2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Okay. This may be his 4th year at Auburn, but third to have meaningful playing time. He played in only 2 games last year.

In 2017, Stove tied for second, with Darius Slayton, among wrs with 29 catches. Davis was targeted too many times. In '16, Stove, as a freshman, was third among wrs with 23 receptions, behind Ryan Davis and Tony Stevens. Doesn't seem he was ignored, or not developed, just none of them were for tds.

Most of those, were his speed sweep toss pass thing.

19 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@McLoofus, no one is "hard up" to argue with you. I'm so confused. Sometimes, you and I have the most interesting conversations about football. Other times, if I don't just wholesale agree with you, you react like it's always the same ole thing! C'mon. You staked out a non-nuanced position on a message board and didn't want to discuss it? You didn't say "we don't develop guys other than the top four guys"; you said "we don't develop WRs." There is a difference. No matter what E tried to inject, your position was not limited to the backups. This is a message board. If you're going to take a broad-brush position like that, you cannot be surprised when someone wants to talk about it or disagrees with you.

I would say, we do a pretty good job of identifying the guys we want to feature, and on the whole, we develop those guys. Slayton got better. Ryan Davis got better. Eli Stove has gotten better. Will Hastings has gotten better. Seth Williams did NOT show up a fully formed WR. He's better now than he was last year. 

What I don't think we do is develop depth. The biggest difference between Rodney Garner and Kodi Burns (other than one being a cool, old-guy, badass) is Garner's ability to develop depth. Davidson and Brown have improved over four years, but at the same time, he was helping Truesdell along. Kodi doesn't seem to be able to do that. He's done a good job coaching Stove, Herring, Williams, and Schwartz, but he did a bad job with Nate Craig-Myers (5 catches for 88 yards in his debut at CSU last week). He hasn't been able to move Matthew Hill along. We haven't seen anything from Shedrick Jackson yet. Nothing from Zach Farrar. Nothing from Jashawn Sheffield.

I can't blame Kodi for Kyle Davis or really even Jason Smith, but really good coaches build depth. To this point, Kodi hasn't been able to do that. We need to sign four guys, in part, because we didn't sign anyone in 2017. The only WR we signed is our starting CB right now. So that's your senior class next year... nonexistent. But we also need to sign four guys this year because we have absolutely no idea what we have behind our top four.

Okay, you're not hard up to argue with me. You just have a propensity for nitpicking, getting hung up on trivial semantics, ignoring the forest for the trees and, in this case, arguing with me about something I didn't say. Re-read the post you initially responded to. I said there's a lack of development. Don't make me do the thing where I post the dictionary definition of "lack". 

Yes, of course the guys who actually get to play have gotten a little better. Not much, but a little. That's what happens when you get to play. You also think that Gus made Nick Marshall better from 2013 to 2014, when Nick had the benefit of going from no offensive identity to begin 2013 to winning the SEC to running the exact same offense in 2014 with a lot of the same personnel plus adding the best pure pass catcher we've had since Frank Sanders. Of course he got a little better. 

As for what E contributed, you just said the same thing except with way more words, yet failed to mention Marquis McClain. 

There is an ongoing lack of development at WR. 

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

#1 CB in the 2022 class Khamauri Rogers. There will be a Miss St. visitor thread Friday FWIW.

Everyone still feeling good about DL recruiting?  Most of the Top 50 DTs are already committed elsewhere and I'm not seeing any pass rushers that appear to be leaning hard to AU.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Everyone still feeling good about DL recruiting?  Most of the Top 50 DTs are already committed elsewhere and I'm not seeing any pass rushers that appear to be leaning hard to AU.

Cautiously optimistic, sure. I'd say Rodney's history justifies it. I don't share your disdain for his recruiting and development of edge rushers, current roster scenario notwithstanding. 

The Charles Moore thing was a bit of a blow, but I have to imagine he was considered a bit of a gamble to begin with. 

I won't be surprised if he has a juco ace up his sleeve. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Cautiously optimistic, sure. I'd say Rodney's history justifies it. I don't share your disdain for his recruiting and development of edge rushers, current roster scenario notwithstanding. 

The Charles Moore thing was a bit of a blow, but I have to imagine he was considered a bit of a gamble to begin with. 

I won't be surprised if he has a juco ace up his sleeve. 

I don't know if I would call it disdain, I just think he's past his prime.  

48 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Feeling good about DL recruiting is not the best phrase. Garner closes strong late most of the time so until he doesn't then he has & has earned most of our faith in him. Pass rusher though is a legit concern if we lose Webb to Bama or LSU & can't flip Romelo Height from Miami.

36 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't know if I would call it disdain, I just think he's past his prime.  

And given the Steele Curtain of a DL we have right now that's a ludicrous opinion to have.

quick hit on receiving (receivers) this year:

targeting the TE is increasing A LOT!  And Nix is hitting them if I recall correctly.   I love how Nix is hitting those secondary targets, if they are his second choices.

Targeting  the TE will limit some balls thrown to WRs.

Also, Gus is keeping Bo from having to throw too much, thus less targets.   My perspective is mostly from the TAMU game.   I know he  threw it a bunch vs Tulane and even Oregon relative to the last two weeks.

I think Gus has had the luxury of not asking Bo to go win the game for us (except the 4th QTR vs Oregon).  

I am not a sunshine pumper for Gus, agree the WRs seem under-developed, but tickled to death how this season is unfolding with the progress being shown.  I think Dilly is having some influence in game planning.   LOVED how Whitlow was 100% fresh for the 3rd quarter after the TAMU linebackers were 'exercised well' in the first half.   Was that RB by committee (for Gus)?  Maybe Gus is turning a page?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

And given the Steele Curtain of a DL we have right now that's a ludicrous opinion to have.

It's not ludicrous to be disappointed with the last few classes and this upcoming one.  The players you're referring to were recruited 3-5 years ago.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It's not ludicrous to be disappointed with the last few classes and this upcoming one.  The players you're referring to were recruited 3-5 years ago.

Well consider this then. We are the leader for a 5* DT & may be for a 5* Buck (who is visiting AU a lot) both from the 2021 class in Lee Hunter & Dylan Brooks. Also since you want to incorrectly pigeon hole my statement let's look at some things from 2 years & less. From the 2019 class Derrick Hall is developing & playing well when healthy. From the 2018 class Newkirk has finally gotten healthy & is playing well. And if I may, from the 2017 class RS Soph Truesdel is starting & playing damn well. The convergence of those things happening wouldn't be happening if Garner was past his prime. So like I said, ludicrous opinion.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

RS Soph Truesdel

He's been a godsend this year and surprised the heck out of me.  Roster has him listed as junior though? Which is correct if you know for sure?

Sidenote: What's the deal with Nick Coe?  I'm guessing he's gotta have some sort of injury slowing him down.

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

You were dissapointed with three 4 stars and and a highly ranked 3 star that has played valuable snaps already this season?

Hall, Handy, Moore, and Wooden was a pretty dern good class

I think last year's class has three solid guys in it. Hall was ready to contribute already, and Stone Handy looks like a HUGE get. Wooden is going to be a player.

I'm more confused that he said "the last few classes" which seems to include the 2017 class:  TD Moultry, Big Kat Bryant, Tyrone Truesdell, and Alec Jackson (now on the OL). Unless the complaint is volume, I don't understand the complaint. Heck, even the 2018 class, I don't think I understand:  Coynis Miller, Richard Jibunor (transferred), Daquan Newkirk, and Caleb Johnson.

It kinda looks like we're signing 4 guys per year, and we have a washout rate of about one guy. That's pretty damn good.

27 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

He's been a godsend this year and surprised the heck out of me.  Roster has him listed as junior though? Which is correct if you know for sure?

Sidenote: What's the deal with Nick Coe?  I'm guessing he's gotta have some sort of injury slowing him down.

Something I forgot to mention in my weekly thread after a game I attended, Coe has had an arm brace in every game.  On the sidelines I have seen him nitpicking at it and showing discomfort.  If I had to guess he has something messed up in his arm that he may need surgery for and is delaying until after the season.  That is purely a guess from observation but his arm is definitely bothering him.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Roster has him listed as junior though? Which is correct if you know for sure?

I guess he's a JR. Felt like he RSed a year to me.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

What's the deal with Nick Coe?  I'm guessing he's gotta have some sort of injury slowing him down.

Correct.

50 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I'm more confused that he said "the last few classes" which seems to include the 2017 class:  TD Moultry, Big Kat Bryant, Tyrone Truesdell, and Alec Jackson (now on the OL). Unless the complaint is volume, I don't understand the complaint. Heck, even the 2018 class, I don't think I understand:  Coynis Miller, Richard Jibunor (transferred), Daquan Newkirk, and Caleb Johnson.

It's just an opinion Dyehard has been relentless on & occasionally brings back up.

21 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Okay. This may be his 4th year at Auburn, but third to have meaningful playing time. He played in only 2 games last year.

In 2017, Stove tied for second, with Darius Slayton, among wrs with 29 catches. Davis was targeted too many times. In '16, Stove, as a freshman, was third among wrs with 23 receptions, behind Ryan Davis and Tony Stevens. Doesn't seem he was ignored, or not developed, just none of them were for tds.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Most of those, were his speed sweep toss pass thing.

I think not, Bird. In 2016, Stove had 11 carries. In 2017, he had 30 carries. Seems those would have to be the speed sweeps you mention. For we know he did not have any rushes out of the backfield.. Which means the pass receptions mentioned above, were indeed pass and catches.

41 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I think not, Bird. In 2016, Stove had 11 carries. In 2017, he had 30 carries. Seems those would have to be the speed sweeps you mention. For we know he did not have any rushes out of the backfield.. Which means the pass receptions mentioned above, were indeed pass and catches.

Interesting.

When the QB tosses the ball up in the air to the speed sweep guy they count it as a pass and reception. 

They stared tossing it rather than handing it off because if there was to be a bobble and the ball hits the ground it becomes an incomplete pass rather than a fumble

Archived