Softball vs. uat game 3

1 minute ago, wildling said:

I don't think she did (make a play). Bama knew and were waiting for Podany to either get a hit or make a catch. Right ruling per the rulebook I'm looking at now as long as it was reported before the next pitch.

That sounds reasonable.....thanks.....

Meanwhile Carlson pitching a gem and getting no support....

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildling said:

I don't think she did (make a play before this one but after re-entering). Bama knew and were waiting for Podany to either get a hit or make a catch. Right ruling per the rulebook I'm looking at now as long as it was reported before the next pitch.

She made the catch on the first batter of the inning to record the 1st out.  The 2nd out was the one taken away.  

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

She made the catch on the first batter of the inning to record the 1st out.  The 2nd out was the one taken away.  

That's what I thought....so did they make the appeal in proper time?   BUT....not harm done as it turned out. 

Podany actually made the first out in the inning.  After that is when the protest should have occurred.  After the first pitch to the next batter was thrown, Podany was officially in the game.  

Auburn keeps them where they were.  Let's win this thing right here.  Rivera, Podany and Draper coming up

4 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Just now, AU64 said:

That's what I thought....so did they make the appeal in proper time?   BUT....not harm done as it turned out. 

OK my mistake. I still think the rule was applied correctly though, Bama can report it whenever they want, even though a lot of time has passed and Podany made plays. CMD could have corrected it at any time as well with no penalty (unless directly after Podany made a play).

Last chance for AU....down 1-0 and Carlson has done about all she could have done today...

Just now, wildling said:

OK my mistake. I still think the rule was applied correctly though, Bama can report it whenever they want, even though a lot of time has passed and Podany made plays. CMD could have corrected it at any time as well with no penalty (unless directly after Podany made a play).

That's wrong.  See my post above.  Once she makes a play or gets a hit and a pitch is thrown to the next batter, the substitution is official. 

1 minute ago, wildling said:

Assuming that's true, waiting until a key hitter was involved might have been their best chance to get a do-over after an out.  MD dodged a bullet on that one however. 

Rivera with a HR....boy that could not have come at a better time to tie the game.....

Just now, around4ever said:

That's wrong.  See my post above.  Once she makes a play or gets a hit and a pitch is thrown to the next batter, the substitution is official. 

I have the rulebook in front of me. It's not 1000% crystal clear, but there definitely isn't anything that says what you said. If it was as you said, it would be very unlikely Bama would even think they could challenge it, and that the ump would misapply such a simple rule.

Draper drops down but stepped out of the box.  1 out, Podany returns to 1st.    Damn it.   Taylon Snow up.

So the new batter's box rule strikes again with Draper.....seems by now we would have learned how to live with it....cost us an out.

Snow grounds to 2nd, throw goes to 2nd to get the lead runner.   McCrackin up, Wild pitch, and Snow slides in head first safely at 2nd but is slow to get up.  

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

Wow... is on the line out of the box??

Any part of the batters foot.   It used to be the entire foot had to be out, not anymore.  Rule change this year. 

Just now, jared52 said:

I wonder why there isn’t a similar rule to blocking bases as there is to blocking the plate.

There is and it should have been applied. 

Just now, WarTiger said:

Any part of the batters foot.   It used to be the entire foot had to be out, not anymore.  Rule change this year. 

Yep, saw the graphic after I asked. Hard to tell with the line being gone. Probably correct though. 

McCrackin singles to left, SZnow comes around 3rd and slides in head first and is SAFE.  TIGERS win 2-1.

Archived