Softball selection show

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

Agreed, it is painful.  But when you look at it objectively and how we finished the season, our road troubles - we are  a long shot for much of a post season run.  Hope springs eternal and anything is possible.  I just hope they play their best.  When the team is on, they are a very good team.  Problem is too up and down from game to game.

Our best hope for advancement IMO was to get a home field advantage....now that we are "permanently" on the road, it's hard to see us going very far.   That home field advantage is huge.  Those games we frittered away late in the season have really cost the team dearly. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, GBAU83 said:

Agreed, it is painful.  But when you look at it objectively and how we finished the season, our road troubles - we are  a long shot for much of a post season run.  Hope springs eternal and anything is possible.  I just hope they play their best.  When the team is on, they are a very good team.  Problem is too up and down from game to game.

I think the quickest fix to our hitting is getting hits with runners in scoring position. Heck if we can just get a sac fly it would help.  How many times have we been 2nd and 3rd with 1 out or less and got nothing?! Maybe our newcomers will be clutch now that we are in CWS tournament. Casey is one that could be clutch. Alyssa has shown it some. Victoria needs to step up as a senior slapper.  I hope she will just chop it every time.  No one can catch her if it gets a high bounce. 

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

Our best hope for advancement IMO was to get a home field advantage....now that we are "permanently" on the road, it's hard to see us going very far.   That home field advantage is huge.  Those games we frittered away late in the season have really cost the team dearly. 

I know this is slim, but we aren't "permanently" on the road. If we win in Tallahassee and ULL wins in Baton Rouge, the Cajuns would come here for a Super Regional once again. 

1 hour ago, all4AU said:

know this is slim, but we aren't "permanently" on the road. If we win in Tallahassee and ULL wins in Baton Rouge, the Cajuns would come here for a Super Regional once again. 

OK...that would be good...

so if we pull for an upset in the LSU bracket, might as well root for Fordham to give us the best chance after that  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

so if we pull for an upset in the LSU bracket, might as well root for Fordham to give us the best chance after that  

Well, then...Let's Go Rams!

Do I have this correct. We are the number 2 seed in the bracket with the overall #6 seed.  That would make Auburn the overall number 27 seed. That is if you take the #2 seed in the bracket with the overall number 16 seed as the overall number 17 seed. I know Auburn struggled down the stretch but to drop as far as #27 is a little bit low IMO.

was it more putting #2, #3 and #4 seeds in a region closer to home instead of where the team actually ranked?

Some are saying that KY got to host to give Michigan and Notre Dame a nearby regional.  I think they do try to get teams to nearby regional sites, but it doesn't always work.  Recall last year we had Notre Dame and Cal.  Someone did some calculating with the RPIs of the top 3 teams in each regional.  Tallahassee is the strongest regional, with a total RPI of something like 58.  Tuscaloosa is the weakest, I think their total was 92.

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

The Cajuns have gone into Baton Rouge and won a regional title on more than one occasion. I honestly don’t think it happens this year, but one can hope. Auburn has never won a regional on the road so we can definitely hope to see that trend reverse. 

19 hours ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Do I have this correct. We are the number 2 seed in the bracket with the overall #6 seed.  That would make Auburn the overall number 27 seed. That is if you take the #2 seed in the bracket with the overall number 16 seed as the overall number 17 seed. I know Auburn struggled down the stretch but to drop as far as #27 is a little bit low IMO.

was it more putting #2, #3 and #4 seeds in a region closer to home instead of where the team actually ranked?

I think it was more a case of once you put the top 16 in place, finding the nearest, non-conference spot for a #2 to go to.  So for AU to go something close we get Tallahassee and Missouri goes to Oklahoma, Mississippi goes to Arizona, Miss St goes to Arizona State

So, If I read the bracket right, FSU is the only team from their conference to make the tournament?  Is that correct?  I know they won the ACC tournament and they have a good RPI (8) but does that indicate a weak conference - a glimmer of hope for our Tigers!

We play on Thurs or Friday?

We play on Friday at 11 Central.  And yes, the ACC is a weak conference. I believe Notre Dame plays softball in the ACC, and they are in the tournament. So FSU typically glides through the conference schedule without getting nicked much, and picks up RPI points by playing heavyweight nonconference opponents like Oregon, Florida, etc. They played a couple of home-and-home doubleheaders against us recently.

44 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

Any way to watch the game ?

I think ESPN uses their Bases Loaded channel to jump around between games. Maybe they will be on WatchESPN. Hopefully not the paid one. 

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I think ESPN uses their Bases Loaded channel to jump around between games. Maybe they will be on WatchESPN. Hopefully not the paid one. 

Friday is set for WatchESPN (not the new ESPN+). 

Every game of the NCAA Tournament will be on WatchESPN, but Bases Loaded will whip around, and some of the ESPN Networks are showing full games. 

On 5/15/2018 at 4:59 PM, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Oww!!

That made my head hurt.

BTW, McNeese St. is up 8-0 on Baylor in the 4th.  Could be a run-rule.  McNeese pitcher has thrown 25 pitches in 3 innings.

I was wondering if there was a thread for the tournament. See in the 4th Missouri down to Tulsa 4-1 as well. Was it an upset that ND beat Michigan? Thinking only mild since they were not hosting.

Well, spit. Don't know why it deleted most of my post. ND over MI a mild upset. Baylor scored 4 in bot 4 to tighten that game up.

Archived