safety CJ Harris ineligible

AUDub

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We’ve certainly had our share of success stories when it comes to walk-ons with the latest being Hastings. I guess we will never know how it could’ve been. The good thing is his seizures are under control at his age now that he’s able to drive. 

Are there not legal forms of medication that are just as effective? 

Tends to vary from patient to patient. His doctor decided on this course of treatment

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I’m no Dr but you may not understand what it’s like to be a walk on.  There’s a reason why most only hang around a couple years..  you take a beating 

This is true its a god awful situation.......................... in college scout team get the frickin crap beat out of them but you do it for the love of the game. Hate it for the kid.........................

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Tends to vary from patient to patient. His doctor decided on this course of treatment

Nothing else will work but marijuana?

Just now, AU-24 said:

Nothing else will work but marijuana?

Try different things until you find what’s effective. Patients respond to drugs in different ways. 

30 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m guessing if the NCAA was willing to devote the resources, they could determine who needed the exceptions. Kinda like the way the hardship waivers were before the NCAA got lazy.

What's the criteria, though? CBD oil can be used to treat pain, inflammation, anxiety and depression, etc. I'm just thinking that the uses are so broad, that almost anyone could get a prescription for it. 

I think this stuff should be legal. I just don't know how the NCAA would be able to define a legitimate use, and then screen players who are using it. Unless you create an extremely narrow exception, like limiting it to individual's diagnosed with epilepsy (recorded history of seizures, etc.), you are going to have a really substantial amount of players across all sports, divisions, etc. who are trying to take advantage of the exception.

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

What's the criteria, though? CBD oil can be used to treat pain, inflammation, anxiety and depression, etc. I'm just thinking that the uses are so broad, that almost anyone could get a prescription for it. 

I think this stuff should be legal. I just don't know how the NCAA would be able to define a legitimate use, and then screen players who are using it. Unless you create an extremely narrow exception, like limiting it to individual's diagnosed with epilepsy (recorded history of seizures, etc.), you are going to have a really substantial amount of players across all sports, divisions, etc. who are trying to take advantage of the exception.

NCAA criteria for Auburn issues. Murphy's law -"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".:-\

Stupid rule created by stupid people, enforced by stupid people, and upheld by stupid people. What can you do with so much stupid?

Here’s the ignorance of all this. Methadone and Oxycodone are prescribabale but canabis oil isn’t? Let that sink in!

The NCAA needs to be dismantled. It’s a joke of an organization. 

56 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I agree that it should be legalized. But aside from that long, derailing, discussion, the other ailments that you listed can be treated with many other drugs on the market. Not only that they can be just as effective. The side effects are less severe with cannabis oil but there are alternatives that the NCAA can require the athletes to try first. There could be a rigorous process (which the NCAA won’t set in place) in the application for the usage of prohibited drugs allowing for exceptions where the NCAA deems appropriate. But the NCAA won’t dive into the gray area for one player. 

The biggest issue I have is you have a player like Tim Williams admitting to NFL teams that he failed multiples drug tests at bammer without any punishment. The NCAA couldn't care less about a school refusing to punish players for illegal drug use but they will rule a walk on player ineligible for taking a doctor prescribed drug that keeps him from having epileptic seizures. It is pathetic.

Alabama can buy Chargers, have a strength coach give a player cash, use performance enhancers, and generally cheat the system in every way.

We have a poor kid just trying to walk on who has a legitimate medical need that doesn't enhance his playing ability. He's a flipping walk on that probably wouldn't even contribute much. Just leave him be. He's not a Cam Newton transferring in to shatter the REC.

I should have stayed in Public Relations. It's insane how many groups need common sense in their PR departments keeping them from idiotic decisions like this.

If it doesn't hurt performance and it's not illegal than leave it be.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

the other ailments that you listed can be treated with many other drugs on the market. Not only that they can be just as effective. 

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but there are a lot of drugs on the market that treat epilepsy, too. Medications that treat anxiety and depression are hardly one size fits all, and it's reasonable that CBD would work some individuals where prescription medication wouldn't. 

My point is that if the NCAA is going to make an exception, it needs to be narrowly-tailored. Otherwise, the exception swallows the rule - and that's the problem that likely keeps the NCAA from making any exception. 

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It should be legalized imo.

Agreed, and until that happens, the NCAA won't do a darn thing. For the sake of individuals like Harris, I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Try different things until you find what’s effective. Patients respond to drugs in different ways. 

Feel bad for the kid; but it’s obvious what he has to do, if he wants to play.

As has already been posted; maybe the deer antler spray or something else, can help his condition more than marijuana.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Alabama can buy Chargers, have a strength coach give a player cash, use performance enhancers, and generally cheat the system in every way.

We have a poor kid just trying to walk on who has a legitimate medical need that doesn't enhance his playing ability. He's a flipping walk on that probably wouldn't even contribute much. Just leave him be. He's not a Cam Newton transferring in to shatter the REC.

I should have stayed in Public Relations. It's insane how many groups need common sense in their PR departments keeping them from idiotic decisions like this.

If it doesn't hurt performance and it's not illegal than leave it be.

I simply can’t understand, I mean it never ceases to amaze me, why there are not attorneys with some spine, that are willing to challenge the obvious favoritism shown to Alabama in these issues. But year after year, time after time, it just doesn’t happen.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, I guess he’s not working and sweating out in the heat, then driving with a stolen weapon, with Cannabis in the vechicle, because that would be OK as well.

Let's at least give him a new charger. NCAA doesn't seem to have an issue with that.

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I simply can’t understand, I mean it never ceases to amaze me, why there are not attorneys with some spine, that are willing to challenge the obvious favoritism shown to Alabama in these issues. But year after year, time after time, it just doesn’t happen.

I can't remember when it was but that bs about Saban going on an annual fishing trip with the head of the NCAA's enforcement guy was mind boggling. They've had numerous assistants serve as scapegoats after proof of paying players occurred.

The damn Buidne$$ deci$ion school

I still feel the builds of some of there kids just aren't natural...

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but there are a lot of drugs on the market that treat epilepsy, too.

I don’t think so. Even then, some of the variety are mood stabilizers- like adderall, also illegal. 

My point is that if the NCAA is going to make an exception, it needs to be narrowly-tailored. Otherwise, the exception swallows the rule - and that's the problem that likely keeps the NCAA from making any exception.

True

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t think so. Even then, some of the variety are mood stabilizers- like adderall, also illegal. 

I'm no expert, but according to my wife the pharmacist, there are a lot of drugs on the market that treat epilepsy.

40 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm no expert, but according to my wife the pharmacist, there are a lot of drugs on the market that treat epilepsy.

Agree 

Everyone, Auburn fan or not, needs to rail on the NCAA for this crap. They need to be inundated with letters, emails, phone calls, etc.

700 W. Washington Street
P.O. Box 6222
Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222
Phone: 317-917-6222

Twitter - https://twitter.com/NCAA

12 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Agree 

Just to be clear, the point I was making was not to say there are other drugs that will/could work for him. CBD appears to be the only medicine that has effectively eliminated his seizures.

I only brought that up as a part of discussing the other uses for CBD.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

My daughter has epilepsy and takes an anti-convulsant which is also.used on patients with bipolar disorders. Like you said, there isn’t a cookie cutter miracle drug on the market that fixes anxiety, and the same holds true for epilepsy. I have a co worker with a 13 year old daughter with focal epilepsy and she’s prescribed adderal and other meds. So if there aren’t plenty of legal options that are effective on a case by case basis, what does the NCAA do? 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

My daughter has epilepsy ms takes an anti-convulsant which are also.used on patients with bipolar disorders. Like you said, there isn’t a cookie cutter miracle drug on the market that fixes anxiety, and the same holds true for epilepsy. I have a co worker with a 13 year old daughter with focal epilepsy and she’s prescribed adderal and other meds. So if there aren’t plenty of legal options that are effective on a case by case basis, what does the NCAA do? 

Unfortunately, I think we both agree that they aren't going to do anything. And, I don't think they will do anything until the laws change. The NCAA could care less about guys like CJ Harris. It's a shame. 

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The NCAA could care less about guys like CJ Harris. It's a shame. 

Mmhmm 

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Can be legally purchased in Alabama right now. 

Archived