates and finds it will cost twice as much. 

I was involved with government contracts back in the day of the $600 toilet seat and looks like the military still has some of the same bean counters.....no wonder the military budget is so bloated....especially if congress actually believes those estimates.     

Archived