safety CJ Harris ineligible

AUDub

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Unfortunately, the Auburn medical staff can't examine him if he's not connected to the team, so there is no way to see if he is fit to play without offering him. It's not their fault that they disagreed with whomever cleared him to play in high school. I'm glad they put the well-being of a kid before football.

Many, many thanks. Explains a lot, but ^that^ should not be.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Of course there is often a lot we do not know about the guys who get "offers" from AU or any school....health, grades and sometimes even legal issues....but when the school learns things that it did not know, it can't ignore them.  JMO but the opinion was made for the benefit of the student. 

Hard for me to know what to hope for on behalf of this kid but it bothers me that a parent seems willing to go against what is probably  competent medical advice for his son to not participate in a contact sport like SEC football which is about the most intense contact sport this side of the NFL.  

Putting his son at risk by encouraging his son to play despite medical advice otherwise?      Nobody else find this unusual or worrisome?  

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Of course there is often a lot we do not know about the guys who get "offers" from AU or any school....health, grades and sometimes even legal issues....but when the school learns things that it did not know, it can't ignore them.  JMO but the opinion was made for the benefit of the student. 

Hard for me to know what to hope for on behalf of this kid but it bothers me that a parent seems willing to go against what is probably  competent medical advice for his son to not participate in a contact sport like SEC football which is about the most intense contact sport this side of the NFL.  

Putting his son at risk by encouraging his son to play despite medical advice otherwise?      Nobody else find this unusual or worrisome?  

Actually can't disagree w./ that (or lionheart's above), either. Guess what I'm getting at is whether or not our "offers" are made in a way that clearly explains their conditional nature? If not, they should be. Before anyone commits to us, they should understand how committed (or not) to them we are.

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Major legal stuff there. Medical info is about as personal as it gets, according to the law, so there is no way that they would tell a student that they would have to subject themselves to exams by every team that is considering them. At the same time, I wouldn't want a kid to have to go through that, either.

The fact that he didn't qualify does more to call his high school and parents into question than Auburn, in my opinion. It doesn't cost Auburn anything to have a preferred walk-on on the team, so they certainly weren't looking for a reason to send him packing.

Of course, we still haven't heard from PTB. I hate to think that Auburn was pressured into saying he wasn't medically cleared by the NCAA, to take the heat off of them, but with as little respect as I have for them, it wouldn't completely surprise me.

Guess what I'm getting at is whether or not our "offers" are made in a way that clearly explains their conditional nature?

I haven't seen our official offers, but I would be beyond shocked if they didn't have language in there about qualifying both academically and physically (via medical exam). 

I think it says a lot about CJ if he's willing to try another med if it will allow him to play college football for Auburn or some where else. Auburn is his first pick though. That shows a lot guts on CJ's part.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably no longer relevant to anything, but

bump-worthy news?

The FDA Just Approved a Marijuana-Based CBD Drug for Epilepsy, @

https://www.prevention.com/health/a21940738/marijuana-cbd-oil-fda-epilepsy-epidiolex/

54 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

bump-worthy news?

https://www.prevention.com/health/a21940738/marijuana-cbd-oil-fda-epilepsy-epidiolex/

I assume it does not cure the disease ....only enables the person to handle the effects and likely does not lessen the risks that a head injury might cause.

bump-worthy news?

I don't think anything a legal entity does will change the NCAA's stance, at least not in the near term.

i had a girlfriend a few years back and here seizures were so violent they put her in the hospital. once when she was just sun bathing. it was horrible and once it started she had no way to protect herself be it driving or crossing a busy intersection,etc. so i applaud auburn for looking out for the kid. i hope and i bet auburn does as well that he can figure out a way to get what he needs so he can live his dreams. bless him.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I assume it does not cure the disease ....only enables the person to handle the effects and likely does not lessen the risks that a head injury might cause.

Heavens to Murgatroyd! I'm clueless. Not a doctor, and probably quite incapable of playing one on TV. Moreover, not well-versed in the general etiology of epilepsies (much less those targeted in the Approval, i.e., "it reduced seizures in people with Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome without the harsh side effects of typical epilepsy drugs, which can include nausea, blurred vision and liver problems."). I assume that FDA approval of any sort only implies "safe and effective" for the targeted use.

2 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Heavens to Murgatroyd! I'm clueless. Not a doctor, and probably quite incapable of playing one on TV. Moreover, not well-versed in the general etiology of epilepsies (much less those targeted in the Approval, i.e., "it reduced seizures in people with Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome without the harsh side effects of typical epilepsy drugs, which can include nausea, blurred vision and liver problems."). I assume that FDA approval of any sort only implies "safe and effective" for the targeted use.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS question your meds. i took lexapro for depression and turned suicidal when before i doubt i ever thought much more about it than the average joe. when i quit lexapro it went away like a bad dream. new meds these days i do not think are fully vetted and are too often a crapshoot. be careful what ya take folks. now back to our normal broadcast.............lol

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS question your meds. i took lexapro for depression and turned suicidal when before i doubt i ever thought much more about it than the average joe. when i quit lexapro it went away like a bad dream. new meds these days i do not think are fully vetted and are too often a crapshoot. be careful what ya take folks. now back to our normal broadcast.............lol

It's almost like big pharma pays people to let them get away with stuff. 

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

You be careful as well.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:30 PM, aujeff11 said:

We’ve certainly had our share of success stories when it comes to walk-ons with the latest being Hastings. I guess we will never know how it could’ve been. The good thing is his seizures are under control at his age now that he’s able to drive. 

Are there not legal forms of medication that are just as effective? 

We definitely  had a successful walk-on when Kevin Greene decided to.  Now in the NFL Hall of Fame

11 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Just another casualty of the war on drugs. 

Can we please decriminalize everything?

This is just another reason I am an AnCap

Learned something today.

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Learned something today.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I did, also. Guessing it was the same thing. 

HaHa!

Me three.

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I did, also. Guessing it was the same thing. 

18 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

HaHa!

Me three.

Great Minds 

never mind

Interestingly, the Big 3 just OKd the use of CBD oil for their athletes. No idea how they will test the oil against the use of marijuana for their players. Maybe this issue can be revisited soon as more players use the oil for various ailments. 

55 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Interestingly, the Big 3 just OKd the use of CBD oil for their athletes. No idea how they will test the oil against the use of marijuana for their players. Maybe this issue can be revisited soon as more players use the oil for various ailments. 

from what i understand many forms of cbd oil do not contain thc or such small amounts it remains legal. but if i was fighting any kind of issue i would want the complete oil because in my mind it might heal better tho i just have a hunch on that and nothing concrete.

I still feel that Auburn is doing the wrong thing. This kid is not some guy on the street taking drugs for the hell of if.

12 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I still feel that Auburn is doing the wrong thing. This kid is not some guy on the street taking drugs for the hell of if.

Be that as it may, he's a potential risk because of his preexisting condition. And if he was brought in and got RDT'd he would fail and stay suspended until the law and sports regulating bodies relent on punishing those who use such medicinals. This problem goes above Auburn's head, right or wrong...

On 5/31/2018 at 5:14 PM, lionheartkc said:

Unfortunately, the Auburn medical staff can't examine him if he's not connected to the team, so there is no way to see if he is fit to play without offering him. It's not their fault that they disagreed with whomever cleared him to play in high school. I'm glad they put the well-being of a kid before football.

So basically the lawyers got involved?

Archived