Devin Adams - An Auburn Man

AURex

Thank you DA for your dedication and commitment to Auburn.

By Grant Keith
AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. – The path to Auburn for senior quarterback Devin Adams wasn't always a smooth and easy ride. Growing up in Prichard, Alabama, he was raised by a single mother after his father passed away when he was a teen.

It was at that point that his mother, Felicia, became his rock.

"She was always a rock, but the rock became more firm," Adams said. "She told me whatever your dream is, you go for it, and I'm right behind you. She's been there physically, mentally, emotionally and every state, and I just thank her for that."

His mother might be his rock, but Adams wouldn't be where he is today without the help of his two longtime friends – Tre' Williams and Deshaun Davis. The two Auburn linebackers, one former and one current, played a key role in bringing Adams to the Plains. Beginning at four years old, the trio did everything together and formed a bond that would not be broken even after leaving the Mobile area.  

"Blood wouldn't make us any closer," Davis said of Adams. "When I say that, I mean it. People always say all the time, 'Y'all are such good friends.' We're not friends. That's my brudda."

Adams received various scholarship offers out of high school, but he elected to go to Mississippi Delta Community College to hone his skills after a last-minute coaching change at the college where he initially committed. After two seasons of ups and downs in junior college, the opportunity to earn a scholarship and go compete for a starting job at many schools across the country was there. However, family won out.

The 6-foot-3, 239-pound quarterback felt it was time to return home and be reunited with his two "bruddas" at a school he knew would genuinely care for him.

"A lot of people from my family didn't go to college," Adams said. "The ones that did go to college didn't finish. To be able to get a degree and then turn around and try to get a second degree while playing football at one of the biggest schools in the country and be that shining light to people that you can make it – that's everything.

"Tre' and Deshaun paved my way and helped me every step in getting to Auburn. They said it best – make sure you're with family. And now that means not just Tre' and Deshaun, but the whole Auburn family.

"Everybody has their own road, their own path. So I just wanted to let people know when the tables turn against you, no matter how adversity comes, you still can do it."

In May, three years after first enrolling at Auburn, Adams graduated with a degree in interdisciplinary studies. He's also continuing his football career at Auburn as he pursues a second bachelor's degree in adult education.

It's unlikely you'll see Adams take meaningful snaps for the Tigers this season. He's behind Jarrett Stidham, Malik Willis and Joey Gatewood on the depth chart. But that's not why he opted to return for his final season. He returned because of his lifelong friend, Davis. The two wanted to share one last ride together and be there for each other.

"Because he's a walk-on, he might not get the opportunities to play a lot," Davis said. "But he's always kept a humble head. He never got discouraged. If he got reps in practice, he took advantage of them. Coach [Gus] Malzahn gave him the name, 'the natural' because he always says, 'No matter if [Adams] doesn't get reps during practice or whatever – at the end of practice whenever they put him in, he's slinging the rock. It's natural to him.'"

Though this will be his last season 'slinging the rock' for Auburn, it doesn't mean that Adams is finished with football. He plans on turning it into a career once his time as a player is done as he looks to join the coaching ranks. He loves dissecting the game and arguing about the Xs and Os with teammates whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Regardless of where he goes next, Adams will also be forever grateful to the Auburn family.

"I haven't started or played a down and people know my name," Adams said. "They're so in tune with the roster, the people, the players. They know everything about you. They're so in tune with the university and the football team and they love everything about us. It takes a lot to know the players from top to bottom – some that don't even play – and just know their story.

"I just say thank you for the support. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world."

As for the legacy Adams wants to leave at Auburn, he simply wants to be remembered as a good teammate and a teammate who created a bond with every player he came in contact with. There's a reason he's known on the team as "little brother."

"My goal is to make the most of every opportunity," Adams said. "You can ask anybody on the team, I don't get as many reps, but I go in there and make the most of those reps and what you have to do to be seen and get your respect in that manner.

"At the end of the day, I came to Auburn to let people know that I can play football. I think I've proved that point. To gain respect from your teammates, you prove that you can play, and then they want to know your story. Why wasn't he on scholarship? Why didn't he come here straight out of high school? To open that gate and then tell my story after that -- it means so much to me.

"You make the most of every opportunity that you get and once you make the most of those opportunities, you tell your story of how you got there. That's who Devin Adams is."

https://auburntigers.com/news/2018/8/17/football-be-that-shining-light-devin-adams-senior-spotlight.aspx

A strong person never had an easy past or and easy path. Devin Adams is a strong person. Congratulations to him. 

I'm proud to call Devin an Auburn Man.  He epitomizes The Auburn Creed.  I would love to see him get an opportunity to play meaningful snaps in a game.  I wish him the very best going forward.  I know he will make a difference in many lives when he leaves Auburn. 

War Eagle Devin!!

3 hours ago, around4ever said:

I'm proud to call Devin an Auburn Man.  He epitomizes The Auburn Creed.  I would love to see him get an opportunity to play meaningful snaps in a game.  I wish him the very best going forward.  I know he will make a difference in many lives when he leaves Auburn. 

War Eagle Devin!!

Cue Rudy, I mean Devin

rudy-drinking-game-11.gif

I love the idea of the "Auburn man", but sometimes I think we make a little more of it than we should, like it's something other places can't have.  

Devin Adams just seems like a great human being, no matter where he went to school.  Epitomizes everything great about college athletics.  It also points out that we have a head coach who, even though the idiot can be strong in him on game day, he affirms his players in ways we never see but should be awfully proud of and thankful for.  My hope for Devin is that he replicates that as his life's calling.  Man do I love Devin Adams, thanks for posting.

22 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I absolutely Love the fact this was done for him. Makes me proud to be an Auburn Tiger!

Agree but I didn't think we had any scholarships to give. Can anyone shed some light on this. Just curious. @ellitor? @Zeek?

Just now, BJCrawford said:

Could it be Tyler Carr leaving?

I just read the Al.com article and it said this put us at the 85 limit. You may be right in your guess. I forgot about that. 

35 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Agree but I didn't think we had any scholarships to give. Can anyone shed some light on this. Just curious. @ellitor? @Zeek?

I've said it countless times. Players who have been at school 2 years minimum before 1st going on scholly do not count against the 25 yearly new schollied player limit. They only count to the 85 total scholly limit.

14 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Could it be Tyler Carr leaving?

Players leaving has no bearing on the yearly new scholly limit. Carr leaving gave us a scholly under the 85 total limit we could give to a walk on that had been at AU at least 2 years, usually goes to a walk on JR or SR as in this case.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I've said it countless times. Players who have been at school 2 years minimum before 1st going on scholly do not count against the 25 yearly new schollied player limit. They only count to the 85 total scholly limit.

Thanks but I wasn't asking about the 25 limit. I was asking about the 85. Thank you for answering more than countless times. 

13 hours ago, gr82be said:

Thanks but I wasn't asking about the 25 limit. I was asking about the 85.

My apologies for assuming you meant the 25 limit & not the 85 limit.

Archived