Are there solutions with the OL?

doc4aday

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So he did his part with blocking and the targets never came...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bingo. 

Good luck, Seth. 

Makes you wonder how many passes are predetermined to go to a specific receiver and how many are actual reads...

To turn this around to the original topic, I think if the OL continues to struggle the answer isn't screens for days but something similar. We still need routes that target the middle and deep parts of the field but we need to go back to something we actually did quite well against Washington. Stidham should always have a check down for 2-5 yards. We haven't been doing this consistently and it changes a lot of things, we also quit rolling Stidham out so much.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Right now he's...

lcdCMWz.gif

I can't think of a better way to toughen up than to face high quality DLs that believe they can walk over you. We're struggling. I would toss him in there and see if something switches on for him when it's not his teammate lined up across from him.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Makes you wonder how many passes are predetermined to go to a specific receiver and how many are actual reads...

giphy.gif

There is one solution.

The Atlanta Falcons are only a couple hours away.  We can suit their offensive line up in our guys' unis.

They probably don't even have to see the playbook but once since it's only 2 pages.

Probably still would be cheaper than Saban's payroll...

If you didn't have a head coach so locked into his offensive system, a normal team's OC would find ways to adjust the offensive scheme to benefit their strengths and hide their weaknesses to give the team a chance to move the ball more efficiently. 

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

To turn this around to the original topic, I think if the OL continues to struggle the answer isn't screens for days but something similar. We still need routes that target the middle and deep parts of the field but we need to go back to something we actually did quite well against Washington. Stidham should always have a check down for 2-5 yards. We haven't been doing this consistently and it changes a lot of things, we also quit rolling Stidham out so much.

ALL

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

I don't wonder about that at all.:laugh:

16 minutes ago, oracle79 said:
7 hours ago, Zeek said:

I don't wonder about that at all.:laugh:

Well, so far seems 90% of them are designed to go 2 yds beyond the LOS to Ryan Davis.

2% go to the other receivers and 8% go out of bounds.

On 9/23/2018 at 2:07 PM, gr82b4au said:

Also I am starting to wonder if the blocking scheme under the Chip L offense is just not going to work with this OL. 

I don't think you understand how it works on this forum.  If you have something negative to say about the team it is ALWAYS Gus to blame.

Chip is the savior of Auburn, he can do no wrong.  Every good play = Chip called it, every bad play = SIGH GUSED AGAIN!

12 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

Here's Chip's exact words on it, and I do not like the idea of Seth Williams receiving skills being squandered because they've made him fast offensive lineman like they did with NCM:

"I really thought Seth did some good things from a blocking standpoint," offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. "... I thought Shedrick Jackson really stepped up in the role he was in. He did a great job for us on our buck sweeps. I liked it. I think we're going to be just fine."

Whoa, wait, what?  

"Shedrick Jackson really stepped up in the role he was in. He did a great job for us on our buck sweeps"

So, does this mean that the only time Jackson was in the game was on the buck sweep?  if so, that tells us a lot. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nothing screams authority like a post count of 35. 

Loof, in fairness he/she has been a member since 2010. And they are kinda right. 

Screenshot_20180926-075026~2.png

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Loof, in fairness he/she has been a member since 2010. And they are kinda right. 

Touche on the first part. Disagree on the 2nd. 

Our offense doesn't change from play to play. That is the problem. We have good stretches and bad stretches, and you can very easily see the philosophical shifts between them. The LSU game last year is a perfect example. The LSU game this year is another perfect example. And sometimes the offense will go a couple possessions looking like something creative and aggressive, and then it will go a few possessions looking exactly like the worst versions of the 2015 and 2016 offenses. 

Nobody has ever said that Gus calls the bad plays and Chip calls the good ones. What is obvious to me is that Gus sometimes leaves some slack in the leash and other times yanks it pretty hard. This is not uncommon in football, I don't imagine. What is uncommon is just how poor Gus's judgment can be in these matters sometimes.  

Look at last season. We started the season with Chip on the sideline, even though he had always coached from the box like most OCs do. Who was in the box? Gus's good buddy Herb Hand. Chip clearly didn't have full control of the offense and the offense suuuuuuuuuucked. After a few games, Chip moved up to the box and we saw immediate, dramatic improvement that lasted right up until we got a 20 point first half lead on LSU. Then what happens? Gus is quoted at halftime as saying, "How many points can they score on us?" He blamed the play calling on Chip and Chip accepted that blame, but do you really think that it was Chip's decision to go vanilla and go away from what was working? 

After that humiliating debacle, we tore the SEC a new one with creative, aggressive play calling. And it continued into the SECCG until our team quite literally broke down against another team that ended up 1 play away from a national title. 

So what's different this year? I can only speculate. But, especially with the OL coaching change, I'm firmly of the opinion that Gus is exerting undue influence on the proceedings. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Touche on the first part. Disagree on the 2nd. 

Our offense doesn't change from play to play. That is the problem. We have good stretches and bad stretches, and you can very easily see the philosophical shifts between them. The LSU game last year is a perfect example. The LSU game this year is another perfect example. And sometimes the offense will go a couple possessions looking like something creative and aggressive, and then it will go a few possessions looking exactly like the worst versions of the 2015 and 2016 offenses. 

Nobody has ever said that Gus calls the bad plays and Chip calls the good ones. What is obvious to me is that Gus sometimes leaves some slack in the leash and other times yanks it pretty hard. This is not uncommon in football, I don't imagine. What is uncommon is just how poor Gus's judgment can be in these matters sometimes.  

Look at last season. We started the season with Chip on the sideline, even though he had always coached from the box like most OCs do. Who was in the box? Gus's good buddy Herb Hand. Chip clearly didn't have full control of the offense and the offense suuuuuuuuuucked. After a few games, Chip moved up to the box and we saw immediate, dramatic improvement that lasted right up until we got a 20 point first half lead on LSU. Then what happens? Gus is quoted at halftime as saying, "How many points can they score on us?" He blamed the play calling on Chip and Chip accepted that blame, but do you really think that it was Chip's decision to go vanilla and go away from what was working? 

After that humiliating debacle, we tore the SEC a new one with creative, aggressive play calling. And it continued into the SECCG until our team quite literally broke down against another team that ended up 1 play away from a national title. 

So what's different this year? I can only speculate. But, especially with the OL coaching change, I'm firmly of the opinion that Gus is exerting undue influence on the proceedings. 

I assumed he was referring to game threads. Pretty back and forth on the blame and credit given there by the same posters each week. No disagreement with your explanation. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I assumed he was referring to game threads. Pretty back and forth on the blame and credit given there by the same posters each week. No disagreement with your explanation. 

Ahh. Yeah. Those. 

23 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I think it certainly does, and it sounds like Gus and Chip are basically taking our physically biggest wideouts and turning them into blocking receivers, regardless of their potential as a pass-catching/producing WR. I will be following Seth Williams stats from here on out to see if he stops making catches and being thrown to. If he drops off, then its confirmed that the NCM's former position is really just blocking role. 

Same as it ever was.

21 hours ago, Zeek said:

Same as it ever was.

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Same as it ever was............

Now I've got that old 80's song by Talking Heads in my brain all day.  :banghead:

John Schlarman

Kentucky’s OL coach has secured and put out some pretty good OL in his time. The hardest part about getting him would be UK is his alma mater. 

His recruits from ‘14 forward are below. Current starters bolded:

2014:

OT Nick Richardson 4*

OT Josh Krok 3*

OG Jarrett LaRubbio 3*

OC Bunchy Stallings 3*

2015:

OT George Asafo-Adjel 3*

OT Logan Stenberg 3*

OG Mason Wolfe 3*

2016:n

OT Landon Young 4*

OC Drake Jackson 4*

OT Tate Leavitt 3* JUCO

OT Luke Fortner 3*

2017: 

OG Sebastian Dolcine 3*

OT Naasir Watkins 3*

OT Austin Dotson 3*

2018: 

OG Marquan McCall 4*

OT Darian Kinnard 4*

OC Quintin Wilson 3*

OT Nick Lewis 3*

OG Kenneth Horsey 3*

I know a lot of these are 3* guys but the numbers are whats overwhelming. Its obvious OL is a focus and theyre constantly replinishing. Pretty consistent. Sorry if this need to be posted elsewhere

Archived