Are there solutions with the OL?

doc4aday

I’ve seen #77 in the backfield more than some of Auburn’s RBs this season.  Kim struggled mightily in the LSU game but I saw 77’s guy run right past him multiple times and almost take the hand off.  He’s the only guy other than Kim that has stood out to my untrained eye getting beat on the Oline.  Even if Ashley or Troxell only end up being marginally better it would be an improvement.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Even with our crappy rushing performance helping them out, if you take the game against AU away, they still average giving up only 2.8 ypc, which still ranks them the exact same, 7th in the nation. Granted their competition hasn't been great, but they haven't given up many rushing yards. 

Their competition has been Eastern Illinois (W), Colorado State (L), No. Texas (L), Auburn (with an inept rushing attack) (L).  

We'll see how they rank after they take on @aTm, Bama, OleMiss in the next 3 weeks. 

I believe aTm will pass all over them and Mond will run them ragged, Bama will pass all over them & mix in the run & TE a lot and OleMiss will pass & run on them.  Arkansas just has no offense worth a crap, they'll be lucky to get another 2 wins this season.

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Well that is shocking. 

So Are we thinking it may be Prince, Ashley, Brahms, Horton, Driscoll?

That's what i think will happen. But i can't reiterate enough that the staff doesn't particularly think Ashley is a starter. 

6 hours ago, doc4aday said:

If Gus wants to get the running game up a notch, he needs to bring in the TE more often and have an additional blocker on the line and throw to him a few times a game. I doubt he will do this though. Let's see what happens this Saturday.

What tight end??

30 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

That's what i think will happen. But i can't reiterate enough that the staff doesn't particularly think Ashley is a starter. 

I'm sorry but if he's too soft to start on THIS offensive line then he must be ready for powder puff football.

7 hours ago, doc4aday said:

If Gus wants to get the running game up a notch, he needs to bring in the TE more often and have an additional blocker on the line and throw to him a few times a game. I doubt he will do this though. Let's see what happens this Saturday.

You are day late and a dollar short Doc.  Why the hell didn't you contact the our staff about the need to use the TE more in the passing game, before the dang fella decided to red-shirt/transfer last week? 

Were you too busy sending emails and complaints to the SEC office about cooling benches or crappy referees?   Priorities Doc - Priorities! 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

What tight end??

congrats on the Red Sox!  I am a big Braves fan & would love to see a Boston & Atlanta WS.

34 minutes ago, keesler said:

You are day late and a dollar short Doc.  Why the hell didn't you contact the our staff about the need to use the TE more in the passing game, before the dang fella decided to red-shirt/transfer last week? 

Were you too busy sending emails and complaints to the SEC office about cooling benches or crappy referees?   Priorities Doc - Priorities! 

You are right!  I need a few jolts of  reality here and there!  I would do it all over again though, when it comes to coming to the aid of my Tigers no matter how futile and possible waste of good time it may be. I like your posts and enjoy your take on things .

7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Especially since the TE left the team.  DOH!

.We still have Shenker, Brown, and Canella on the roster at the TE position. I was referring to those guys and knew Harris left the team. No harm done my friend!

We had some success with passes to Cox who usually powered his way for a first down.  That part of offense has all but disappeared.  Maybe because  CC is our most reliable blocker.  Don't know the answer.  Last year Nate and Hastings made a lot of mid range receptions.  Since they are apparently out of the picture it seems Seth Williams is our No. 1 target for those passes and that's only once or twice a game

Apparently Harrell has been playing injured. Is a injured Harrell > highly touted Calvin Ashley???

12 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

If we are going to make changes, this will be the week to get them some experience. Let's see what happens with the OL and the running back positions in the game on Saturday against Southern miss. 

We will look like a pro team. We always beat up on the have nots. It's the teams with equal or superior talent we have difficulty with. When we can't just out talent them, we are 50/50 or worse. 

10 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Holy cow, you're right. Arkansas has the 7th best rush defense in the country. My goodness how are they so bad as a team??

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

Because the other 3 teams they have played are teams they should dominate statistically. 

I mean who couldn't be one of the best statistically when you are playing the likes of Eastern Illinois, Colorado State, and North Texas? 

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Is a injured Harrell > highly touted Calvin Ashley

Is Calvin really so bad that they won't give him a decent shot? It's painfully obvious the O-Line is not where it needs to be. Why not try Calvin? Maybe he turns it up a notch when it's game time.

5 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Is Calvin really so bad that they won't give him a decent shot? It's painfully obvious the O-Line is not where it needs to be. Why not try Calvin? Maybe he turns it up a notch when it's game time.

See conventional logic would lead one to assume that us starting a banged up Harrell must mean that Calvin is terrible or just not ready.

However, seeing how this staff has misused and underused different personnel there is just no telling. It's hard to believe all of our big shot recruits are busts.

Side note: I really didn't like how CL talked about Seth Williams taking over NCM "blocking role" so it was quite intentional that NCM wasn't getting targets and instead was a big body perimeter blocker??? If CL is so blatant about that being the role I'm amazed NCM didn't say "deuces" a lot earlier. Seth is also much more than a blocker.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Side note: I really didn't like how CL talked about Seth Williams taking over NCM "blocking role" so it was quite intentional that NCM wasn't getting targets and instead was a big body perimeter blocker??? If CL is so blatant about that being the role I'm amazed NCM didn't say "deuces" a lot earlier. Seth is also much more than a blocker.

That stuck out to me, too. And I mentioned that in the NCM thread. We'll see if Williams continues to get regular targets now that he's actually being asked to do what NCM did.

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

See conventional logic would lead one to assume that us starting a banged up Harrell must mean that Calvin is terrible or just not ready.

However, seeing how this staff has misused and underused different personnel there is just no telling. It's hard to believe all of our big shot recruits are busts.

I mean...I wasn’t going to say anything but yes that was interesting indeed.

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

To me, when I hear CCL talk I envision CGM with his hand in the back of CCL feeding him the words.  It’s the offensive narrative and it is not what happens all the time.  So maybe there is hope.  CGM said at half Auburn needs to run the ball and we came out and threw it.  Watch what we do, not what we say.

As to the bolded part; NCM bought into the narrative that we fans do at the beginning of the year and by the 4th game NCM knew it will be the same ole, same ole.  It’s actually interesting that the redshirt rule is set at 4 games, the exact amount of time it takes CGM to reveal himself.

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I didn't catch that, but yes, that's troubling if we're using highly rated skill players like that. It goes to show the coach's aren't being very creative in getting these guys the ball. 

Here's Chip's exact words on it, and I do not like the idea of Seth Williams receiving skills being squandered because they've made him fast offensive lineman like they did with NCM:

"I really thought Seth did some good things from a blocking standpoint," offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. "... I thought Shedrick Jackson really stepped up in the role he was in. He did a great job for us on our buck sweeps. I liked it. I think we're going to be just fine."

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Here's Chip's exact words on it, and I do not like the idea of Seth Williams receiving skills being squandered because they've made him fast offensive lineman like they did with NCM:

"I really thought Seth did some good things from a blocking standpoint," offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. "... I thought Shedrick Jackson really stepped up in the role he was in. He did a great job for us on our buck sweeps. I liked it. I think we're going to be just fine."

If that doesn't vindicate NCM I don't know what does.

The kid had a blocking role and he wanted to be targeted. This isn't Georgia Tech's triple offense we can actually use talented receivers...

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If that doesn't vindicate NCM I don't know what does.

I think it certainly does, and it sounds like Gus and Chip are basically taking our physically biggest wideouts and turning them into blocking receivers, regardless of their potential as a pass-catching/producing WR. I will be following Seth Williams stats from here on out to see if he stops making catches and being thrown to. If he drops off, then its confirmed that the NCM's former position is really just blocking role. 

"The great thing about Kodi Burns when he played for us and we won the national championship, our receivers were the best blocking receivers in college football. I don't think it was even close," Malzahn said. "He's instilling that same mentality in them. They're playing extremely hard. They're a bunch of young guys out there, too. They're really playing extremely well right now."

https://auburntigers.com/news/2016/10/27/Auburn_s_Gus_Malzahn_praises_his_stable_of_running_backs.aspx

“Really a big thing is our coach wants us to block,” Craig-Myers said. “If you block, you’re going to get the ball. I feel like I made that step in blocking, I made a few plays down the field, so I just feel like they want me to take that next step as well.”

http://sports.usatoday.com/2018/03/24/auburn-wr-nate-craigmyers-understanding-coaches-trust-factor/

Archived