Are there solutions with the OL?

doc4aday

i knew the line was going to be a problem this year. you can find my legit posts on other threads from after last season. when i am not melting. 

but in all seriousness yes, we just need to recruit a little better, better coaching, and time. just time. its not going to happen this year. but a positive will be that basically next year all guys will be here returning. its not the answer you may want now but i think this group can grow into something special next year.

lets see how the recruiting shakes out this year. grimes will need to step up there now for the base OL in 2020-2022. i think they can be pretty good in 2019, but 2018 it just not there yet. sorry.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, au302 said:

I feel like Horton and Driscoll have to be benched. Troxell and Ashley have to be better than this. We need a spark.

100% agree, especially about Horton. He looks like a true freshman right now. Can't believe he's the best we have for that spot. Arkansas was getting past him with ease.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, Auctoritas said:

I keep seeing "Leave Harrell, he's doing an adequate job." I think he did not have his best game last night (he seemed to be getting beat a lot), and he is WAY too slow to be a pulling guard. There were several screen passes or RB tosses last night that would have gone for yardage had he made it to his block.

I guess the word 'adequate' is a relative term. I suppose most people saying that (me included) are just saying we have other OL issues that might be more critical. 

If we are going to make changes, this will be the week to get them some experience. Let's see what happens with the OL and the running back positions in the game on Saturday against Southern miss. 

If Gus wants to get the running game up a notch, he needs to bring in the TE more often and have an additional blocker on the line and throw to him a few times a game. I doubt he will do this though. Let's see what happens this Saturday.

5 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Just wanted to point out that Arkansas has a very good D-Line, statistically the best run defense in the SEC.

True and one of the worst passing defenses in the league. So something is going on here..

43 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

If Gus wants to get the running game up a notch, he needs to bring in the TE more often and have an additional blocker on the line and throw to him a few times a game. I doubt he will do this though. Let's see what happens this Saturday.

Especially since the TE left the team.  DOH!

Recently the grades were released objectively. The lowest score grade on offense was our QB. Driscoll graded highest across the oline. Harrell was the lowest score on the Oline and had the lowest score of the year.

just FYI.

i think we will see some changes again this week. 

13 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Recently the grades were released subjectively. The lowest score grade on offense was our QB. Driscoll graded highest across the oline. Harrell was the lowest score on the Oline and had the lowest score of the year.

just FYI.

How much of Harrell's play was due to him supposedly playing through injury? It sounds like we're dealing with several nagging injuries at G and C, which could be impacting play.

I think it's part of it. Interestingly, our highest score on the OLine for the year was Ashley against ASU. I know the coaches don't think Ashley has the meanness to attack the Dline, but I think his physical attributes are the most game ready. 

To me, it looks like our guys are put in a position to do things that are pretty advanced athletically. For example, if your strength isn't oline, then screens that require a guard to go pull across the field might not be the best play. But what do i know? 

Im just a bus driver. Caedmons call anyone?

2 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

Just wanted to point out that Arkansas has a very good D-Line, statistically the best run defense in the SEC.

Holy cow, you're right. Arkansas has the 7th best rush defense in the country. My goodness how are they so bad as a team??

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

49 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Recently the grades were released objectively. The lowest score grade on offense was our QB. Driscoll graded highest across the oline. Harrell was the lowest score on the Oline and had the lowest score of the year.

just FYI.

Do we know what goes into the score? I would have thought that Horton would be below Harrell, just from watching as a fan.

54 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

just FYI.

Grades from PFF? Scouts? Or Auburn’s coaches?

55 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Gatewood starting at QB ?

I would divide the poor play (it's not all poor) that I have seen into three categories:

1. Lack of effort: I've seen too many guys watching a play that was still happening, or moving to the attack point at half speed
  2. Lack of execution: OL putting in the effort, but blocking the wrong guy or not getting to the point of attack
  3. Lack of strength / aggression: We've just gotten physically whipped on occasion

Bonus problem (and in the OL's defense): It still looks like defenses can jump the count on us. In an offense that relies on getting OL to the right position on the right man quickly, that is going to kill our blocking.

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Holy cow, you're right. Arkansas has the 7th best rush defense in the country. My goodness how are they so bad as a team??

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

Even with our crappy rushing performance helping them out, if you take the game against AU away, they still average giving up only 2.8 ypc, which still ranks them the exact same, 7th in the nation. Granted their competition hasn't been great, but they haven't given up many rushing yards. 

Another solution would be passing to the TE. I realize Gus has ignorantly eliminated TE passes, but he should really reconsider. It would get the ball out of Stidham's hands faster and counter the weak o-line.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Even with our crappy rushing performance helping them out, if you take the game against AU away, they still average giving up only 2.8 ypc, which still ranks them the exact same, 7th in the nation. Granted their competition hasn't been great, but they haven't given up many rushing yards. 

Mostly because everyone has thrown a good bit of yardage on them.  Eastern Ill. threw for 357 yds, Colorado St threw for 389, and North Texas threw for 281.  Everyone of those teams threw for more yards than we had in rushing and passing combined.

Archived