Softball vs. Missouri Cancelled

Game 3 of our series with Missouri has been cancelled due to cold weather.   Pretty much what I expected before the games yesterday when I checked the forecast.     Back to it next weekend when Arkansas visits Auburn.

8 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Game 3 of our series with Missouri has been cancelled due to cold weather.   Pretty much what I expected before the games yesterday when I checked the forecast.     Back to it next weekend when Arkansas visits Auburn.

Good news-bad news scenario  I guess....

I’m going to take it as good news.... I don’t think trying to avoid a sweep in 30 degree weather with snow and 20mph winds was favorable for Auburn. 

I agree.  Am reminded of the UT series in 2016.  Rained out the Friday game, I think, causing a Saturday doubleheader. We got run-ruled twice that day, then the Sunday game was rained out again, mercifully.  Wound up in the Championship Series in OKC.  Not saying there's a chance of that happening again, just saying the girls will recover.

18 minutes ago, all4AU said:

I’m going to take it as good news.... I don’t think trying to avoid a sweep in 30 degree weather with snow and 20mph winds was favorable for Auburn. 

I agree as well.  Once the weather turned colder, our heart wasn't in it.  

It was going to be just as cold in the Mizzou dugout. As it is, we did get swept (0-2) by the worst team in the league. I'd rather we had a chance to finish the trip on a positive note. Our fan confidence must be at a very low level. So far, I'm the only poster here that wanted the team to play.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

It was going to be just as cold in the Mizzou dugout. As it is, we did get swept (0-2) by the worst team in the league. I'd rather we had a chance to finish the trip on a positive note. Our fan confidence must be at a very low level. So far, I'm the only poster here that wanted the team to play.

Missouri has a lot of players from sunny California, but their team has played in the cold much more this year than we have. Look no further than our players’ Instagram posts about their return home from “Misery” as they put it. The girls seemed to want nothing more than to get the heck outta there. 

6 hours ago, all4AU said:

Missouri has a lot of players from sunny California, but their team has played in the cold much more this year than we have. Look no further than our players’ Instagram posts about their return home from “Misery” as they put it. The girls seemed to want nothing more than to get the heck outta there. 

If they wanted to get out of there rather than having a chance to win a game, something's very, very wrong with the thinking/atmosphere/competitive spirit/call it what you will. I have coached teams. I have coached girl's high school basketball teams. I don't understand the "oh it's cold let's just go home" attitude. I understand that it wasn't their decision, the PTB made the call. Still, not playing shouldn't be something to be happy about.

On 4/16/2018 at 7:40 AM, Mikey said:

If they wanted to get out of there rather than having a chance to win a game, something's very, very wrong with the thinking/atmosphere/competitive spirit/call it what you will. I have coached teams. I have coached girl's high school basketball teams. I don't understand the "oh it's cold let's just go home" attitude. I understand that it wasn't their decision, the PTB made the call. Still, not playing shouldn't be something to be happy about.

I agree. I wish that wasn't their attitude, but unfortunately, it was. 

6 minutes ago, all4AU said:

I agree. I wish that wasn't their attitude, but unfortunately, it was. 

Lots of Gulf Coast,  Florida and California girls.....not sure I blame them...:)

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Lots of Gulf Coast,  Florida and California girls.....not sure I blame them...:)

The SEC tournament is going to be in Missouri. Should we just throw in the towel and not go? I mean, it might be 52 degrees or somethin'....

If the weather is used as an excuse for poor play, that's a failure of coaching. It rains/snows/sleets/ gets hot on both teams.

I was born and raised in Miami and never saw snow until I joined up. At age 17, the Air Force handed me a rifle and assigned me to walking guard duty with 6 inches of snow on the ground, 18 degree temperature and blowing sleet. What do you think would have happened had I said "Gee Sarge, I'm a Florida kid and just can't handle snow"?

If the coaching staff allows the team to wimp out over weather, we've got some big, big problems.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

The SEC tournament is going to be in Missouri. Should we just throw in the towel and not go? I mean, it might be 52 degrees or somethin'....

If the weather is used as an excuse for poor play, that's a failure of coaching. It rains/snows/sleets/ gets hot on both teams.

I was born and raised in Miami and never saw snow until I joined up. At age 17, the Air Force handed me a rifle and assigned me to walking guard duty with 6 inches of snow on the ground, 18 degree temperature and blowing sleet. What do you think would have happened had I said "Gee Sarge, I'm a Florida kid and just can't handle snow"?

If the coaching staff allows the team to wimp out over weather, we've got some big, big problems.

I get the point but at Missouri the team was mentally whipped ....like it or not....and the coach was not going to get them over it in a few hours over night. 

JMO but it was a good break for AU that the game was cancelled....not that AU made the decision....but like a "gimme putt"....just take it and don't ask questions.  

Archived