2020 4* LB Demouy Kennedy

WFE12

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/06/tide-commit-demouy-kennedy-shares-nick-saban-recruiting-pitch-gus-malzahn-reaction-to-decommitment.html

Tide commit Demouy Kennedy shares Nick Saban recruiting pitch, Gus Malzahn reaction to decommitment

Today 5:59 AM

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

Once committed to Auburn, Theodore linebacker Demouy Kennedy gave his verbal to Nick Saban and Alabama on Sunday.

On Wednesday, he shared the biggest impression Nick Saban left on him, while discussing how Auburn coach Gus Malzahn took the news of his decommitment.

“I loved the visit and the (Alabama) campus,” said Kennedy, who joined me and Lee Shirvanian on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 on Wednesday morning. “I like how they treated me. They took care of me there. They are going to make sure I’m alright.”

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Kennedy had been committed to Auburn last summer but announced in March he had decommitted.

He was asked about the process of decommitting from Auburn.

“I told (Malzahn) I was just excited, and I didn’t know what to do,” Kennedy said. “I said, ‘recruiting was new to me. I was just excited and didn’t know what to do with it.’ He said he understands, and he thinks I’m making the right decision.”

Theodore 4-star linebacker Demouy Kennedy commits to Alabama

Kennedy released a Top 5 last week that, along with Alabama, included Auburn, LSU, Georgia and TCU.

Of the recruiting trips Kennedy took, he was most impressed with Alabama’s facilities, citing the barber shop, game room and weight room as examples.

Perhaps even more memorable was Saban’s pitch to Kennedy during his visit.

They were standing next to two tables, he said. One was clear of anything. The other had championship rings on it.

“I liked when he said, ‘Would you rather gamble on this table (pointing to the ring table) or the other table?' I said, ‘I’m gambling on the ring table.’"

Kennedy finished 2018 season with 100 tackles, including 15 for a loss, and 12 sacks. He also intercepted two passes for the Bobcats, who won the Class 7A Region 1 title.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to admit have rings on the table is a powerful pitch.  I was hoping we could find a way to keep him. So now we just need to pick up the pieces and find some other LB's.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Have to admit have rings on the table is a powerful pitch.  I was hoping we could find a way to keep him. So now we just need to pick up the pieces and find some other LB's.

We are likely to take 3 true LBs & a good spot with a number of them. Lead for Cam Riley, Trenton Simpson, Tisdol, & may lead with Wesley Steiner. All 4*s. Lead with 3* Rodney Groce although the others mentioned are higher on our staff's board. Also in the thick of it with Bama for Buck target Phillip Webb.

Strange...no mention of the excellent educational opportunities he would have at bama….just another "business decision" I guess....

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Would love to give him something to think about...even make them sweat abit

Nah. We’re good. We have three really good linebackers committed. We’re not taking a fourth unless some people look at Philip Webb as a linebacker.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, AU64 said:

Strange...no mention of the excellent educational opportunities he would have at bama….just another "business decision" I guess....

Are you being serious? 

Archived